Menu

Need headache relief suggestions

Scarlett

Are you sure they are not migraines?

Do you have access to a good acupuncturist?  My husband has migraines and has used acupuncture for them a couple of times.  It is not always the most convenient remedy, but when nothing else works, an hour with Dr. Shu is well worth the time.

If I can get it at the beginning, taking a Midol sometimes works, since it combines the pain relief of Acetominofen with as much caffeine (vasodilator) as in coffee. I see a neurologist for migraines and he advised this along with a bit of dark chocolate.

Mind you, it only seems to really be effective if I catch it before it truly settles in:(

Botox injections have been a pretty good help with some prevention of tension headaches...

As PP have said, I need to catch it early.  One thing I've found is that the recommendation dosage on over-the-counter medication isn't enough for me.  Sometimes, mild exercise (walking) helps, sometimes laying down in a dark room, and sometimes a cold compress.

Caffeine and Robaxacet Platinum.

Ice gel, kept in the fridge, and massaged into the neck.

Magnesium at night.

Proper pillow.

Adequate sleep. Sleep deprivation still triggers mine.

Yoga stretch for the neck. I'll post a link separately since I can't link well on mobile.

Also, since it's stress, I'd try to add meditation, and supplement with l- theanine. Also maybe 5htp.

Massage if you can afford it.

I had a whiplash injury in a car accident long ago and suffered with these types of headaches for years until I started doing pretty much everything on the list. Rarely get them now.

Yesterday I took so much Extra strength Excedrin that I was sick at my stomach.  It didn't touch it.  I took a muscle relaxer  last night and still woke up with a headache.  I used some peppermint oil this morning....I have relief now....not sure if it actually worked or if the headache just ran its course.

I read about the Botox therapy...but that is apparently only if you have about half the month with a headache.  I started tracking these headaches and the last bad one I had was the end of December.  before that the end of November.  Both of those times I had stressful stuff going on....nothing BAD just stressful.  I am starting to feel a little nuts.

I live in a very small town.  No acupuncturist nearby....a massage will help but not always possible to do when they come on so suddenly.  

Caffeine and Robaxacet Platinum.

Ice gel, kept in the fridge, and massaged into the neck.

Magnesium at night.

Proper pillow.

Adequate sleep. Sleep deprivation still triggers mine.

Yoga stretch for the neck. I'll post a link separately since I can't link well on mobile.

Also, since it's stress, I'd try to add meditation, and supplement with l- theanine. Also maybe 5htp.

Massage if you can afford it.

I had a whiplash injury in a car accident long ago and suffered with these types of headaches for years until I started doing pretty much everything on the list. Rarely get them now.

Thank you!

• Like 1

DH and others I know who get bad headaches swear by the Shakti mat. It's basically a modern plastic bed of nails. It hurts a little when you first lie down on it. You can control it by the surface (floor is more painful than on the bed) and weather you wear a shirt and what thickness. DH has gotten to lying on it without a shirt on the bed but the floor is still to hard for him. You can make other modifications like rolling a small towel and placing it under the mat in the neck area if you want more pressure there.

It releases endorphins and puts you in a state of relaxation. I always fall into a deep sleep on it.

If caught early, sometimes tiger balm will do the trick. Other times a steroid nasal spray works; I often think mine are caused by something else but they are typically sinus related.

I was just going to suggest Tiger Balm. I rub it on my forehead and put some under my nose- yes, it burns there! But prefer burning sensation to headache pain, lol.

Also, peppermint oil works. And half a teaspoon of celtic salt in half a glass of water.

The only thing that has ever worked for me is 600 (maybe 800 if it's really bad) milligrams of ibuprofen. If I don't take that much, the headache will fade out a bit but will always come back, never really going away entirely. 600 mg puts the whammo on it right off the bat, and after that it will stay away. Not the most natural solution, but it's all I've been able to come up with. 

Oh, and yes, my pillow is absolutely key. A regular pillow is a guaranteed headache for me. I got one of these in my early 20s and it changed my life:

http://www.tempurpedic.com/contoured-pillows/tempur-pedic-tempur-neck-pillow.asp