Menu

If it looks like a rose bush in every way, but has never bloomed a flower in the four years we've lived here...

helena

is it a rose???

Now's my chance to dig up a few plants and put them in a perfect spot. But, never ever have I seen a bud or bloom. I've also never tried to feed them. Are there plants that look like roses but are really just non flowering bushes?? Could it be because they never get fed properly? 

Should I take a chance and move them to "prime property" in the garden? :) It'd be nice to save money and use what I already have. 

Wonder if pruning them a bit and feeding fish emulsion would yield something, however, in my experience the roses always bloom if I prune or not but the stems are sticking out wildly in all directions.

ETA: Yes, sun is helpful.  :)

There are poor blooming roses. I've had a few that barely bloomed...eventually they went to live in the compost pile.

Perhaps yours is a once bloomer and it's either getting frozen out during the winter or someone is trimming and pruning prior to the bloom.

If it has sun--lots of it--and has been fed and still doesn't bloom, you'll have to decide whether it's worth the garden space.

Edited to add....a friend of mine swears by putting a shovel in the dirt next to the rose. As a threat, ya know....sometimes she says the rose responds. wink, wink...

• Like 3

I can post a picture tomorrow, I'm going to have to learn how to do that.

They get a lot of direct sun and even though I'm not purposely watering them (over the years), they stay green and lively enough... I'm in So Cal, so roses do well here. The house came with about 5 or 6 what seemed to be rose bushes. 2 have bloomed regularly. None of them taken very good care of. 

I was just out there, I couldn't resist and pulled out what I thought was one bush. Turns out to have been 5 separate small ones bunched together. They don't look like they're dying. I see new growth, but no buds. The soil seems fine. 

I pruned them. 

My mom used to do the fish emulsion... that was a healthy garden! Maybe it's time to try that. My vegan family will be confused and horrified by the smell!  :lol:

it sounds like an unhappy with its location rose.

they do need an amount of sun. some wants lots, some can do okay with just half a day, but they want sun. (as well as nutritious soil and water.

different species and varieties of roses have different needs.  some roses are delicate and need to be babied - and some do well in the freeway median with no attention at all.

• Like 1

Is it possible that the graft has died and all you're left with is the rootstock?

This. The original rose was almost certainly grafted onto a commercially grown rootstock of a different variety. This is common (but unfortunate) practice for propagating roses.

The grafted part of the bush died, but the rootstock survived and sent up canes. These canes don't set blooms because they do not experience enough chill-hours in your temperate Southern California climate to set buds.

The rosebush is worthless. Get rid of it.

Bill

• Like 3

I can post a picture tomorrow, I'm going to have to learn how to do that.

They get a lot of direct sun and even though I'm not purposely watering them (over the years), they stay green and lively enough... I'm in So Cal, so roses do well here. The house came with about 5 or 6 what seemed to be rose bushes. 2 have bloomed regularly. None of them taken very good care of. 

I was just out there, I couldn't resist and pulled out what I thought was one bush. Turns out to have been 5 separate small ones bunched together. They don't look like they're dying. I see new growth, but no buds. The soil seems fine. 

I pruned them. 

My mom used to do the fish emulsion... that was a healthy garden! Maybe it's time to try that. My vegan family will be confused and horrified by the smell!  :lol:

Once rootstock overtakes the grafted rose it will often send runners so it will seem like there are multiple plants instead of just one.

Do not waste resources on this rose. Keep it if you like "the plant," but it will never bloom.

Bill

• Like 1

This. The original rose was almost certainly grafted onto a commercially grown rootstock of a different variety. This is common (but unfortunate) practice for propagating roses.

The grafted part of the bush died, but the rootstock survived and sent up canes. These canes don't set blooms because they do not experience enough chill-hours in your temperate Southern California climate to set buds.

The rosebush is worthless. Get rid of it.

Bill

My mom used to call this 'going wild'. It's one of the reasons I like own root plants...like antiques.

OP if it helps we just took out a medium sized rose that just never performed well. Frankly, I'm enjoying the empty spot a lot. I hadn't realized just how often I was going past that rose and fussing at it. Nice for it to be gone.

• Like 1

My mom used to call this 'going wild'. It's one of the reasons I like own root plants...like antiques.

OP if it helps we just took out a medium sized rose that just never performed well. Frankly, I'm enjoying the empty spot a lot. I hadn't realized just how often I was going past that rose and fussing at it. Nice for it to be gone.

I also prefer roses on their own roots. Not too many nurseries stock these, but ever rose I've planted in the past decades has been "own root."

Antiques.

Bill

I also prefer roses on their own roots. Not too many nurseries stock these, but ever rose I've planted in the past decades has been "own root."

Antiques.

Bill

Antiques are the only way to go! Tough and beautiful.  I'm thankful for Antiques Rose Emporium being right here in my state. Several local nurseries carry their stock....although this year my gardening mantra is 'no more roses...' We shall see how well I do with that...

Right now is the first round of blooms for spring. My yard is lovely and smells great!

• Like 2

If they're getting good sun, and two of what look like a lot are blooming, and you'd otherwise like to have roses in that location, I would try -- this one season -- pruning them back, feeding them, and seeing if anything happens.  No downside to trying.  I've brought back neglected bushes that we didn't even know were there for 4+ years in my FIL's house this way; it can happen.  

If that doesn't work, I'd try the shovel trick.  I'm quite intrigued by the shovel trick!

And if that doesn't work, pish.  

it sounds like an unhappy with its location rose.

they do need an amount of sun. some wants lots, some can do okay with just half a day, but they want sun. (as well as nutritious soil and water.

different species and varieties of roses have different needs. some roses are delicate and need to be babied - and some do well in the freeway median with no attention at all.

We brought some of the wild roses down from my parents' mountain home when we bought this house six years ago. The plants have been fine, but they've never flowered. This is just the wrong place for them. They're going home later this spring.

You could not pay me to go back to grafted roses. Own root all the way!

dr huey is the most common rootstock.  it's a rambler than can be trained as a climber.  (so the canes would be longish).  nice red flowers, doesn't repeat.  blooms on 1yo wood.  (iow: if it's rootstock, try pruning)

I only buy own root from online nurseries.  grafted are popular ONLY because they get to "market" size faster.  (and MUCH cheaper.)

though I might try a grafted Austrian copper.  they tend to sucker badly and make a thicket.