• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

But there are certain treatments that are better for certain people. That's what happened to Ryan (possibly).

Yes that's true but these variations are still tiny. They just happen to have specific medical consequences.

They're specific to certain ancestral backgrounds for various reasons but probably the biggest is national/regional/"racial" segregation. Jewish people tend to get Crohn's, Irish people tend to get skin cancers, etc.

Edited by MarkW

Now that's not to say that if we were all the same color, people wouldn't still have a genetic predisposition to some medical issue. And admittedly there are some opportunities right now to use certain more obvious genetic markers like nationality to predict the likelihood of certain adverse drug reactions, but that's already becoming less reliable anyway.

My daughter was almost killed by a drug reaction because of her specific genetics. She's as WASP as it gets. She looked like a radiation exposure victim after she got Remicade for her Crohn's. 

Edited by MarkW

I think this applies here:

B208F3DB-72A4-43D7-8DE4-FC63957CB607_zps

Satanic peanut butter.  My kids are weird.  You're welcome.

This is the sort of thing my oldest would do. And her best friend (who moved to Maine 5 years ago and they're both STILL really upset about it.)

• Like 1

One way to think about it, Slache (and then I'll shut up), is that if the genetic divide between humans of different regional ancestry were really that large, interbreeding wouldn't even be possible.

Then after that we get into evolution and some of you will get upset, so that's probably it.  :willy_nilly:

• Like 2

Dawn -- :grouphug: so sorry to hear of all the illness.  We are in the trenches with you.  I've decided to use it as a good excuse to get all my online Christmas shopping done.  

Slache -  LOVE LOVE LOVE Aden + Anais.   I grabbed a few burpy bibs at Target last night (which I adore... the shape is so perfect, and they are so light!  I can walk around with one flung over my shoulder and forget it's there.  Plus bib. :coolgleamA: ),  but there were no swaddlers in stock.  I could probably Prime a swaddler in time, but I don't think this mom is the swaddler type.  She and I have quite different baby-stage styles, so I'm trying to avoid things she may not actually use anyway.   So far I have this and this and this for a little bag/basket.   Kind of a random assortment, but the book is likely to be used (they homeschool), and jellycat (the bunny) gets rave reviews from all the mamas to whom I've given jellycats.  So snuggly.  My babies won't sleep without theirs and one friend went and bought duplicates because they became her twins' favorite lovies.  And the bib because Aden + Anais.   :001_wub:   I've already maxed my budget, but all can be returned so I'm going to hit one more store before deciding.  

aden_zpsrhud1ijv.jpg

book_zpshanhpciw.jpg

jellycat_zpschm81oxd.jpg

• Like 5

I just ate an awesome sauce chicken salad sandwich from a local deli, which was my treat to myself for going walking at lunch even though I woke up feeling horrible and skipped my morning walk.  And took Dayquil before work. 

So exercise: Day 13

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 4

When I was pregnant the first time, my exercise program was something like this.

Walk to the refrigerator. Walk to the sofa.

Walk to the refrigerator. Walk to the sofa.

I went through a long period of depression and came out about 300 pounds. I changed everything and lost tons of weight and now I'm super hot. The story is actually much longer than that, but I have made exercise a regular part of my life and I feel incomplete without it. If you knew me years ago you wouldn't believe me. ;) I wish I had the strength to work out now. I'd probably be happier.
  • Like 4

I went through a long period of depression and came out about 300 pounds. I changed everything and lost tons of weight and now I'm super hot. The story is actually much longer than that, but I have made exercise a regular part of my life and I feel incomplete without it. If you knew me years ago you wouldn't believe me. ;) I wish I had the strength to work out now. I'd probably be happier.

Just do it.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 2

Wow!!  Good for you. :hurray: 

I grew up in a family of people with weight struggles.  Meanwhile, my struggle was the opposite.  I was too thin and always sick. 

Now, I am about 20 pounds heavier than I would like to be.

I should exercise more, but I am so tired.

We joined a gym earlier this year.  I have been giving swimming lessons to dd11 and dd9.  I would like to take water aerobics classes, but so far it's been too difficult to schedule with everything else.

• Like 2

Wow!! Good for you. :hurray:

I grew up in a family of people with weight struggles. Meanwhile, my struggle was the opposite. I was too thin and always sick.

Now, I am about 20 pounds heavier than I would like to be.

I should exercise more, but I am so tired.

We joined a gym earlier this year. I have been giving swimming lessons to dd11 and dd9. I would like to take water aerobics classes, but so far it's been too difficult to schedule with everything else.

Have you considered a supplement for more energy? Like a pre-workout drink?

And cramping. Not like oh my gosh what's happening someone call 911 cramping, but the more active I am the more I cramp. No me gusta.

Both could be something to do with electrolytes/dehydration. Have you talked to the doc about it? I'd be concerned about early contractions and such with those kind of symptoms starting up.

I wouldn't panic, but I would definitely not wait to tell my OB about it.

No, actually, I had never thought of that. Any recommendations?

I like Hydroxycut SX7, which I call my super mom pills, and Hydroxycut #shatter as a pre-workout supplement. You can get them at GNC. If you pick one get SX7.

I've done several Beach Body programs including 21 Day Fix, P90X, P90X3, T25, Insanity, Insanity Max:30, Insanity Asylum, Les Mills Combat, and I've played with Body Beast. I've done other things too, but Beach Body rocks!

You could finish 21 Day Fix with a free trial (streaming). It's a good program. Not my top pick, but it's one you could complete for free.

I like Hydroxycut SX7, which I call my super mom pills, and Hydroxycut #shatter as a pre-workout supplement. You can get them at GNC. If you pick one get SX7.

I've done several Beach Body programs including 21 Day Fix, P90X, P90X3, T25, Insanity, Insanity Max:30, Insanity Asylum, Les Mills Combat, and I've played with Body Beast. I've done other things too, but Beach Body rocks!

You could finish 21 Day Fix with a free trial (streaming). It's a good program. Not my top pick, but it's one you could complete for free.

Unsolicited advice: When I had my sudden back-breaker seizure, I was on supplements. I'm off of them now, because there's a good chance that the vitamins and electrolytes and such in them were responsible for throwing off my chemistry and causing the seizures to be as bad as they were.

All done with the unsolicited advice... :)

Both could be something to do with electrolytes/dehydration. Have you talked to the doc about it? I'd be concerned about early contractions and such with those kind of symptoms starting up.

I wouldn't panic, but I would definitely not wait to tell my OB about it.

OB knows. All pregnancies have involved pretty heavy cramping and I know what early contractions feel like.

I'm not dehydrated. I have clear pee. :D

• Like 1

Unsolicited advice: When I had my sudden back-breaker seizure, I was on supplements. I'm off of them now, because there's a good chance that the vitamins and electrolytes and such in them were responsible for throwing off my chemistry and causing the seizures to be as bad as they were.

I'm off of the supplements because I don't like caffeine pregnant. I'll have a small cup of coffee, but those supplements are too hard core for someone in my condition.

• Like 3

Off to google...

Thank you.  Definitely something to keep in mind.  Sometimes the best advice is unsolicited.

• Like 1

I just ordered my Christmas cards.  I used Merry Christmas rather than our inclusive Happy Holidays we typically use because the layout was better for our photos.I am sure dh will give me an eyebrow, but at least I got cards ordered.  I am apparently too cheap this year to pay for outfits and a photographer to take pics for us, and my tripod got lost somewhere in our move, so I can't do the photos ourselves yet. I popped in random photos from throughout the year into the card template, clicked upload, and went for it.  Again, at least I got them ordered.

I am sure that I will feel guilty and bitterly ashamed when the glitter cards from my friends come with their amazing photos and perfectly matching outfits and size 2 waists, but today I at least got them ordered.

I might even get them addressed and mailed this year.

• Like 7

Judging by the look of it, he did a screenshot/snipped it, and updated his siggy to look like she edited it.  See how it looks slightly shaded?

:lol:

I'm finally almost all caught up, so things are beginning to make sense....

Creative, Mark... but I worry about handing Tex so much power (or even the appearance of so much power)....

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 6

:lol:

I'm finally almost all caught up, so things are beginning to make sense....

Creative, Mark... but I worry about handing Tex so much power (or even the appearance of so much power)....

That's what I look like when I go nuts at bball tournaments.  (Only tournaments, not regular games.)

• Like 4

I'm off of the supplements because I don't like caffeine pregnant. I'll have a small cup of coffee, but those supplements are too hard core for someone in my condition.

OK I lied I have one more piece of unsolicited busy body input: supplements and vitamins aren't regulated by the FDA, so they aren't tested by any party without a financial interest in their marketing and they can make literally any claims they want on the bottle as long as they put "These claims not evaluated by the FDA" in tiny print somewhere on the bottle.

There have been a few cases of supplements found to not only NOT contain what they say they do, but cases where they contain dangerous doses of other stuff that's not even on the label.

OK now I'm really done picking on you about supplements. I work in healthcare I can't help it. :-X

• Like 1

OK I lied I have one more piece of unsolicited busy body input: supplements and vitamins aren't regulated by the FDA, so they aren't tested by any party without a financial interest in their marketing and they can make literally any claims they want on the bottle as long as they put "These claims not evaluated by the FDA" in tiny print somewhere on the bottle.

There have been a few cases of supplements found to not only NOT contain what they say they do, but cases where they contain dangerous doses of other stuff that's not even on the label.

OK now I'm really done picking on you about supplements. I work in healthcare I can't help it. :-X

I know. :)

• Like 1