Menu

nebraska/South Dakota attractions?

fruitofthewomb

South Dakota...we drove cross country this past summer.  Wall Drug was in the Badlands area.  We skipped the Corn Palace but I hear it's very interesting....  And if you are that close you might as well go see Mt Rushmore.  We were very impressed with our visit.  Went at dusk...so not the best photo time but they had a nice patriotic show and it wasn't too hot to do the hike.  Go left to do the hike.  Go left!  

• Like 1

It really depends on your interests, ages of kids, and the route you are taking.  I lived in central South Dakota until I was 9, the Black Hills from ages 9-16, and now live in NE Colorado about 30 miles from Nebraska.  We visit South Dakota often and have family and friends throughout the Black Hills.  I could give you a really long list of things to not miss but you may not be interested in some of them.  There are some really great attractions and historical sites that not many tourists know about.  Let me know what you are looking for and I will supply you with a list.

It really depends on your interests, ages of kids, and the route you are taking. I lived in central South Dakota until I was 9, the Black Hills from ages 9-16, and now live in NE Colorado about 30 miles from Nebraska. We visit South Dakota often and have family and friends throughout the Black Hills. I could give you a really long list of things to not miss but you may not be interested in some of them. There are some really great attractions and historical sites that not many tourists know about. Let me know what you are looking for and I will supply you with a list.

My kids age ranges are 9 down to 1. Low cost preferable. My DH & I love history. We all love nature (pretty much everything about it-animals, foliage, rocks, water, etc) but can't do long or strenuous hikes. DH also loves airplanes & space. We don't like crowded places. Kids just like to be kids-run & play & explore.

We are going with family & those kids are a bit older-ages 5 to 14. They love nature too but not sure what else they would be interested in.

Thanks!!

There is a missle site you can see near the Badlands.  Kinsa here has a great blog of all sorts of things they did in this area last summer.

We LOVED the badlands.  Likely our favorite thing.

if you try to go to Mount Rushmore, don't go if it is foggy.  We drove all the way up there and couldn't see a thing.

Custer state park was nice and the wildlife loop let us see the wild donkeys.......another hit for our kids.

South Dakota...we drove cross country this past summer. Wall Drug was in the Badlands area. We skipped the Corn Palace but I hear it's very interesting.... And if you are that close you might as well go see Mt Rushmore. We were very impressed with our visit. Went at dusk...so not the best photo time but they had a nice patriotic show and it wasn't too hot to do the hike. Go left to do the hike. Go left!

I came across the go left thing on a tourist site! Haha!

There is a missle site you can see near the Badlands. Kinsa here has a great blog of all sorts of things they did in this area last summer.

We LOVED the badlands. Likely our favorite thing.

if you try to go to Mount Rushmore, don't go if it is foggy. We drove all the way up there and couldn't see a thing.

Custer state park was nice and the wildlife loop let us see the wild donkeys.......another hit for our kids.

I am mobile bound so if you have a link for kinsa's site I would appreciate it!

I forgot military stuff-DH loves that kind of thing.

Wildlife loop sounds perfect for my kids!

We love the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha. It has made the list of "The Top 10 Zoos in the United States." We make a yearly trek from Minnesota to Nebraska just to visit the zoo.

Yes, the zoo is one of the best. They have many indoor attractions if the weather is rainy, too hot, or too cold. You could spend all day at the zoo and not see everything.

Carhenge is a fun stop on the way to SD. http://carhenge.com

I think someone mention SAC Museum which is also really cool for a 2-3 hour stop.

• Like 1

There are quite a few free activities that I think your family will enjoy.  Ellsworth Air Force Base is just east of Rapid City and has a free museum.  South Dakota School of Mines and Technology is in Rapid City and offers a free geological museum.  They have dinosaur skeletons, a room of glowing rocks, and more.  Rapid City also has a fish hatchery where you can feed fish and see fish and different stages of growth.  This is also free and a favorite for all ages.  Storybook Island in Rapid City is free and a really fun park that the entire group will enjoy.  There is an ultimate frisbee course next to Storybook Island that is free but you need to bring your own frisbees.  Dinosaur Hill in Rapid City (also known as Hangman's Hill) is free in Rapid City and offers excellent views of the area.  If you enjoy hiking then Harney Peak in Custer State Park is a wonderful hike but it does cost for state park admission.  You can drive through part of Custer State Park for free (from Custer to Hot Springs) and this is a great way to see buffalo and other animals.  Mount Rushmore is definitely worth the visit and Crazy Horse is also neat to see.  Around Custer, Hll City, and Deadwood are several wineries that have free tastings all day during the summer- if that interests you.  There are many gorgeous free hiking trails all throughout the Black Hills.  Wall Drug is free and a fun stop.  The Badlands are right next to Wall Drug and people either love or hate the Badlands.  I love them but many do not.  Pierre is the capital and has a beautiful Capitol Building that you can visit any time.  There are blue tiles hidden throughout the building and it is really fun to challenge each other to find them while going on self guided tours.  The Corn Palace in Mitchell is fun to see especially if they happen to be having a corn festival at the time.  There are various Indian and pioneer museums all throughout South Dakota if you want to look into those.  I could really go on and on.  If there are specific questions you have, want to know great places to eat, or want to know options for specific areas of interest please feel free to ask.  Oh, and do not go to South Dakota during the first 2 weeks of August.  This year will be the 75th anniversary of the Sturgis Rally and it will be crazy and expensive during that time. 

• Like 1

There are quite a few free activities that I think your family will enjoy. Ellsworth Air Force Base is just east of Rapid City and has a free museum. South Dakota School of Mines and Technology is in Rapid City and offers a free geological museum. They have dinosaur skeletons, a room of glowing rocks, and more. Rapid City also has a fish hatchery where you can feed fish and see fish and different stages of growth. This is also free and a favorite for all ages. Storybook Island in Rapid City is free and a really fun park that the entire group will enjoy. There is an ultimate frisbee course next to Storybook Island that is free but you need to bring your own frisbees. Dinosaur Hill in Rapid City (also known as Hangman's Hill) is free in Rapid City and offers excellent views of the area. If you enjoy hiking then Harney Peak in Custer State Park is a wonderful hike but it does cost for state park admission. You can drive through part of Custer State Park for free (from Custer to Hot Springs) and this is a great way to see buffalo and other animals. Mount Rushmore is definitely worth the visit and Crazy Horse is also neat to see. Around Custer, Hll City, and Deadwood are several wineries that have free tastings all day during the summer- if that interests you. There are many gorgeous free hiking trails all throughout the Black Hills. Wall Drug is free and a fun stop. The Badlands are right next to Wall Drug and people either love or hate the Badlands. I love them but many do not. Pierre is the capital and has a beautiful Capitol Building that you can visit any time. There are blue tiles hidden throughout the building and it is really fun to challenge each other to find them while going on self guided tours. The Corn Palace in Mitchell is fun to see especially if they happen to be having a corn festival at the time. There are various Indian and pioneer museums all throughout South Dakota if you want to look into those. I could really go on and on. If there are specific questions you have, want to know great places to eat, or want to know options for specific areas of interest please feel free to ask. Oh, and do not go to South Dakota during the first 2 weeks of August. This year will be the 75th anniversary of the Sturgis Rally and it will be crazy and expensive during that time.

Thank you! I know I will have more questions!!

Thanks! I am bookmarking! Love her details!

So did we.  We went that way last summer and I used her information a lot to help us figure out what to do, where to stay, etc.

There are neat little cabins in Custer, SD (I think that was the town) that are older but have 2 bedrooms with a kitchenette in the middle.  Owned by a homeschooling adoptive family.

If you like history, western Nebraska and eastern Wyoming are full of historical sites.  Check out www.visitscottsbluff.com, http://www.goshencountychamber.com/pages/Tourism/and  www.discoverdawescounty.com/.   We have Chimney Rock, Scottsbluff National Monument, Robidoux Pass, Agate Fossil Beds, Legacy of the Plains Museum, Fort Robinson, Fort Laramie, and a ton of other attractions all within an hour and a half or less of each other.  Chadron (that would be the Dawes County site, and close to South Dakota) has Fur Trade days every summer.  Lots of awesome historical stuff to check out.  The Hudson-Meng Bison Bonebed, close to the Nebr/South Dakota Line, is a fun place to visit as well.  

• Like 1