Menu

Does anyone use Singapore 6A/6B? Thoughts/experience?

It seems like even Singapore really only markets 1-5. Why not 6? We are finishing up 5B this spring and my plan was to move into 6A next. My kids are fourth graders and I was thinking another year of solid review would help to really cement what they have learned these last several years, and be a good foundation for higher math later. Has anyone done this? Or do folks just move into NEM 7? I see DM is gone. Just trying to get some thoughts from those who have been there, done that. We use standards if that matters, along with ip and CWP. I looked at NEM samples online, and it just didn't look as friendly. The material was do-able, but the format seemed tougher, if that makes any sense.

Thanks.

I didn't use Singapore, we used Math Mammoth which I guess is similar, given that your kids are younger, I'd go with 6A and 6B. We used MM1A-6B and I do NOT regret it. There is time to do the whole sequence... As for understanding the Middle School Math sequence from Singapore, you might glean something from this thread I started last year, #6 speaks directly to the format of NEM and shares some thoughts about using it with younger kids.

I'll see if I can't rustle up some threads on 6A and 6B.

ETA:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/382716-how-far-to-go-in-singapore-math/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/306277-algebra-i-ready-after-singapore-6a6b/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/276269-what-happens-to-singapore-users-after-6th-grade/

• Like 1

Wrapping up 6B now with "by public standards a 5th grader" - it's been ALL review, but I do not regret it. (It's also a deeper review than 5A/B, asking for higher thinking skills from the student, IMO).  We're going to finish this year by doing select chapters of a 7th grade "review math" book (BJU) - we'll introduce the concepts not covered by Singapore (square roots, scientific notation, more practice with negatives, etc.), and then move to Dolciani pre-algebra in the fall.

Incidentally, I tutor kids for the SAT and ACT as a part-time job, and I am thrilled to see SAT math questions in the 6A/B workbooks and CWP. :) They make me smile.

• Like 1

It seems like even Singapore really only markets 1-5. Why not 6? We are finishing up 5B this spring and my plan was to move into 6A next. My kids are fourth graders and I was thinking another year of solid review would help to really cement what they have learned these last several years, and be a good foundation for higher math later. Has anyone done this? Or do folks just move into NEM 7? I see DM is gone. Just trying to get some thoughts from those who have been there, done that. We use standards if that matters, along with ip and CWP. I looked at NEM samples online, and it just didn't look as friendly. The material was do-able, but the format seemed tougher, if that makes any sense.

Thanks.

You can go either way.  It's all individual.  I skipped it because we didn't need the review.

• Like 1

I didn't use Singapore, we used Math Mammoth which I guess is similar, given that your kids are younger, I'd go with 6A and 6B. We used MM1A-6B and I do NOT regret it. There is time to do the whole sequence... As for understanding the Middle School Math sequence from Singapore, you might glean something from this thread I started last year, #6 speaks directly to the format of NEM and shares some thoughts about using it with younger kids.

I'll see if I can't rustle up some threads on 6A and 6B.

ETA:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/382716-how-far-to-go-in-singapore-math/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/306277-algebra-i-ready-after-singapore-6a6b/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/276269-what-happens-to-singapore-users-after-6th-grade/

Thank you for the links!

I went ahead and ordered 6a/6b. Just making sure I wasn't off base and that there was really value in it from those who have been there. Thank you very much!

Next year, I think my question will be, what next? :). Based on the threads I read, it sounds like DM 7 is a good move. I guess I just usually don't hear many folks using Singapore for pre-algebra or algebra.

A lot of people move away from Singapore for prealgebra/algebra because they want a more traditional math sequence. Singapore is integrated.

I am trying to make this decision as well. I've heard US is review, but that Standards does have some new content and takes the rest to greater depth. My daughter has done well with 5, but I think a year of solidifying skills would be good for her. I can't think of a good reason to rush her to algebra.

Jenny at Singapore did not recommend going from 5B to NEM. She said 5B to DMCC7 was okay.

• Like 1

We went on to the old NEM for two years and switched to the old DM for the next two years because we couldn't get the old NEM (and were barely able to get the old DM).  My oldest has ended up doing an online high school, but my middle son is still using Singapore. The non-traditional sequence doesn't bother me since he'll finish the four years before he takes the SAT or ACT.

• Like 1

We did (are doing) 6 and I think it's worth it. I disagree that there's nothing new. There's actually been a decent amount of new material. Also, it's definitely deeper than previous years. The one thing about it is that it's thin. There's not nearly as many exercises as 5. I decided that we would move through at our regular pace, and if we finish early, we'll move on to next year's material.

• Like 1

My kids completed the Singapore series through 6B along with the CWP books.  They then moved into AoPS.  If I had a "do-over", I would make the same decision again. 

Interesting. Did your kids go from SM 6B to AOPS Pre-A or Algebra? Like many others, I was planning to go from BA/SM 5 to AOPS Pre-A because I thought that SM 6 was mostly review. 

• Like 1

I have the Standards 6A and B, but we skipped it. We did do some of the level 6 CWP (old version). I think it is of some value, but we decided to do AoPS Pre-Algebra instead. With my next dc I may do the 6 level if I decide to use a different pre-algebra book, but if we use AoPS again, I won't bother.

Then again, we have done most of the IPs and all the CWP for Singapore, plus some LOF, Zaccaro, and with second child, some Beast Academy. So not just Singapore 1-5 textbook and workbook.

• Like 1

A lot of people move away from Singapore for prealgebra/algebra because they want a more traditional math sequence. Singapore is integrated.

I am trying to make this decision as well. I've heard US is review, but that Standards does have some new content and takes the rest to greater depth. My daughter has done well with 5, but I think a year of solidifying skills would be good for her. I can't think of a good reason to rush her to algebra.

Jenny at Singapore did not recommend going from 5B to NEM. She said 5B to DMCC7 was okay.

What is the more traditional versus integrated approach you are referring to? I think I may be able to guess, but never heard the terms before, and would like to know a little more. Are there pros/ cons? Thanks.

What is the more traditional versus integrated approach you are referring to? I think I may be able to guess, but never heard the terms before, and would like to know a little more. Are there pros/ cons? Thanks.

There is no separate geometry course. Geometry is mixed into each book with algebra. NEM grade 7 has pre-algebra, some algebra I and some geometry. Grade 8 has algebra I and geometry. Jenny at Singapore said that the new common core edition has been brought somewhat into alignment with the typical US progression, but she did not give details. The cons are that it's a bit more difficult to transcript and if there is a possibility of B&M school, placement is more difficult.

Saxon integrates and I love that.  I would have stuck with SM past elementary, but it's expensive and not much instructor support materials compared with Saxon.  I loved SM math.  Plus since I've been homeschooling they've had versions come and go.  I don't like that.  I want to be relatively certain I can continue with the same series. 

Interesting. Did your kids go from SM 6B to AOPS Pre-A or Algebra? Like many others, I was planning to go from BA/SM 5 to AOPS Pre-A because I thought that SM 6 was mostly review. 

The AoPS pre-algebra book was only available for my daughter.  She went from 6B to AoPS pre-algebra.  My middle son went from 6B to AoPS algebra.