Menu

Armour Thyroid?

Spryte

First, is it Armor or Armour?  :)  I keep mixing it up!

I am switching to this from synthroid, and am looking for any tips/experience.  Pretty sure several of you here take this type of thyroid med?

I read a little bit online, and was surprised to read that we should take it twice daily to keep the levels consistent throughout the day, and one article said to chew the pills before swallowing.  My doc and pharmacist didn't mention any of that!  So, do you split your pills and take in the am and pm?  Do you chew them or swallow them whole?

And if you switched from synthetic, what changes (if any) did you notice?  

My husband takes it. All at once in the morning without chewing and his levels are fine. He has done it both ways with no noticeable difference so he prefers to take all at once. I have heard others need to chew first and spread throughout the day.

• Like 1

Thanks, kewb!  How's your DH doing?  I hope he's still making progress in the Lyme fight.

Armour thyroid is what I use and love it.  I take it sublingual  at 8am and 2pm.  Keeps my levels spot on this way. 

Changes for me were--weight loss, no more brain fog, lots more energy, no more joint pain, no more moodiness.  

Wonderful to hear!  Do you remember how long it was before you saw changes?  ...I am anxious for some positive results, can you tell?  :)

Oh, and by sublingual - you dissolve under the tongue, like a homeopathic tablet?  Just making sure I get this right.  My brain is fuzzy, and I seem to need very specific, detailed directions lately.  Fingers crossed that this will change soon.

First, is it Armor or Armour?   :)  I keep mixing it up!

I am switching to this from synthroid, and am looking for any tips/experience.  Pretty sure several of you here take this type of thyroid med?

I read a little bit online, and was surprised to read that we should take it twice daily to keep the levels consistent throughout the day, and one article said to chew the pills before swallowing.  My doc and pharmacist didn't mention any of that!  So, do you split your pills and take in the am and pm?  Do you chew them or swallow them whole?

And if you switched from synthetic, what changes (if any) did you notice?  

I only take Armour.

Some people take it twice a day. Some don't. Did you *ask* your doctor?

I swallow mine whole. It would not occur to me to chew them. o_0

I take mine in the morning as soon as I get up, because I wait at least half an hour before eating.

Sythorid/all the synthetics did not control my thyroid numbers. I've been undermedicated for 20 years. ::head desk:: Which is why it's taking such a long time for my body to catch up and figure out what to do with the thyroid meds now.

I only take Armour.

Some people take it twice a day. Some don't. Did you *ask* your doctor?

I swallow mine whole. It would not occur to me to chew them. o_0

I take mine in the morning as soon as I get up, because I wait at least half an hour before eating.

Sythorid/all the synthetics did not control my thyroid numbers. I've been undermedicated for 20 years. ::head desk:: Which is why it's taking such a long time for my body to catch up and figure out what to do with the thyroid meds now.

Yes, I emailed the doc at the same time I posted.  

• Like 1

Thanks, kewb! How's your DH doing? I hope he's still making progress in the Lyme fight.

Hi, Spryte, he is still fighting the good fight in his lyme battle. Taking an IV

break and having Bicillin injections which are giving him some major herxing which we are hoping level out soon.

• Like 1

I take armour, twice a day. I love it. And yes, I chew it a bit first because the newer formulation doesn't dissolve as readily and that aids in its release.

• 8 months later...

Resurrecting old thread.

I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started on Armour thyroid recently. For those of you on it:

How long did it take for you to notice a difference?

What do you eat for breakfast since you can't have iron or calcium for four hours after taking it?

I started last month and felt better within days in some ways. I had more energy and less joint pain. I hope I'll see more improvement over the next few months. I thought the iron and calcium warnings were for supplements and not normal food. I don't eat much breakfast- mostly just coffee w/ cream. I take my pill when DH wakes me up. He goes to work really early, so then I go back to sleep for about an hour and I eat normally the rest of the day.

• Like 3

A little update, since this was my old thread.  :)

My levels have been consistent since starting, and when not fighting a bug as at present, I'm feeling pretty good.  We moved over the summer, and I could do lifting and heavy cleaning, fairly tirelessly.  :)  I am, however, dealing with a weight gain issue - diet and exercise, if very, very strict, seem to hold me at one weight, but the moment I slip on either of those - the weight creeps up.  This is a new issue for me.  I don't think the Armour is causing it, but we are doing more tests to determine the cause.

With other health issues at play, it's hard to tell what's causing what, but I take any improvements happily.  

• Like 1

Resurrecting old thread.

I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started on Armour thyroid recently. For those of you on it:

How long did it take for you to notice a difference?

What do you eat for breakfast since you can't have iron or calcium for four hours after taking it?

I'm not a big breakfast person, so I take it with black coffee.   :blushing:

• Like 2

I started last month and felt better within days in some ways. I had more energy and less joint pain. I hope I'll see more improvement over the next few months. I thought the iron and calcium warnings were for supplements and not normal food. I don't eat much breakfast- mostly just coffee w/ cream. I take my pill when DH wakes me up. He goes to work really early, so then I go back to sleep for about an hour and I eat normally the rest of the day.

Oh I hope you are right that it's just supplements. I can skip breakfast but I can't handle black coffee. Im a wimp.

Excited to hear that you started feeling better in a few days.

I take levothyroxine, not Armour.  But I have coffee with milk or half and half every morning 30-45 minutes after I take my medicine.  And my numbers are all doing very good.  So I don't think a bit of milk in coffee is a problem.  My undestanding is the same as Paige's -- that it's supplements that need to be avoided for a few hours.

• Like 2