Menu

Help from AoPS gurus...panic has set in

Dd is finishing Intro to A book and will be moving on to Geometry soon.  Ideally, I'd love for her to take the AoPS online class but I think it will move too fast for her.  Without the benefit of the online videos, I am nervous that without help, I won't be able to discuss/grade her proofs appropriately.  

So, I called around to try to find a tutor to help us.  I met with two former high school Geometry teachers who have both given me some combination of "this is overkill, she'll never need this, why would you make this so hard."  Alarmingly, one told me that proofs are now done in a fill in the blank format and that two column, and definitely paragraph, formats are completely outdated and unnecessary for the EOC, SAT and college.  Is their assessment accurate or did I just get a bad lot?  

So, now I've started to panic.  What if I can't find a tutor that will work with this text?  What if she gets into this book and can't do it on her own?  And what if it's then too late to register for one of the non-AoPS online classes?  She loves AoPS but this last meeting with this teacher has left me feeling panicked and wanting to pull the Mommy card and just enroll her in one of the regular paced online classes and move on.  That's not what she wants but I know I can't see her through the higher levels.  Algebra II was always my limit.  Hive, please help.

Just an idea, but can she work through it on her own for a semester using the AOPS forum for questions, if needed.  Maybe she can then enroll in the online class for what she just self-studied. I've found that AOPS solution manuals to be very helpful when I don't have a clue what I'm doing.

• Like 3

Embassy's idea may work.

They are correct that proofs are not necessary for the PSAT and SAT but the critical thinking skills those proofs will teach are absolutely very useful, especially if your dd is majoring anywhere in STEM, as proofs are something STEM students tend to struggle with (partly due to geometry teachers like these, GRRRRRR).

I'd agree with them if your dd were a struggling student but clearly she's not. GRRR!

• Like 7

Just an idea, but can she work through it on her own for a semester using the AOPS forum for questions, if needed. Maybe she can then enroll in the online class for what she just self-studied. I've found that AOPS solution manuals to be very helpful when I don't have a clue what I'm doing.

That's what I thought I was going to do for Algebra but we never needed the class...lol. I was feeling really confident about Geometry until today. I ordered Jurgensen this morning (thanks Wapiti) to have on hand and thought that with that and a tutor, we'd be just fine. Now, I'm second guessing. I've also read the reviews of this particular AoPS class....it's HARD. But then again, she cruised through Algebra with little if any handholding. But she did use the videos.

Embassy's idea may work.

They are correct that proofs are not necessary for the PSAT and SAT but the critical thinking skills those proofs will teach are absolutely very useful, especially if your dd is majoring anywhere in STEM, as proofs are something STEM students tend to struggle with (partly due to geometry teachers like these, GRRRRRR).

I'd agree with them if your dd were a struggling student but clearly she's not. GRRR!

Well, that's the rub. This kid does not want a STEM track. She fancies herself a writer. She just loves math and AoPS in particular. That's why I'm so panicked by what these teachers said. She doesn't NEED AoPS rigor, she just wants it. That's why I'm now wondering, is it time to just cut bait and go to a traditional program with the guaranteed support we may need?

I would work through a good portion of the book before the start of the course for the purposes of workload management.  That should make it much more doable.  And just expect the proofs to be very difficult.  But, if your dd is enjoying AoPS, she will love this class.

• Like 3

This kid does not want a STEM track. She fancies herself a writer. She just loves math and AoPS in particular.

Technical writer or math curriculum writer?

Intro to geometry was tiring to grade as I have two kids to grade at the same time. It is doable though.

Online class choices for Jurgensen Geometry are more if you go with that book.

As a random idea, why not have her do the C/P and NT courses before geometry? That would give her a 9th grade credit for discrete math (which is what I'd call those together) and a 10th grade credit for geometry, and those courses are also less challenging than geometry (according to AOPS).

If she wanted to move through so that she could get the math required for physics or something it would be different, but if she's not interested in a STEM major and just loves AOPS, this side track seems totally reasonable. Both are offered this summer as well if she wanted to try it out.

• Like 3

Please excuse my semi-related question.

My ds12 will finish the Algebra 1 portion of AoPS Intro to A this year and will be set to start Geometry next year.  I will be absolutely NO help.  He has worked independently this year and done just fine with the videos and textbook.  I have tossed around the idea of him continuing with Intro to A and finishing the book before beginning the AoPS Geometry.  OR of doing the Geometry concurrently with Ch 14 and on of Intro to A, alternating chapters, taking two years (or however long it takes).  You people are my mathy AoPS experts.  What would you recommend?  Keep in mind I will be NO HELP at all to this child past this point.  I do think the online courses will move too quickly.  He is an independent type and prefers to work at his own pace.  I am not against him working through a text and then taking an online course.

Texasmama,

Does your child like geometry or algebra more. I have to bribe my younger to do algebra by letting him do geometry concurrently. I have to bribe my older to do geometry by letting him do the intermediate algebra book concurrently. What he like is fractal geometry so he is finding the AoPS book dry but he finds the public school textbooks drier.

What I did for summer last year was let them choose which book to do everyday. They will pick either algebra or geometry and get some math done daily.

• Like 2

Does she NEED AoPS rigor? No. But it will teach wonderful thinking skills that will be beneficial no matter what direction she heads.

I am currently tutoring AoPS virtually through Hangout - not taking anyone new, but you might be able to find a similar arrangement. A lot of us would be happy to help on individual problems that you post.

• Like 1

My ds12 will finish the Algebra 1 portion of AoPS Intro to A this year and will be set to start Geometry next year.  I will be absolutely NO help.  He has worked independently this year and done just fine with the videos and textbook.  I have tossed around the idea of him continuing with Intro to A and finishing the book before beginning the AoPS Geometry.  OR of doing the Geometry concurrently with Ch 14 and on of Intro to A, alternating chapters, taking two years (or however long it takes).  You people are my mathy AoPS experts.  What would you recommend?  Keep in mind I will be NO HELP at all to this child past this point.  I do think the online courses will move too quickly.  He is an independent type and prefers to work at his own pace.  I am not against him working through a text and then taking an online course.

Texasmama,

My kids have alternated books for years. It's our style. If I were you with a self-motivated independent student, I'd hand them each book and let them decide which book to work out of. I don't think there is a best way to do it. Just say keep doing math and see what happens.

• Like 2

Thank you for letting me slightly derail.

I think that my boy likely prefers Algebra to Geometry.  I do think it makes sense to hand him both books and allow him to work as he likes in both.  Thank you for confirming that this is a fine plan for him.  He was a bit dismayed that no Geometry videos exist to support AoPS.  I wonder why?

Doesn't the WTM Academy have a class that uses AOP? Maybe it's only algebra, but do check. 

Standard proofs are indeed not included on standardized testing such as SAT/ACT. They're not exactly 'bubble test' friendly. The thought that this is the only reason a math teacher thinks they are worth doing appalls me. I most definitely would not want that person to be my tutor. 

My dd, who cried many a tear over geometry proofs, took a look at the fill-in-the-blank ones and immediately said, but you don't even have to really understand in order to do those, why bother? 

• Like 6

I would work through a good portion of the book before the start of the course for the purposes of workload management. That should make it much more doable.

And just expect the proofs to be very difficult. I'd guess that, on average, my dd has only gotten half the proofs, in part because they are so hard (for her) and in part because she doesn't always prioritize this class over her B&M classes, so she leaves the proof till the last minute, which clearly does. not. work. :tongue_smilie: (there is a firm deadline for the proof alone such that if you miss it, you can no longer submit.) I wish the proofs were slightly less hard, or that at least some of them were slightly less hard, or that perhaps some more straightforward ones were included in the weekly homework. But, if your dd is enjoying AoPS, she will love this class.

Ack! That's the problem. I won't be able to help her. But maybe she won't need my help. She likes hard. That's why we chose AoPS in the first place.

Technical writer or math curriculum writer?

Intro to geometry was tiring to grade as I have two kids to grade at the same time. It is doable though.

Online class choices for Jurgensen Geometry are more if you go with that book.

Nah, fiction writer. She's self published a novel already so I think it might stick. Oh, I know I can't grade it. I've pre read the book and I honestly wouldn't even know what to look for if her answers don't directly match the solutions manual. I was hoping to have a tutor do that part, but now I just don't know.

As a random idea, why not have her do the C/P and NT courses before geometry? That would give her a 9th grade credit for discrete math (which is what I'd call those together) and a 10th grade credit for geometry, and those courses are also less challenging than geometry (according to AOPS).

If she wanted to move through so that she could get the math required for physics or something it would be different, but if she's not interested in a STEM major and just loves AOPS, this side track seems totally reasonable. Both are offered this summer as well if she wanted to try it out.

Huh, I hadn't thought of that option. She's doing the traditional bio (9), chem (10) and physics (11) sequence but I think her physics would be run of the mill, algebra-based. This might work. She likes NT. I'll ask her.

• Like 1

My ds12 will finish the Algebra 1 portion of AoPS Intro to A this year and will be set to start Geometry next year. I will be absolutely NO help. He has worked independently this year and done just fine with the videos and textbook. I have tossed around the idea of him continuing with Intro to A and finishing the book before beginning the AoPS Geometry. OR of doing the Geometry concurrently with Ch 14 and on of Intro to A, alternating chapters, taking two years (or however long it takes). You people are my mathy AoPS experts. What would you recommend? Keep in mind I will be NO HELP at all to this child past this point. I do think the online courses will move too quickly. He is an independent type and prefers to work at his own pace. I am not against him working through a text and then taking an online course.

It seems like so many of us are in the same boat. I envy those that are not completely petrified of teaching higher math.

Does she NEED AoPS rigor? No. But it will teach wonderful thinking skills that will be beneficial no matter what direction she heads.

I am currently tutoring AoPS virtually through Hangout - not taking anyone new, but you might be able to find a similar arrangement. A lot of us would be happy to help on individual problems that you post.

I agree. I still can't believe that a math teacher would dissuade a child from reaching higher.

I would love a Hangout type situation. How would I find that? I have googled, called AoPS, asked on my local homeschool yahoo group for any online tutors. I haven't found anything yet. I appreciate the offer to help but I'm anticipating more than the occasional problem.

I remember Regentrude posting about how her daughter worked through a proof for hours and she was able to help her work through the logic even though her dd's solution was different than the solution manual. That would NOT be possible here. I guess I could just have her work to the solution manual and call it good, but I feel like we'd be missing out on a lot of the benefits of proof work if we do it that way.

Thank you for letting me slightly derail.

I think that my boy likely prefers Algebra to Geometry. I do think it makes sense to hand him both books and allow him to work as he likes in both. Thank you for confirming that this is a fine plan for him. He was a bit dismayed that no Geometry videos exist to support AoPS. I wonder why?

I thought the same thing. Why no videos for the "hardest" text? And why classes at the speed of light? And why no virtual tutoring service? And when will the WTM Academy add geometry? And why is a mom who can't teach math having her daughter use the hardest math program on earth? So many questions.....

• Like 4

Doesn't the WTM Academy have a class that uses AOP? Maybe it's only algebra, but do check.

Standard proofs are indeed not included on standardized testing such as SAT/ACT. They're not exactly 'bubble test' friendly. The thought that this is the only reason a math teacher thinks they are worth doing appalls me. I most definitely would not want that person to be my tutor.

My dd, who cried many a tear over geometry proofs, took a look at the fill-in-the-blank ones and immediately said, but you don't even have to really understand in order to do those, why bother?

WTM Academy has algebra, no geometry ....yetðŸ˜. We're considering the idea of doing an NT/CP detour next. Maybe by then, they'll have added geometry. Regarding the teacher, I agree. Yesterday's meeting really upset me. I've never felt so insecure and knocked off my game as I did yesterday. I was just absolutely stunned that I was even having that conversation with a teacher.....with a teacher!

Oh, I know I can't grade it. I've pre read the book and I honestly wouldn't even know what to look for if her answers don't directly match the solutions manual. I was hoping to have a tutor do that part, but now I just don't know.

It seems like so many of us are in the same boat. I envy those that are not completely petrified of teaching higher math.

I remember Regentrude posting about how her daughter worked through a proof for hours and she was able to help her work through the logic even though her dd's solution was different than the solution manual. That would NOT be possible here. I guess I could just have her work to the solution manual and call it good, but I feel like we'd be missing out on a lot of the benefits of proof work if we do it that way.

All of the above.  I am even less help with Geometry than I am with Algebra.  I have some Algebra skills.  I have not even looked at anything Geometry-related since 9th grade really.  And that was in 1981-82. :huh:   If my son was not so good at self-teaching and math-inclined and determined to continue on the AoPS path, I would outsource him to an online class using another curriculum.  My son's only real option is the bolded.  I am looking at this next step as an experiment of sorts.  If it does not work for him to self-teach the Geometry, we will look at other options.  He is 12 so we have some time to play with.

• Like 1

I thought the same thing. Why no videos for the "hardest" text? And why classes at the speed of light? And why no virtual tutoring service? And when will the WTM Academy add geometry? And why is a mom who can't teach math having her daughter use the hardest math program on earth? So many questions.....

We should probably form a club, you and I.  We'll call it the "What the Heck??? club" and conduct meetings in which we stand around with a deer in the headlights look.

I would put him in the online class if it did not rush through the book at such a pace.  Gladly, I would do this.  However, I also know he would be bored and unhappy at the typical pace of most online classes. 

I think that we should petition AoPS for virtual tutoring for Geometry.

• Like 2

WTM Academy has algebra, no geometry ....yetðŸ˜. We're considering the idea of doing an NT/CP detour next. Maybe by then, they'll have added geometry. Regarding the teacher, I agree. Yesterday's meeting really upset me. I've never felt so insecure and knocked off my game as I did yesterday. I was just absolutely stunned that I was even having that conversation with a teacher.....with a teacher!

You know, if it makes you feel any better, I did hire a tutor for my other son for Algebra for a time, and while she was very knowledgeable, it still was difficult for her to match her help to my son's text and to go at the speed at which he needed.  I think in order to tutor AoPS, it would be even more important to be familiar with the way the program works with it being so out of the box.

• Like 1

All of the above. I am even less help with Geometry than I am with Algebra. I have some Algebra skills. I have not even looked at anything Geometry-related since 9th grade really. And that was in 1981-82. :huh: If my son was not so good at self-teaching and math-inclined and determined to continue on the AoPS path, I would outsource him to an online class using another curriculum. My son's only real option is the bolded. I am looking at this next step as an experiment of sorts. If it does not work for him to self-teach the Geometry, we will look at other options. He is 12 so we have some time to play with.

I wish dd was a 12 yr old with time to figure it out. We start high school for the first time next year and I can't help but hear the sound of tick tock, tick tock.....hence my panic.

We should probably form a club, you and I. We'll call it the "What the Heck??? club" and conduct meetings in which we stand around with a deer in the headlights look.

I would put him in the online class if it did not rush through the book at such a pace. Gladly, I would do this. However, I also know he would be bored and unhappy at the typical pace of most online classes.

Ha!! Appropriate discussion topics for meetings could range from

😳😳😳 "What exactly is this? Let me go back in my memory to when Rick Springfield was on the radio and see if I can remember what the heck this is" to

😂😂😂😂 "You want me to grade what??" to

😡😡😡😡 "Isn't it enough that I've given up my life to homeschool you, do you also have to choose the hardest programs on the planet? Darn overachiever" to

I think I will write to AoPS. Maybe one of their TAs would be willing to take it on for some extra cash. It's worth a try because I agree with you, if you don't know these books it's hard to help.

• Like 2

I would love a Hangout type situation. How would I find that? I have googled, called AoPS, asked on my local homeschool yahoo group for any online tutors. I haven't found anything yet. I appreciate the offer to help but I'm anticipating more than the occasional problem.

If you're still looking, I'm interested. I have a B.S. in pure math and am in grad school. I also just took a final on Wednesday for a class designed for future high school geometry teachers (not actually my goal but it fit my schedule), so it's all very fresh in my mind. PM me if you like.

• Like 1

If you're still looking, I'm interested. I have a B.S. in pure math and am in grad school. I also just took a final on Wednesday for a class designed for future high school geometry teachers (not actually my goal but it fit my schedule), so it's all very fresh in my mind. PM me if you like.

I am and I will. Thank you!!!

Regarding the teacher, I agree. Yesterday's meeting really upset me.

Those teachers would be better off tutoring kids doing credit recovery in schools. I just looked at my state's geometry standardised test which is multiple choice questions so I get why teachers aren't bothered about proof writing.

Maybe you should start looking and interviewing tutors for algebra 2 for next year. Do you live near a college? Or any retirees that are good in proof based math and would tutor for a past time.

I actually look at the tutors that are tutoring at the library and see how they teach high school math one to one or one to two. If someone catch my fancy I ask for their contact for a just in case. (ETA: I look for tutors a few years ahead of potential need)

• Like 1

Those teachers would be better off tutoring kids doing credit recovery in schools. I just looked at my state's geometry standardised test which is multiple choice questions so I get why teachers aren't bothered about proof writing.

It scares me that these people taught kids for 9 years and 12 years respectively. That's hundreds of kids out in the world who were taught to do the bare minimum and strive for nothing more. And people challenge us as homeschoolers on whether we're "qualified" to teach our kids. I went to bed thinking that if that is how low the bar is, I think we're ok.

I'm talking to go go gadget about tutoring. She's familiar with AoPS and that's half the battle. I'll keep a look out at libraries too. That's a great idea. I have to say though, I'd rather find someone here who knows AoPS. I'm gun shy on talking to any old math teacher/tutor after yesterday.

Do you have a college or university nearby? Maybe their math department could help you fnd a tutor amongst their students. Maybe a local math circle where kids are working at a higher and deeper math level.

Fwiw my kids did geometry as self study without the class. The solution manual was enough for what they needed. The oldest tested into PreCalc at the CC the next semester. Both kids did well on the SAT even without having used a class for AOPS.

• Like 2

N  I've pre read the book and I honestly wouldn't even know what to look for if her answers don't directly match the solutions manual. I was hoping to have a tutor do that part, but now I just don't know.

This is an issue with every geometry text. We didn't use AoP for geometry, but dd often had proofs that differed from the book. She was able to to compare the text answer to her response and make what sounded like reasonable comments as to why the answers were both acceptable or not  :lol:

I would think a solid math tutor could GRADE AoP proofs (not guide her through the book, but grade the proofs). However, I honestly wouldn't worry about it if your dd feels confident in grading/reviewing them herself - kids who want to cheat their way through math aren't likely to pick AoP to begin with! 

I do think that a tutor, or at least an online math group, would be a big help for discussion and encouragement. My dd did part of AoP intro to algebra but didn't complete it even though she was doing well. I think a class would have helped immensely, but she is another one who could handle the book but not at breakneck speed (they're out there, AoP, are you listening??). 

It still did her and her brain a world of good, and was well worth the while. 

• Like 2

I was really afraid of the online course schedule too. I had DS1 work through the Alg 1 material on his own. I thought I could help him. Nope. I can do the work, but I can't answer his questions or explain the *why* very well. He then took the class for Alg 1. It turns out working through everything before the class was overkill. While the pace of the class is fast, it's not unmanageable. Now he's doing Alg 2. I had him read through the text before the class starts, but not do the work before the class started, like we had done for Alg 1.

All of the above.  I am even less help with Geometry than I am with Algebra.  I have some Algebra skills.  I have not even looked at anything Geometry-related since 9th grade really.  And that was in 1981-82. :huh:   If my son was not so good at self-teaching and math-inclined and determined to continue on the AoPS path, I would outsource him to an online class using another curriculum.  My son's only real option is the bolded.  I am looking at this next step as an experiment of sorts.  If it does not work for him to self-teach the Geometry, we will look at other options.  He is 12 so we have some time to play with.

This is exactly where I'm coming from with Geometry, too.  Looking into outsourcing it, because I'm not confident I'll be able to help if she runs into trouble self-teaching.  Although the EdX Geometry class is helping a bit . . . 

• Like 1

I am feeling heartened by this thread, and I thank you all for that.  I rarely feel heartened with upper level math.  I mostly bumble through with anxiety until I can outsource.  Math is my hot potato.  Always looking for someone to pass it off to quickly!  (Yet even so, I didn't pass anything off until mid-way through Algebra for one kid.  I will sit for a moment and feel so proud of my accomplishments.  :D )

• Like 1

We should probably form a club, you and I.  We'll call it the "What the Heck??? club" and conduct meetings in which we stand around with a deer in the headlights look.

I would put him in the online class if it did not rush through the book at such a pace.  Gladly, I would do this.  However, I also know he would be bored and unhappy at the typical pace of most online classes. 

Ha!! Appropriate discussion topics for meetings could range from

😳😳😳 "What exactly is this? Let me go back in my memory to when Rick Springfield was on the radio and see if I can remember what the heck this is" to

😂😂😂😂 "You want me to grade what??" to

😡😡😡😡 "Isn't it enough that I've given up my life to homeschool you, do you also have to choose the hardest programs on the planet? Darn overachiever" to

I think I will write to AoPS. Maybe one of their TAs would be willing to take it on for some extra cash. It's worth a try because I agree with you, if you don't know these books it's hard to help.

:seeya: Hi! May I join your club? I vaguely recall taking Geometry in 1982-1983 and have a 12 year old who is lapping me intellectually. She loves AoPS (why, oh why, did I show her that???) and we worked through Chapter 7 before I bit the bullet and signed her up for the class.  We'll see how it goes. The thought of Geometry, though, just gives me the willies. (And don't even ask about EMF, her "fun math." I have no clue. Seriously, not a stinking clue what that kid is doing. :scared: )

• Like 2

:seeya: Hi! May I join your club? I vaguely recall taking Geometry in 1982-1983 and have a 12 year old who is lapping me intellectually. She loves AoPS (why, oh why, did I show her that???) and we worked through Chapter 7 before I bit the bullet and signed her up for the class.  We'll see how it goes. The thought of Geometry, though, just gives me the willies. (And don't even ask about EMF, her "fun math." I have no clue. Seriously, not a stinking clue what that kid is doing. :scared: )

Yes, please join us.  We will have tshirts for our club and everything.  :D

I vaguely recall taking Geometry in 1982-1983

I took geometry the very same year.  FWIW, with AoPS, it gets much worse.  Not only do I not remember much, but dd does not believe me when I tell her that there is a great deal in AoPS that I'm quite sure I never saw in my regular ol' Regents geometry class.  How can that be, she says...

• Like 2

I took geometry the very same year.  FWIW, with AoPS, it gets much worse.  Not only do I not remember much, but dd does not believe me when I tell her that there is a great deal in AoPS that I'm quite sure I never saw in my regular ol' Regents geometry class.  How can that be, she says...

NOOOOOOOO!

I think it's past time that I starting seriously shopping for a math tutor.

NOOOOOOOO!

I think it's past time that I starting seriously shopping for a math tutor.

It'll be ok.  If you didn't really catch those topics like "incenter" and "orthocenter" the first time they came up in the book,  they'll turn up in some later class problems (insert evil laugh, but honestly, I've learned a lot!  I would have loved to learn geometry with aops).

• Like 1

Ok, while we're confessing?  I cannot get the Triangle Inequality.  I've seen it in Alcumus, in Beast Academy for 3rd graders(!), in CTC's geometry, and now in EdX.  And I just. can't. seem. to get it through my thick skull.  Really, I'm a reasonably intelligent person in other areas, but I can't get my brain to keep ahold of this concept.

Ok, while we're confessing?  I cannot get the Triangle Inequality.  I've seen it in Alcumus, in Beast Academy for 3rd graders(!), in CTC's geometry, and now in EdX.  And I just. can't. seem. to get it through my thick skull.  Really, I'm a reasonably intelligent person in other areas, but I can't get my brain to keep ahold of this concept.

Oooooo, true confessions.  Sounds like a spin off thread.  :ohmy:

• Like 1

Trust me, I completely understand.

Three of my kids are beyond me in math abilities already.  Give the fourth one time.  She is nine.  ;)  I was really proud of myself when I could do the hard problems in SM primary.  (bag over head)  Seriously, I would shout out with glee, and my sons would make fun of me.  <sigh>

Now I can do literary analysis on the fly like nobody's business, and I am a pretty good therapist.  Those skills do not translate to math help, though.  I was able to muddle through and get my college degrees using rote memorization for the mathy classes.

• Like 1

I do feel your pain.  However, we can fix that.  Let's sign you up for the online class - I didn't look at the book problems on this topic, but the class problems have a sort of strong-arm way of making sure you understand  :lol:

• Like 1

I do feel your pain.  However, we can fix that.  Let's sign you up for the online class - I didn't look at the book problems on this topic, but the class problems have a sort of strong-arm way of making sure you understand  :lol:

Um, I think I need to survive the EdX Geometry course first!!!  :scared:

I'm actually really enjoying it.  There is something so . . . logically intuitive about geometry, and I love the puzzle-solving aspect. I'm enjoying re-learning the proofs and all the cool things you can derive from the theorems.  I just couldn't actually teach it at this point - talk about the blind leading the blind!  

• Like 1

I want to add a little thought here that I realized last night while dd was working on geometry, trying to catch up on turning bars green before the course ends.  (In addition to the colored Alcumus bars, there are bars for the challenge problems and for "overall" on a weekly basis.)

The high level of difficulty of the challenge problems puts the various geometry tools in a larger context.  Being able to put the tool in a much more complex context is absolutely the key for helping my dd to understand more deeply and to remember.  She is very much a visual-spatial thinker with sequential weaknesses.

As much as I have worried about the logistics and discipline of dd getting the work done with the weekly proof deadline and grading for school, etc., I realized last night that this course is the optimal vehicle for her to learn geometry, which is why we chose it in the first place.

As much as I have worried about the logistics and discipline of dd getting the work done with the weekly proof deadline and grading for school, etc., I realized last night that this course is the optimal vehicle for her to learn geometry, which is why we chose it in the first place.

Just signed both boys up for the one that starts in June. They want company even if it's online.

• Like 1