Menu

Camping

kwg

We are going in a few days :leaving: and I have still got to find something to sleep on.  Dh is not at all sold on the idea but ds8 is so excited he is going to try so I would like something comfortable.   Plus I like to be comfy :coolgleamA:  Should I go with an air mattress and some kind of foot  pump? I am worried about holes.  We have the worst luck with those things!  So maybe a cot or a pad?  But which one?   We have amazon prime and tomorrow I can go to some stores if someone can point me in the direction on what to get. I have been looking at reviews.  

Part of the problem is I would love for it to be a "thing" for our family but since we have never been I hate to shell out a ton of $$$. OTOH I worry if dh is miserable, that will be the end of that.

It is not, btw, completely my fault that this came up so suddenly.  lol.  

The kids have sleeping bags (that is ok right?)

We are going with people so mostly my concerns are sleeping but if you have other tips etc, I would be pleased and grateful.  

Thank you!

We purchased a closed cell pad for our son when he joined Boy Scouts. It has made all the difference to him.

Here is a writeup about available sleeping pads from http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/boy_scout_gear_list#.VTamk6YvQ0s 

This article is written for parents of tween boys, but it has some good details about options and prices. I hope it helps.

SLEEPING PADS:

Sleeping pads are used to provide insulation from the cold ground while also giving you a softer place to sleep. There are two main types of pads: closed cell foam, and self-inflating. The two most popular closed cell foam pads are the Z-rest and the Ridge Rest from Therm-a-Rest with prices under $35 and weights under 1 pound. The least expensive closed cell foam pads are the baby blue pads 3/8 inches thick that cost less than $10 and weigh 8 ounces for a full-length pad. The Campmor pad is called Pack-Lite Closed Cell Foam Pad. Therm-a-Rest also makes the most popular self-inflating pads with prices from $50 to well over a $100 and weights ranging from just under a pound to over 5 pounds. I recommend the closed cell foam pads because they are lighter and less expensive while not being liable to punctures, as are the self-inflating pads. Remember, you are talking about an 11 to 13 year old taking care of this equipment and there are likely to be punctures if using the self-inflating pads. Another factor to consider is the weight of the Scout. A 65-pound Scout will not need as much padding as a 200-pound Scout. Unless you are camping in cold weather, a three-quarter length pad (48-51 inches) weighing 9-11 ounces and costing $16-30 will be adequate. To save even more weight, most boys do not need a 20-inch width closed cell foam pad so they can cut them down to a narrower width and/or even shorter length to save further weight.

The closed cell foam pad I recommend is the Therm-a-Rest, 48-inch length Ridge Rest closed cell foam pad that weighs 9 ounces and costs about $16. Another option that is thinner is the Campmor Pack-Lite 72-inch closed cell foam pad at $8 that can be cut down to fit your Scout.

• Like 1

Do you have friend who camp that you could borrow from this first time or two?

No, I do not think so.

We purchased a closed cell pad for our son when he joined Boy Scouts. It has made all the difference to him.

Here is a writeup about available sleeping pads from http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/boy_scout_gear_list#.VTamk6YvQ0s 

This article is written for parents of tween boys, but it has some good details about options and prices. I hope it helps.

SLEEPING PADS:

Sleeping pads are used to provide insulation from the cold ground while also giving you a softer place to sleep. There are two main types of pads: closed cell foam, and self-inflating. The two most popular closed cell foam pads are the Z-rest and the Ridge Rest from Therm-a-Rest with prices under $35 and weights under 1 pound. The least expensive closed cell foam pads are the baby blue pads 3/8 inches thick that cost less than $10 and weigh 8 ounces for a full-length pad. The Campmor pad is called Pack-Lite Closed Cell Foam Pad. Therm-a-Rest also makes the most popular self-inflating pads with prices from $50 to well over a $100 and weights ranging from just under a pound to over 5 pounds. I recommend the closed cell foam pads because they are lighter and less expensive while not being liable to punctures, as are the self-inflating pads. Remember, you are talking about an 11 to 13 year old taking care of this equipment and there are likely to be punctures if using the self-inflating pads. Another factor to consider is the weight of the Scout. A 65-pound Scout will not need as much padding as a 200-pound Scout. Unless you are camping in cold weather, a three-quarter length pad (48-51 inches) weighing 9-11 ounces and costing $16-30 will be adequate. To save even more weight, most boys do not need a 20-inch width closed cell foam pad so they can cut them down to a narrower width and/or even shorter length to save further weight.

The closed cell foam pad I recommend is the Therm-a-Rest, 48-inch length Ridge Rest closed cell foam pad that weighs 9 ounces and costs about $16. Another option that is thinner is the Campmor Pack-Lite 72-inch closed cell foam pad at $8 that can be cut down to fit your Scout.

Thank you!  That is helpful!

We bought something like this: http://www.rei.com/product/881182/rei-kingdom-cot

I'm the kind of person that if I don't sleep, I won't be able to enjoy myself, so even though these are expensive (we got them on a good sale and didn't pay that price for them), it's worth it to me to pay more for some sleep. 

Like you, whatever air mattress I buy, it always gets a hole in it. So, I would definitely suggest some sort of cot. Just be sure to bring some enough blankets and sleeping bags. With a cot, the air moves freely under you. If it's cold, a cot can make you colder as well if you don't bundle up. 

How cold will it be?  The trouble with air mattresses is that they don't provide any insulation.  If the temperatures are anything but balmy, you'll be cold on an airmattress.

A simple closed cell foam pad is your best bet for beginner camping - cheap and warm. 

• Like 1

We love self-inflating pads like thermarest. There are lots of sizes, styles, and prices. We got largish ones that we can use while we're camping, but we use them all the time for company (two stacked together is really comfortable), when were traveling and need an extra bed in a hotel, or when we've just moved and our stuff isn't there yet. We've gotten so much use out of those pads.

• Like 1

We do drive in camping in the state parks. Almost all sites have electric and water and we have always used an air mattress with a plug in pump. The one time we did it without electric, we borrowed a friend's battery operated pump. We lay an old comforter or quilt on the floor, then the air mattress. We have never had a problem. If you don't keep camping, you can use the mattress for guests?

Each person needs either a ridgerest or a thermarest + sleeping bag.  It wasn't clear to me whether you've already arranged sleeping bags for yourselves.

your climate will dictate a lot of your gear choices. We camp in cool & often wet & I'm perpetually cold so I have to have great gear.

my dh - who used to do field exploration geology & has had his share of being helicoptered in the middle of nowhere & left to fend for himself & told to be back in the same place for heli pick up in 2 weeks.... all this to say that he's roughed it plenty of times - is firmly devoted to air mattresses for our camping trips. I won't go anywhere near the thing as I find them way less comfy than a good thick self inlating thermarest. The air mattresses don't last long - I consider them practically disposable & I think he buys a new one every couple years.  He has to repump them every night too, which is I admit a source of constant amusement as he wrestles with it & it makes rude noises & he thrashes about while we make comments about flaccidity...

• Like 1

We love self-inflating pads like thermarest. There are lots of sizes, styles, and prices. We got largish ones that we can use while we're camping, but we use them all the time for company (two stacked together is really comfortable), when were traveling and need an extra bed in a hotel, or when we've just moved and our stuff isn't there yet. We've gotten so much use out of those pads.

Completely agree. Love them and they stand up very well.

• Like 1