Menu

Calvin and Hobbes

My son has recently read a couple of Magic Tree House books. I don't like them much, but he sailed through two books in one afternoon after our library visit, and he loved them. 

He enjoys Clyde Robert Bulla, but I can't say it is love.  Not like Calvin & Hobbes. He will read anything I throw at him that is related to his current interests....lately that includes theatre set construction and manatees.  Who knew?!

He adores C&H, too. 

Garfield and Peanuts. For chapter books, any of the shorter ones by Roald Dahl, How to Train Your Dragon, Avatar the Last Airbender chapter books.  Now at 11 he's read the entire Harry Potter series and isn't afraid if fat books.

• Like 1

Ah, my DD loves Calvin and Hobbes. Costco had the entire set before Christmas, and it was one of the only things she asked for! She and a friend are performing an aerial silks duet in May, and she's going to be Hobbes, and I managed to find a tiger leotard.

She also loves Peanuts (I think she's read all of them from the 50s-90s) and Get Fuzzy, which is a single guy living with his hilarious dog and cat. We happened to have a bunch of those because DH and I loved them, and she got really into them too.

Her non-comic interests are mostly older realistic fiction nowadays with girl protagonists so likely not as interesting to your DS!

What is it with 8 year olds and Calvin and Hobbes? Mine has read our books till they fell apart.  She also likes Garfield, Babymouse, Squish (by the same author, but more gender-neutral).  In "real" books, she loves the Percy Jackson series, and Harry Potter though she's self-selected to only read the first 4 books at this point.  She loves all kinds of mythology, though she's not a huge fairy tale fan.  She blew through Shannon Hale's Princess in Black in about 15 minutes, so I'm thinking of trying her on some more Hale books.

My dd read comics avidly for years.  She enjoyed both the humor and the narrative/personalities behind it, so those were usually present in other books she enjoyed.  The Sam Campbell series is good for that age.  TinTin.  We used the TQ history guides and she liked historical fiction with either the human element (COFAs, for instance) or humor (Mr. Revere and I).  It wasn't so much that I looked for books with humor as that she just seemed to gravitate to them.  She still likes things with that irony, satire, or twist.  

Ds was obsessed with Calvin and Hobbes. We have them all and he read them constantly in 3rd grade. 

Other favorites at that age:

The Secrets of Droon

Geronimo Stilton

Captain Underpants (yuck)

To this day, he credits the Secrets of Droon series with getting him hooked on reading and even making him want to become an author, his current goal.