Menu

So can someone tell me about Singapore Math post-PM6B? I really like that it is an integrated approach to math, and that they have work books to go along with it but...How do all of the different programs fit together? Why are some of them 1/2 canceled and the others not...I am confused.

What happened to New Elementary Mathematics level 3 and 4? Why did they cancel them? Is it possible to order them from a different site perhaps?

What is with Dimensions Math being retitled Discovering Math 1 and 2??? Are they planning to rewrite and publish the rest of Dimensions Math as Discovering Math 3 and 4? If so, when will that be out?

Discovering Mathematics was replacing New Elementary Math. Now Discovering Math is in the process of being reworked to match US marketplace requirements--common core, perhaps realigning a bit what is in each book. I had heard that they were moving topics so that Algebra 1 would be covered in first two books for instance. I have not seen the new books---each has come out a few months after I would have needed it. My current 8th grader used Discovering Mathematics 1, 2, and is doing some of 3A to make sure we've hit all of the Algebra 1 (she goes off to public high school next year and I need to make sure she's covered it all). If I were buying it today, I would go ahead with Discovering Math 7 and 8.  I don't know if there will be a Discovering Mathematics 9 or if it is now a 2 year program. If that's what I would have needed for next year, my guess is it will come out in October! For my youngest, I'll have to decide whether to use what I've got or try DM 7 to see if I like it better. For me, sometimes "being more aligned with US math" isn't necessarily an improvement, so it's possible I'll stick with what I've got.

There was a big jump in expectations and difficulty level moving from the primary math series to DM. Math is not my dd's favorite subject and it took a few months for her to begin to do well with it. We've worked a lot on showing work (she likes to do it in her head) and checking your work as you go (all answers are in the back). I do think she is getting a great math education from Singapore. I used to teach high school math, so I can honestly tell her that she can solve word problems that would trip up many/most high school freshmen and sophomores. I like the integrated approach and dd always looked forward to a geometry "break" from algebra. She knows how to use algebra within geometry problems, and when she enters her high school geometry class in the fall, she'll have a head start. I also think the integrated approach is better for eventually being prepared for SAT type tests.

We used the textbooks and then after each chapter did the corresponding pages in the workbooks. The workbooks have the harder, more interesting problems and provide more practice to really solidify the concepts. We stopped doing the challenging section of the workbooks as we were taking too long per chapter to get everything done in a year. And this dd didn't need challenging! All that to say, definitely plan on using the workbooks as well as the textbooks.

Singapore revised their syllabus a few years back, and DM is aligned with the new syllabus, while NEM was aligned with the old syllabus. If you want a secondary series that isn't being adapted to the US market, you can check www.sgbox.com, which carries the textbooks currently in use in Singapore. . I've, in the past, been able to get textbooks in the Singapore editions for about the same as it would have cost to get the US editions, because even though shipping is higher, the books end up costing less individually.

The main reason I didn't continue with SM at Pre-algebra is that my DD was dying for a book with "Algebra" on the cover, because to her, that was what the BIG KIDS got to do. Integrated maths, even if it was the same content, just didn't have that cachet in her mind. I'm also not 100% sure that she'll never go back to a traditional school, so I was nervous about getting too outside the US sequence. So, I've had her doing the Singapore integrated syllabus on Mathletics, along with AOPS, so she gets some of both worlds.

Though I have not used them personally, we have heard from four separate families that when the approach was reworked to fit the US system it hurt the program significantly. Apparently, there became more confusion and less cohesive feel than the previous flow of the texts. Again, I have not used them. Merely reporting a recurring complaint.

I used the old Discovering Math 1A and then the revised DM Common Core 7B. There is very little difference between the two of them aside from adding a few topics and shifting some from higher levels into lower ones. The rigor is the same.

NEM 3 & 4 never had solutions manuals published, and I think that's a big reason why they got discontinued.

I'm guessing that the complaints EndOfOrdinary is hearing are folks who used NEM and are now looking at DM. NEM has a very different format than DM and one that I personally don't care for. Frankly, NEM intimidated me while DM looks like a continuation of the Primary Math series. Especially with a younger student DM is more "friendly" in appearance.

I also have a copy of New Mathematics Counts 1 that I got from our charter's lending library. That is the old 7th grade book for students who did not test high enough for placement in NEM. It is easier than DM 7 and I used it as a source of review/reinforcement exercises. I wouldn't recommend it as a "spine".

Gil, I have run circles around this issue trying to make a plan for my younger.

NEM is about the ugliest set of math books I have ever seen.  The text is too dense and the different sections are not clearly differentiated with formatting.  It was just not usable for my younger.  In contrast, DM has larger text, more colour, more differentiation etc.  The material is very similar between the two *if* you include the workbooks;  DMCC *textbook* is much easier than NEM.

Because DMCC  has only been written for grade 7 and 8 currently, my initial thought was to go with the original DM series and buy levels 1-4.  Unfortunately, Levels 1 and 2 are simply not available anymore. As you probably know, they are no longer sold in the USA.  So thinking that the UK would not want a US common core approach, I looked there.  I even contacted the representative directly, and they do not source Levels 1 and 2 anymore (I forget the details, they had some stuff, but not everything I needed. I have the e-mails on my other computer if you want me to dig them up).  They are no longer sold in Australia, and I have tried and tried to find them in Singapore but with no luck.  Singapore's site does not have active links, and all the contacts listed were duds.

So I did a scope and sequence comparison to see if I could use DMCC 7 and 8 and then DM 3 and 4 after that.  The answer is yes.  There has been some switching around of topics, mostly to move topics *forward* into 7 and 8.  This means that there will be some overlap between DM 3 and DMCC 8, but there appear to be no gaps.  If that makes sense. 

My hope is that by the time we finish DMCC 8, levels 9 and 10 will be available, but if they are not I will be buying DM 3 and 4.

Happy to answer more questions.

Ruth in NZ

...I have tried and tried to find them in Singapore but with no luck.  Singapore's site does not have active links, and all the contacts listed were duds.

The version of DM used in Singapore schools is available in the local bookstores. International shipping will be high but if these are books you cannot find locally, the shipping may be worth it.

Another thing to consider is that you'll need Additional Maths to round out the geometry and pre-calc topics. Then AM goes on to differential calculus. So, SM covers more than typical US math in their 7-10 program if you include AM.

It's a bit of a pain to make the scope and sequence work, but DM 7 is the nicest secondary math book I've found. It's got clear explanations, a reasonable number of problems in different difficulty ranges and a visually appealing layout. After having taken a look at a LOT of US math books, I couldn't find anything I liked as well. Most of the pre-algebra books are too busy visually, don't take the time to really explain the math deeply and throw 150 problems at you. I know you're supposed to pick and choose, but I'd rather have a more thoughtful selection up front. The workbook adds enough challenge for most mathy kids, without having to go the discovery route with AoPS. The only real negative to DM/AM is the cost.

My hope is that by the time we finish DMCC 8, levels 9 and 10 will be available, but if they are not I will be buying DM 3 and 4.

Ruth in NZ

Just fyi, this is exactly what Jenny at Singaporemath.com told me to do, so I think you're on the right track!

Gil, I have run circles around this issue trying to make a plan for my younger.

NEM is about the ugliest set of math books I have ever seen.  Amen! The text is too dense and the different sections are not clearly differentiated with formatting.  It was just not usable for my younger.  In contrast, DM has larger text, more colour, more differentiation etc.  The material is very similar between the two *if* you include the workbooks;  DMCC *textbook* is much easier than NEM.

Thank you! This is perfect! I am so glad that you were able to let me know! I have been looking and looking, reading and reading but I was still unable to grasp where everything was supposed to fit together and how. We'll definitely be needing the workbooks! :)

Because DMCC  has only been written for grade 7 and 8 currently, my initial thought was to go with the original DM series and buy levels 1-4.  Unfortunately, Levels 1 and 2 are simply not available anymore. As you probably know, they are no longer sold in the USA.  So thinking that the UK would not want a US common core approach, I looked there.  I even contacted the representative directly, and they do not source Levels 1 and 2 anymore (I forget the details, they had some stuff, but not everything I needed. I have the e-mails on my other computer if you want me to dig them up).  They are no longer sold in Australia, and I have tried and tried to find them in Singapore but with no luck.  Singapore's site does not have active links, and all the contacts listed were duds.

So I did a scope and sequence comparison to see if I could use DMCC 7 and 8 and then DM 3 and 4 after that.  The answer is yes.  There has been some switching around of topics, mostly to move topics *forward* into 7 and 8.  This means that there will be some overlap between DM 3 and DMCC 8, but there appear to be no gaps.  If that makes sense.

I don't mind over lap in the least, in fact it is great to review something and we can skip it if the boys just absolutely don't need it! This is perfect! So, we'll go with DMCC7 + DMCC8 and use DM3 and DM4 afterwards if DMCC 9 and 10 isn't out yet and--voila! Integrated math through highschool level!  I will refrain from speculating more than 4 grades ahead, but I am really optimistic about this approach. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Happy to answer more questions.

Ruth in NZ

Not high school level. In Singapore, the DM 1-4 books (plus the Additional Maths) are used up to the 10th grade (O level).

Yeah, I know, but I meant until my boys are highschool aged. We'll be starting Singapore DMCC young and using a few (or several other) texts along with it. My goal is to use them for 5-6 years so that by the time the boys are 13yo/14yo and ready for 9th grade, we should be ready for other things.