Menu

What to do next with advanced 4YO in Reading/Spelling/Writing?

mommysanders

Hello all,

I'm new to this (forums and homeschool), and my oldest is just 4YO (turned 4 in Feb). I am having a hard time determining what to do with him for reading, writing and spelling, since he's so young. I don't want to push him, but at the same time I want to encourage him to continue learning since he seems to enjoy it. I would love some advice!

We are more than half way through OPGTTR, and I'm finding he understands concepts before I even teach them. So this brings me to my first question.

1. Should I continue with OPGTTR or move on to something else? If so, what do I move on to? Just lots of easy readers?

I was also just reading in WTM about the next step in "Spelling, Grammar, Reading and Writing". The book mentions that it's good to get at least half-way through OPGTTR before beginning spelling. So...

2. Does that mean I could/should start spelling with my 4YO now? He loves to write, and is constantly asking "how do I spell ...?" Is that a sign that it's time to teach spelling, even at a young age?

As for writing, I really don't know if I should have him practice his penmanship or not. He writes all his letters and numbers. I tried to do Zaner-Bloser with him per WTM recommendation, but I think he is bored with it, because he already knows how to write. So we stopped doing it. However, his letters are not pretty. They aren't in a straight line and the size changes as he writes each letter. But that's fine for this age, right? That might be a silly question, but I really don't know what to expect with his writing skills, or what is "average".

3. We just started doing Awana bible memory verses, and he has fun copying the memory verse down. We do that once a week. Should I do something more and/or something formal to encourage his penmanship?

Thanks for listening and helping!

Sarah

I would continue through OPG compacting/teaching similar lessons at once and just do lots of actual reading. At 4yo he doesn't need anything else and the rest of elementary school is soooo much easier when kids are strong readers and have good vocabularies. Just read and read and read some more, mostly.

Since he likes spelling, I would coordinate little spelling activities based on the OPG lessons--have him spell 1 and 2 syllable words with short vowels--that type of thing. Ask him to spell orally or with pen words from the last 3-5 lessons in OPG. Continue to informally spell any word for him that he asks about.

For writing, I would just work to make sure his pencil grip was good and his letter formation was automatic. I really like the way that formation of letters and numerals are taught in WRTR--get it from the library or look up clock letters/Spalding/WRTR on the internet.

• Like 1

3. We just started doing Awana bible memory verses, and he has fun copying the memory verse down. We do that once a week. Should I do something more and/or something formal to encourage his penmanship?

Practice makes permanent, so yes, you will want to do something to teach and encourage correct letter formation and hand grip (if he holds his writing implement incorrectly, it can cause fatigue, which will cause him not to want to write). The Writing Road to Reading, which is the manual for the Spalding Method, gives specific, explicit instructions on how each letter should be formed.

• Like 1

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with spelling yet.

I have early readers.  I started spelling in Grade 2.  It might have been better done a bit earlier, but I think 4 might be a bit too early.  You could wait for kindergarten, probably.  Unless, of course, your child is *asking* you to learn spelling.

As to what you move on to, yes, easy readers, and of course read out loud chapter books where child is sitting in your lap or next to you so that he can see what you're reading.

• Like 1

I would switch to a spell-to-read such as wrtr. Then the spelling, reading, and handwriting are all reinforcing each other. I did the same with my oldest at an oldish 4, and it turned out very well. Also, if you have an advanced kid you might prefer a comprehensive multi-grade list that can be worked through as needed without arbitrary grade levels assigning certain words to certain years. It will also save you from buying the spelling that is appropriate in September, but by January is too easy.

• Like 1

1. We didn't do a reading program for my daughter, who picked up reading so naturally. We used Bob Books, then switched to library books. The Elephant and Piggie series by Mo Willems is great for young readers, the books are really enjoyable and they are written at a Kindy and 1st grade level.

2. When my daughter started asking how everything was spelled at age 3, I asked her if she wanted spelling lessons or for me to keep spelling things for her. She wanted the lessons so we did the first two levels of All About Spelling. Then she got bored, so we've dropped it for the time being.

3. Handwriting. How I hate handwriting. It is the one area that my advanced kid is not at all advanced in. The problem is that it holds her back in other things she wants to do. While I wouldn't necessarily require handwriting from a 4yo, if he is open to the practice, do it! You could use a handwriting worksheet generator to have him trace the Awana verse rather than having him free write it.

• Like 1

I would continue through OPG compacting/teaching similar lessons at once and just do lots of actual reading. At 4yo he doesn't need anything else and the rest of elementary school is soooo much easier when kids are strong readers and have good vocabularies. Just read and read and read some more, mostly.

Since he likes spelling, I would coordinate little spelling activities based on the OPG lessons--have him spell 1 and 2 syllable words with short vowels--that type of thing. Ask him to spell orally or with pen words from the last 3-5 lessons in OPG. Continue to informally spell any word for him that he asks about.

For writing, I would just work to make sure his pencil grip was good and his letter formation was automatic. I really like the way that formation of letters and numerals are taught in WRTR--get it from the library or look up clock letters/Spalding/WRTR on the internet.

Thanks mom2bee. He has never had a problem with pencil grip ever since I showed him how to hold it. I think it's habit now. I was teaching him to write letters based the method used by Zaner-Bloser. I don't have experience with anything else. Do you know if it's the same as WRTR?

1. We didn't do a reading program for my daughter, who picked up reading so naturally. We used Bob Books, then switched to library books. The Elephant and Piggie series by Mo Willems is great for young readers, the books are really enjoyable and they are written at a Kindy and 1st grade level.

2. When my daughter started asking how everything was spelled at age 3, I asked her if she wanted spelling lessons or for me to keep spelling things for her. She wanted the lessons so we did the first two levels of All About Spelling. Then she got bored, so we've dropped it for the time being.

3. Handwriting. How I hate handwriting. It is the one area that my advanced kid is not at all advanced in. The problem is that it holds her back in other things she wants to do. While I wouldn't necessarily require handwriting from a 4yo, if he is open to the practice, do it! You could use a handwriting worksheet generator to have him trace the Awana verse rather than having him free write it.

Jackie, Where do I find the handwriting worksheet generator you're talking about?

My DD4 is also a February baby - she reads to me daily using some easy readers, some sight word readers and is also doing OPGTR - we don't necessarily do them all on one day but go with her interests.

Like your child, mine also likes to write and spell, but is still learning letter formation so I help her spell words that use the letters she is confident with while still teaching the letter formation of the other letters. Spelling for her started with what sound can you hear at the beginning and then at the end. It is the short vowel sounds that she is still working on (we started with two letter words for this reason) - once she is more confident with cvc spellings we will move to ch/sh/th spellings and so on. However I just do this when she requests it or when she wants to do writing. If she chooses her own words to write that cover more difficult spelling patterns then I will just spell them for her since I would rather she just has fun and does what makes her happy right now.

As for writing - my DD4 has good fine motor tone (much better than her sister had at the same age), but it is still easier for her yo write on blank paper without lines than to work on lines for now. My elder followed the same pattern - from blank paper to a single line and finally between lines. At this age it is more important for the letter formation to be right than for the child to be working on lines and knowing which letters go up and which go down - much of this I found my eldest picked up from extensive reading and seeing text as she got older. 

• Like 1

Jackie, Where do I find the handwriting worksheet generator you're talking about?

There are several online. One good, basic one is at http://www.handwritingworksheets.com. If that doesn't work for you, then just google "handwriting worksheet generator" and you'll get load of options. Or, if you really want to be able to customize, you can buy StartWrite software.

• Like 1

Thanks mom2bee. He has never had a problem with pencil grip ever since I showed him how to hold it. I think it's habit now. I was teaching him to write letters based the method used by Zaner-Bloser. I don't have experience with anything else. Do you know if it's the same as WRTR?

If he has proper pencil grip and he's learning to form letters easily and fluently then no, there is probably no reason to get anything else. I have never looked closely at Zaner-Blosers method, but I know that I have seen it in workbooks and if that is working for you and your happy with your kids pace and progress, then go with it and stay with it.

Really, just keep things simple and consistent at this age. Everything else will fall into place.

I recommended the WRTR because it speaks specifically about pencil grip and gives explicit directions for letter formation that isn't dependent upon tracing or workbooks or anything like that. If you use WRTRs manual/Spaldings method, the students should be able to write on any type of paper because students learn to visualize the clock-face for spacing and form, while using certain stroke order to form the letters and then they just...write. But you have something and it is working. No need to switch.

• Like 1

My 4yo (November kid) liked tracing in books like Kumon and similar from the dollar store. We haven't done them recently (he's been having some medical issues the past couple of months), but I'd say that until the letters are looking good, frequent tracing is probably a good idea.

1. We have a soon-to-be 5yo early reader, too. He did all HOP and a bit of OPGTR but we quickly dropped the latter because he found it too dry and didn't really need more phonics lessons at that point. Instead, he read aloud 2~3 easy readers a day and ended up reading the whole section of leveled readers in the branch of our city library. He's now readying early chapter books and easy nonfiction books on his own.

2. If he has a good phonics base, I think All About Spelling 1 is gentle and good for that age.

3. My son liked handwriting lessons most and has a pretty good penmanship for his age. We started with Kumon books (tracing, mazes, letters, numbers...) and did Handwriting Without Tears from pre-K to 2nd grade workbooks. He needed more challenge and liked the copywork in Evan-Moor Daily Handwriting Practice. 

• Like 1

Your son sounds like an eager learner.  :)  You lucked out!

I would try the easy readers and see where that goes.  If he has trouble understanding a phonics concept, go over the lesson in the Phonics book.  

Start simple handwriting pages and give him a bunch of legos to help his fine motor skills.  Read really good literature to him everyday.  

I'm on my 4th 4yo and at this age, my philosophy is that it should be child led.  If he wants to do it, let him.  Now, if I had an older child who could care less about learning anything, I would start more formal lessons.  This doesn't seem to be your case, so enjoy your son's enthusiasm and work with it.  

• Like 1