Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 minute ago, Junie said:

Change 3 1/2 to an improper fraction:  7/2

Now you have 1/3 divided by 7/2.

Next you multiply by the reciprocal (turn the second fraction upside down).  1/3 times 2/7.

Equals 2/21.

I think.

The math teacher I'm married to is still at work.

Agreed.

It's a mathooya!

• Like 4

2/21 = n/28

You need to find the least common multiple.  I cheated and looked it up.  It's 84.

(1st fraction will be multiplied by 4; the second fraction by 3)

8/84 = 3n/84

8 =3n

8/3 = n

I think.

Like I said, the math teacher is at work.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Junie said:

2/21 = n/28

You need to find the least common multiple.  I cheated and looked it up.  It's 84.

(1st fraction will be multiplied by 4; the second fraction by 3)

8/84 = 3n/84

8 =3n

8/3 = n

I think.

Like I said, the math teacher is at work.

I don't have an opinion on this because I was getting Krissi and I coffee instead of figuring it out and now I don't care. But I'll agree because you seem to have this down.

• Like 3

Ok,  it I just have this question.... if it is proportion, why not just cross multiply and divide? Today in DS’s math we needed to set up a proportion to done out how many fl. oz. are in 8 cups?

so, we set it up as 

8/1 = x/8

as in 8 oz in 1 cup how many in 8 cups? 8*8=64 divided by 1=64. There are 64 oz. in 8 cups. And that makes sense. Right?  I set the other problem up the same way. Why was that wrong? I don’t understand where you are looking at common denominators.

14 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I'm discovering that I own two copies of Madeleine, The Story of Ping, and a few other children's books.  What have been your favorite children's books?

Madeline in both English and Spanish, Harold and the Purple Crayon. Goodnight Moon is probably my favorite. Have you ever noticed that you read certain books certain ways? I like the way I read Goodnight Moon. It's very calming and gentle.

Everything Dr. Seuss. I'm great at reading Dr. Seuss. I could do it professionally. 

• Like 1

What do find when you finally stop procrastinating and actually look through some of your books in storage containers?

Stuff that you have on your to buy list for the Geography course you're planning for next year, you might even find a world atlas in there!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mama25angels said:

What do find when you finally stop procrastinating and actually look through some of your books in storage containers?

Stuff that you have on your to buy list for the Geography you're planning for next year, you might even find a world atlas in there!

Yup! That's why I'm cleaning out the schoolroom today. I'm gathering stuff I need for next year as I go along.

I'm also realizing that this is the year I really need to go through _How to Read a Book_ and _How to Read Literature Like a Professor_ with oldest.  I'm setting those aside to thumb through tonight.

Congrats on your find and on saving money!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yup! That's why I'm cleaning out the schoolroom today. I'm gathering stuff I need for next year as I go along.

I'm also realizing that this is the year I really need to go through _How to Read a Book_ and _How to Read Literature Like a Professor_ with oldest.  I'm setting those aside to thumb through tonight.

Congrats on your find and on saving money!

Yup!  I need to dig those out too!

So we have this doggie doorbell http://pebblesmart.com/

You train dogs to use it by putting a dog treat behind the bell.  I couldn't figure out why Juliet had suddenly stopped using it until I realized that the treat was no longer in it's spot.  So I put a new treat in there.  Now she's ringing the doorbell constantly again!  (I like it best when she uses it consistently for when she really needs to go out.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

I worked out, walked the kids, bathed the kids, cleaned the house and made dinner. Now, what am I forgetting? 

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Lynn was supposed to bring me coffee. :dry:

School! That's the thing!

It's 42.

Sorry, I was at the pool

I knew it was school.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I see y'all moved on to children's books, but I like the math problem better.  I got n = 8/3

I cross multiplied and then multiplied both sides by 6 to get rid of the fractions which resulted in 56 = 21n, etc.  

Yes, n=8/3 aka 2 2/3

I don’t understand that last part.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Yes, n=8/3 aka 2 2/3

I don’t understand that last part.

I wrote down the cross multiplication step and it looked like this (ish)

1/3 * 28 = 7/2 * n

I knew that 28 was not divisible by 3  evenly, so I decided to multiply both sides of the equation by 6.  That resulted in:

56 = 21n

Then I divided both sides by 21 and reduced to get 8/3 = n.  

• Like 1

Stepping away from math for a minute, lol.  There's a thread on the chat board about how to store holiday decorations (etc) if you don't have a shed, attic, etc.  

I don't want to hijack her thread with my unfelpful ramblings accompanied by a touch of drool down the chin.  I just want to tell you guys that we don't store stuff in the shed or the attic.  There are some Christmas decorations in the basement (barely a step up from the garage) or the garage, but I HATE (hate with the passion of a thousand suns) the day that anything re-enters my house after it has been in the garage or basement.  (And trust me, my house isn't that clean).  But I really feel like once it's been in either of those places it is contaminated and may not re-enter my realm.  Also, I would be good with never owning any decorations or anything that was not used a significant percentage of the time.  You may come pull my feminine homemaking card anytime you like.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Stepping away from math for a minute, lol.  There's a thread on the chat board about how to store holiday decorations (etc) if you don't have a shed, attic, etc.  

I don't want to hijack her thread with my unfelpful ramblings accompanied by a touch of drool down the chin.  I just want to tell you guys that we don't store stuff in the shed or the attic.  There are some Christmas decorations in the basement (barely a step up from the garage) or the garage, but I HATE (hate with the passion of a thousand suns) the day that anything re-enters my house after it has been in the garage or basement.  (And trust me, my house isn't that clean).  But I really feel like once it's been in either of those places it is contaminated and may not re-enter my realm.  Also, I would be good with never owning any decorations or anything that was not used a significant percentage of the time.  You may come pull my feminine homemaking card anytime you like.  

This sounds very similar to a conversation I had with dh just a few days ago, except I do store things in the basement.

The basement is for clean storage.

The garage is for dirty storage.  Once it is in the garage it should never come back into the house.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Junie said:

This sounds very similar to a conversation I had with dh just a few days ago, except I do store things in the basement.

The basement is for clean storage.

The garage is for dirty storage.  Once it is in the garage it should never come back into the house.

Quite right, quite right!  My basement would be acceptable storage except that I may (or may not) have a semi-irrational fear of going down there and finding something horrible.  That, and there's a constant moisture issue which is A/C related.  Dehumidifier runs all the time in the summer and it still gets musty.  (#teamslab)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Junie said:

Yay for getting the right answer!

But I thought I got the wrong answer.  But that’s ok. We can talk about something else now because I don’t like math. I was just pushing the issue because I thought I did it right, then I read everyone else’s answer and thought I did it wrong and wanted to know why.... but now i’m Even more confused, so..... i’m Just gonna pour myself a big mug of COFFEE~D and go tackle my closet and hope Ellie drops by.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Umm, I don't much care for lots of decorations either, it means I have to dust them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Another Lynn said:

I commend you for not having a basement.  

I don’t know many people who do. At least here in California. When I was growing up we had a crawl-space under our house and I thought that was a basement. Imagine my surprise when I learned that people had whole rooms under their houses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1