Menu

Ok, I need some ideas.

LucyStoner

it's trying to reconcile two very valid but very opposite sets of information

That's the confusion/mental conflict I was referring to. Is the assignment for him to pick the topic and argue both sides himself, or is this something that he can research for the other side's arguments?

That's the confusion/mental conflict I was referring to. Is the assignment for him to pick the topic and argue both sides himself, or is this something that he can research for the other side's arguments?

The assignment is to write both sides of a point/counterpoint.

IE:

Spelling bees are pointless and here's why.

And

Spelling bees are not pointless and here's why.

Some topics would require research, others would not.

He has pretty strong writing skills and is pretty good at research. Researching about something he disagrees with is not the problem. The trouble is putting himself in to the opposing mindset and arguing that side. This is a common rough area for kids with ASD but he seems to be making at least some progress.

• Like 1

I think he should do a paper on whether it is better to read a book before or after seeing a movie adaptation, and why?

Not overly difficult or inflammatory, but super interesting and with a variety of opinions.

I think he should do a paper on whether it is better to read a book before or after seeing a movie adaptation, and why?

Not overly difficult or inflammatory, but super interesting and with a variety of opinions.

No, his paper would be:

101 Reasons Why Movies Based on Books Should be Banned from Ever Coming into Existence.

With a follow up:

101 ways to Punish People Who Defile Books by Deigning to Think A Movie Could Do Any Book Justice.

He'd make a really scary member of the Inquisition, were the Inquistion to be waged over geekdom.

• Like 5

No, his paper would be:

101 Reasons Why Movies Based on Books Should be Banned from Ever Coming into Existence.

With a follow up:

101 ways to Punish People Who Defile Books by Deigning to Think A Movie Could Do Any Book Justice.

He'd make a really scary member of the Inquisition, were the Inquistion to be waged over geekdom.

This is why we  no longer watch any movie adaptations of any book that ds has read  :lol:  

• Like 1

The assignment is to write both sides of a point/counterpoint.

IE:

Spelling bees are pointless and here's why.

And

Spelling bees are not pointless and here's why.

Some topics would require research, others would not.

He has pretty strong writing skills and is pretty good at research. Researching about something he disagrees with is not the problem. The trouble is putting himself in to the opposing mindset and arguing that side. This is a common rough area for kids with ASD but he seems to be making at least some progress.

Well you've pointed out that Minecraft arguments used to send him into a spiral, would he be able to write the paper on the pros and cons of playing in creative mode?

Well you've pointed out that Minecraft arguments used to send him into a spiral, would he be able to write the paper on the pros and cons of playing in creative mode?

I think so, though he has moved on from Minecraft for the most part other than troubleshooting stuff for his cousins and brother. He wrote a little Minecraft Book about a 1 and a half ago. At this point I think he might be uninterested.

He's at a drop off environmental action thing today as a volunteer leader. It's great to see him out of his shell a bit. That's a topic he would have a hard time arguing both sides of for sure.

I think so, though he has moved on from Minecraft for the most part other than troubleshooting stuff for his cousins and brother. He wrote a little Minecraft Book about a 1 and a half ago. At this point I think he might be uninterested.

He's at a drop off environmental action thing today as a volunteer leader. It's great to see him out of his shell a bit. That's a topic he would have a hard time arguing both sides of for sure.

Does he have another game he is interested in playing now that might work?  How about Legos?  What are the pros (following instructions) and cons (no ability of designing your own work) of only ever building the kits exactly like they are shown?