Menu

Can I get "Natural" cookbook recommendations?

Mom28kds

I'm trying to change up my families eating habits. I want to go with more natural/health health foods (no additives, preservatives, no cows milk). I had some cookbooks from years ago that I got rid of when I went through my house and purged about a year ago  :banghead: . Now I'm needing to go this route again and need help with ways to feed my family. Any ideas on good cookbooks that will help me out? I don't want to just buy some without knowing they will be what I need.

Myra Goodman of Earthbound Farms has two (last I checked--need to see if there is a third by now) that are fabulous. Nearly everything I have made from them has gone into heavy rotation. They are not too far out there, so you won't be marinating lavender leaves in Himalayan thorn berry seed extract (and I have of those, i.e., a cookbook that uses natural or exotic ingredients just to make a point, not because they are any good).

• Like 2

Myra Goodman of Earthbound Farms has two (last I checked--need to see if there is a third by now) that are fabulous. Nearly everything I have made from them has gone into heavy rotation. They are not too far out there, so you won't be marinating lavender leaves in Himalayan thorn berry seed extract (and I have of those, i.e., a cookbook that uses natural or exotic ingredients just to make a point, not because they are any good).

Haha, yes, that's what I need. I'm terrible in the kitchen. Only the basics please :) Do you have one in particular that you liked?

I was looking at this but was afraid to buy before I knew that it would be what I wanted. Thanks :)

I'm a low-carb person myself, but I generally recommend Nourishing Traditions to others because it tells you how to cook healthy foods from EVERY category (even grains, which I don't eat). So I think that makes it a good book for practically everyone to have on hand. I learned how to make (and the importance of eating) homemade broths and fermented veggies from that book, and I think it's worth the price for those sections alone. It covers all the basics and then some. There's some fun sections on making your own condiments and beverages, too. It's definitely worth having on your shelf.

• Like 4

Well, there is always good old Moosewood. They do have dairy, but it is easy to switch out or skip.  And I love Molly Katzen's classic "Enchanted Broccoli Forest"

I am a big fan of cookbooks by Lorna Sass. I am not a vegan, but two of her cookbooks are so good that I didn't even notice they are vegan..and I am not sure about the third..it could be. I love her "Short Cut Vegetarian".  She says people kept asking for 'instant vegetarian food' so she rose to the challenge. It uses a lot of canned food (canned tomatoes, canned beans etc) but, that cookbook can be a lifesaver on a busy night. When she says on the table in 15 mins she means it! I also think her "Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure" is one of the best pressure cooker cookbooks ever, vegetarian or not.

And there is always Bittman's "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian".  And if you are not vegetarian, then his cookbook "How to Cook Everything" is a great place to start. Bittman is a big proponent of healthy eating, and very much in that movement. There will be some recipes that have dairy, it does say cook everything, but again, you can work around.  And it is a BIG cookbook, a great value for your money. Even if you avoid the dairy recipes, there will be plenty more.

• Like 4

Haha, yes, that's what I need. I'm terrible in the kitchen. Only the basics please :) Do you have one in particular that you liked?

I do not have a favorite between the two. I love them both. The first is probably more basic, but they are very similar in tone.

I have one of Mark Bittman's books and am not a fan. Too plain, maybe?

I'm probably the only one who didn't like Nourishing Traditions...my family thought the recipes were gross and refused to eat them. I try not to eat too much gluten and dairy since I feel like I have a hangover if I eat it.    I personally use the internet for a lot of my recipes, also love More with Less cookbook and anything by Molly Katzen. I take my normal family favorites and sub out ingredients to be more healthy. Anything made from scratch is going to be more healthy than a can or bottle or box from the store.  I surprise myself at how easy it is when I end up making something like chocolate syrup, enchilada sauce or cream soup from scratch.  That being said,  homeschooling and sickness has kicked my butt this winter and I have been buying more prepared food than ever.  

• Like 2

I wouldn't recommend "Nourishing Traditions." It definitely wouldn't qualify as basic and there's an entire philosophy underpinning how a number of thngs are cooked that most people aren't going to agree with. I'll eat my roasted nuts and unsoaked grains. I'll also pass on liver, brains, and sweetbreads. I would also suspect that most people aren't looking for recipes for bone broth based infant formula or rejuvelac to name a few.

Bittman, Katzen, and Sass would be on my list as would Cynthia Lair. In fact, much of Cynthia Lair's stuff can be found on her website (with videos!) - http://www.cookusinterruptus.com.

• Like 4

I was looking at this but was afraid to buy before I knew that it would be what I wanted. Thanks :)

Just FYI...

While I love Nourishing Traditions, you mentioned you were not in favor of cow's milk and the authors of this book like raw milk. But you can disregard this part and still benefit from much detailed information about preparation techniques for all variety of food. Generally they suggest you buy organically or biodynamically grown vegetables, soak grains, etc.They are also considering grass-fed meat healthy.

If you want to eat Paleo (no grains, legumes or dairy) then I would try - Against All Grain (either book), Pratical Paleo, Well Fed (either book)

If you want to eat Weston A Price (WAP) which includes raw dairy, and soaked grains, then Nourishing Traditions is a good book. However it doesn't have photos which makes me use it less. I am a visual person. Nourished Kitchen also has a book out that I bet is good. We used her meal plans for a while and liked them.

If you want to just do clean eating and not think about it I STRONGLY encourage you to go to Emeals.com and use their clean eating or other plan (we use their paleo plans) to plan it all for you. We still use cookbooks, but I found after going from standard American diet to WAP and now paleo, meal plans make the transition WAY easier.

Indian cookbooks should fit your requirements.

I make quite a few things out of this one, but http://www.amazon.com/The-Indian-Vegan-Kitchen-Homestyle/dp/0399535306I'm sure there are plenty of others that would suit. :)

Along these lines, I also cook a lot out of Quick and Easy Thai.  Several of the recipes call for a couple of ingredients I've never found, such as lime leaves, but I just leave them out with no apparent adverse effects.  One tip for Thai cooking is that a lot of the recipes call for fresh ginger, which I find it difficult to keep, but you can freeze fresh ginger.  (This was life-changing for me.  Maybe everyone else knew this already.)  I stick a big hunk in a Ziploc bag in my freezer and break or grate off what I need.  With ginger in the freezer, many of these recipes can be made from what you have in your pantry.

• Like 1