• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I think sarcastic people don't mind sarcastic people. Non sarcastic people have told me that I have a bad attitude, and that sarcasm is a sin that I struggle with. I assume those people have never read any of Paul's writings.

I can tell the difference between sarcasm as funny and sarcasm as meanness.  You're not being mean.

I tease people who are short.  That's not mean, either.  It's really hysterical. :lol:

• Like 1

Dh smoked two large briskets and a large turkey breast for Christmas Eve. We had seven adults, an adult who had already eaten, four teens, and a kid. We ate most of one brisket. He timed the turkey wrong so it was ready during dessert and no one ate but a bite to taste it.

For the past five days I have done everything with brisket possible. Brisket plain, with bbq sauce, given the hard and fatty pieces to the dog, brisket nachos, and now brisket on baked potatoes. The turkey is almost gone. YAY. It's an odd problem to have, this overabundance of brisket.

You shouldn't give human food to dogs. They don't digest it well and it's bad for their teeth. Feel free to Ignore this post! but I just wanted you to know.

You shouldn't give human food to dogs. They don't digest it well and it's bad for their teeth. Feel free to Ignore this post! but I just wanted you to know.

I don't give her much.  Just the hard parts to chew on.  I promise.  I also give her sweet potato skins and yogurt.  Oh, and peanut butter. :gnorsi:

If Critterfixer tells me to knock it off, I will consider it, but I'm pretty stubborn.  I don't give her the stuff that is bad or toxic to dogs.

Another day, another library Star Wars party.

n7fSdAal.jpg

FXOqmYll.jpg

6vq4ea3l.jpg

No idea what's going on with the shape of Chewie's legs, but my modified stilts were WAY easier to walk in than before because the bottoms are rounded now instead of flat. Woo! Sadly, his legs look like hairy vases. Gotta fix.

3KR3XwPl.jpg

It was a good time but I had no idea that the library was in such an urban area. We were a little afraid our car would be towed from the alley we had to park in even though it's where the librarian said to park (it was covered in Tow warnings and not owned by the library). Also our small town library was just.. nicer. The big library folks were appreciative but there was also this air of "You should be honored to be in our amazing library, on a volunteer basis, at our request which was turned down by every other Star Wars person in the state..." So.. weird.

Also their PR person (apparently this is a full time position there) asked my wife to step back out of the frame so that she could get a shot of my daughter with BB-8 on her face. Then, after my wife stepped back, said "No, further..."

• Like 8

I think sarcastic people don't mind sarcastic people. Non sarcastic people have told me that I have a bad attitude, and that sarcasm is a sin that I struggle with. I assume those people have never read any of Paul's writings.

You sure seem to meet a lot of jerks, Slache. :(

• Like 2

I don't give her much. Just the hard parts to chew on. I promise. I also give her sweet potato skins and yogurt. Oh, and peanut butter. :gnorsi:

If Critterfixer tells me to knock it off, I will consider it, but I'm pretty stubborn. I don't give her the stuff that is bad or toxic to dogs.

Ok, all of that's bad. Carrots are good. Just give carrots.

Critterfixer! Back me up here!

• Like 1

If Critterfixer tells me to knock it off, I will consider it, but I'm pretty stubborn.  I don't give her the stuff that is bad or toxic to dogs.

No brisket scraps. Too much fat=angry pancreas. 

I am not opposed to the yogurt, limited amounts of sweet potato and peanut butter. My rule of thumb is that table scraps+ treats should be no more than 5% of the diet. And no fatty stuff! Ideally, the 5% would be fiber rich and not be high in protein either.

Mark, you need to hire yourself out for parties at $100 an hour.  Not even kidding.  

People do that as Disney princesses and stuff, but it is technically illegal and Disney has even sued or sent scary letters to people in the past.

I just prefer to do it for free for community type things anyway, plus it's against the Rebel Legion charter to hire out your costume. 

In my opinion, it's strictly for fun and charity.

But thanks for the compliment. :)

• Like 3

I am not opposed to the yogurt, limited amounts of sweet potato and peanut butter. My rule of thumb is that table scraps+ treats should be no more than 5% of the diet. And no fatty stuff! Ideally, the 5% would be fiber rich and not be high in protein either.

But that's all bad for their teeth. Tex, do you brush your dog's teeth?

5% is probably about what we do.  She is a 70 poundish Great Pyrenees.  She doesn't get scraps daily, maybe 2-3 times a week.  I give her the empty peanut butter containers to let her play with them and lick them and then remove them when she has done so.  She doesn't eat the plastic.  It's kind of like a big kong.

Okay.  No fatty scraps.  Got it.

• Like 1

People do that as Disney princesses and stuff, but it is technically illegal and Disney has even sued or sent scary letters to people in the past.

I just prefer to do it for free for community type things anyway, plus it's against the Rebel Legion charter to hire out your costume. 

In my opinion, it's strictly for fun and charity.

But thanks for the compliment. :)

I had no idea it was against the Rebel Legion charter.  For sure, don't do it. :hat:

That is cool that it is for fun and charity.  I suppose some things should be just for that.

Wait, you're a therapist! 

I know, right???

I think it's too late at night for me to enter into a serious discussion.  I had thoughts about your questions, if that helps.

Also, I think I am retired, at least temporarily. :laugh:  I can access that part of my brain when needed, and I talked to my little supervisee today, so I suspect that took all I had for today.  Tomorrow, the therapist brain may return.

However, I can tell when I am feeling more energetic because I start considering going to nursing school again*. :lol:

*This will never happen.  That ship has sailed.  I just use it as a barometer of better health, mood, and energy.

• Like 1

Heck no! When they get plaque-ridden, I will take her for a dental cleaning. It's the best I can do.

Trust me when I say I am always failing someone, furry or human. :lol:

Dental cleaning is not failing. Allowing your dog's teeth to rot out is failing, and believe it or not that's what most people do.

Hmm. I probably shouldn't mention that Buddy the GSD loves to go to the Elmira store, because he gets a hamburger patty (hand-formed and yummy) cooked on the 9,000 year old flat-top coated with ancient grease and part of my peanut butter milkshake...

:ph34r:

Yeah, that's not good.

I had no idea it was against the Rebel Legion charter.  For sure, don't do it. :hat:

That is cool that it is for fun and charity.  I suppose some things should be just for that.

Can't tell if you think the Rebel Legion is like the Buck Rogers Fan Club or something. Hehe.

It's actually a massive costuming organization officially recognized by LucasFilm and now Disney as the preferred hobbyist costuming organization of Star Wars, which sounds silly but actually means that Rebel Legion people have been used in Disney official parades for basically ever, have been in the Rose parade, at the Super Bowl, etc. Rebel Legion members visit children's hospitals, charity drives, and all sorts of cool stuff. The membership charter is serious business regarding conduct and the costume standards are very rigorous. Right now my Chewie isn't even officially approved as a Rebel Legion wookiee because he has some issues to fix, like the shape of his legs and his big heavy mullet... :)

Edited by MarkW
  • Like 2

Or just do what I do and give your dog filet mignon from the table, because my Berner gets a bite of my steak once a week and usually a quarter square of American cheese on some other day of the week, too.

Oh and she LOVES whipped cream!!

• Like 1

Can't tell if you think the Rebel Legion is like the Buck Rogers Fan Club or something. Hehe.

It's actually a massive costuming organization officially recognized by LucasFilm and now Disney as the preferred hobbyist costuming organization of Star Wars, which sounds silly but actually means that Rebel Legion people have been used in Disney official parades for basically ever, have been in the Rose parade, at the Super Bowl, etc. Rebel Legion members visit children's hospitals, charity drives, and all sorts of cool stuff. The membership charter is serious business regarding conduct and the costume standards are very rigorous. Right now my Chewie isn't even officially approved as a Rebel Legion wookiee because he has some issues to fix, like the shape of his legs and his big heavy mullet... :)

Trust me when I say this is all new to me. :lol:   But it is interesting.  And I hope you get to visit kids in hospitals.

• Like 2

Dental cleaning is not failing. Allowing your dog's teeth to rot out is failing, and believe it or not that's what most people do.

She is skittish so, sadly, as you all know, I have failed at cutting her nails and have to pay Petsmart $10 every quarter to do it. I cannot imagine brushing her teeth.   

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 2

OH, I REMEMBER WHAT TOOK MY BRAIN TODAY!!!  I worked on my syllabus for English class.  After that, I was toast.  I have to do more of it tomorrow.  Then I interacted with the general public at two different locations, which whipped me.

Oh my word.  The general public?  That's enough to kill a person.  Every time. 

• Like 5

Padding for the Booyah!

Should auld booyas be forgot(ten)

And never brought to mind?

Should auld booyahs be forgot(ten)

And auld lang booya!

For auld lang booya, my dear

For auld lang booyah.

We'll take a cup of coffee with peppermint mocha creamer yet,

And auld lang booya!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 7