Menu

Question About Low Blood Sugar

La Condessa

On Friday I had a monster of a headache and some other weird symptoms which I believe were due to low blood sugar (based on dr. Google). I'm not on any medications and I don't drink alcohol, which I read were the most common causes. Does this just happen sometimes, or is it an indication of a greater problem?

I do have hypoglycemia and I get those awful headaches if I've eaten too many carbs/too much sugar.  I experience other symptoms if I've gone too long without food.  Those headaches and other symptoms, such as dizziness and heart palpitations and a few others, led to my diagnosis.  I never had those headaches until I was in full blown hypoglycemia.  I'm sure you could experience them with any low blood sugar episode though.  If they continue, I would encourage you to see an endocrinologist. 

I had eaten waffles for breakfast, and it started around lunch time. I didn't eat lunch because I was nauseous from the headache.

Sounds like reactive hypoglycemia. If I eat something that high-carb, especially if it's not accompanied by plenty of fat and protein, then my blood sugar will go really high for awhile, and then crash. If you make sure you get good quality protein and fat with every meal, that alone might be enough to keep it from happening again. I have to do that AND strictly limit my carbs. But you might be able to eat waffles, as long as you eat some eggs and sausage with them, for example. I eat the eggs and sausage and skip the waffles. :)

• Like 4

Hypoglycemic over here. So is my son. What you described sounds like the beginning symptoms. If I let mine go, it can go into full blown sugar shock. That is very much not fun. Keeping an apple in my car or my purse really helps. It is very quick sugar which my body needs. It will not last forever, but it will keep me until I can get home.

My endocrinologist told me to be sure I get enough potassium. Deficient potassium is a really quick way to get into blood sugar troubles. I try to drink a smoothie with at least half a banana each morning in the summer, and to have half an avocado in either a salad at lunch or in my dinner. It really helps, as I find my body much more susceptible during the heat. Once you begin to get dehydrated, it is a slippery slope into depleting everything else.

Sounds like reactive hypoglycemia. If I eat something that high-carb, especially if it's not accompanied by plenty of fat and protein, then my blood sugar will go really high for awhile, and then crash. If you make sure you get good quality protein and fat with every meal, that alone might be enough to keep it from happening again. I have to do that AND strictly limit my carbs. But you might be able to eat waffles, as long as you eat some eggs and sausage with them, for example. I eat the eggs and sausage and skip the waffles. :)

:iagree:

I'm gonna' also suggest reactive hypoglycemia.  You might want to read up on it.  

For me, it rarely is an issue when I'm not pregnant.  But I have to be really careful with my food when I'm pregnant and often I still can't get past the beginning symptoms of a sugar crash around 10/11 am.

FWIW, if it were just a one-time thing, I wouldn't worry too much.  If it happens with increasing frequency, speak with your doctor.

Eat more protein. I was dx with hypoglycemia at 5- i cannot eat plain carbs and expect to feel good later. I do occasionally get migraines but haven't figured out the exact cause but they seem to be different. I don't get them enough to find a pattern. I have to stay super consistent with food and drink and my entire schedule.