Menu

nm

Katy

There is a vomiting and diarrhea bug going around here.  It could be that you've picked that up.  It's rampant in our area (VA), and I've heard it's elsewhere as well.  They have even sent letters home from school about it, because it's very contagious.  

I hope you feel better soon, and find your answers.

• Like 1

I don't have any advice, just  :grouphug: . I'm sorry that the way of eating that makes you feel best is turning out to be bad for you overall. I have a similar sort of situation, and it's really frustrating.

Personally, I would think that the dramatic change in your eating would be the most likely culprit. I think it's unlikely, though possible, that the meat was bad, and that's pretty soon after consumption for food poisoning to kick in. What about the breakfast eggs? Is there a chance those might have been bad?

I would keep eating the Atkins way for at least a few more days, until you see if you continue to be sick. I bet you'll be back to normal in a day or so. 

• Like 1

Sorry you are going through that.  It's a reminder to me to stay more vigilant though!  I have a somewhat similar situation.  Lots of diabetics in my family.  My sister was diagnosed in her early 30s and it's so out of control she has to take pills and injections. She follows the diet they give her, but that doesn't bring it down because the diet is BS. 

So far so good for me and I'm 40, but I am careful with what I eat.

• Like 1

I would think if it was the eggs everyone else would be sick too (except DH, who skipped breakfast yesterday).  I do have a tendency to get any sort of stomach flu I'm exposed too about 2-3 days after I'm exposed.  I thought the bathroom at the doctor's office smelled suspiciously strong like air freshener, I guess that was it.

You could have picked it up at the doctor's.  I brought mine for physicals over a week ago and the next day one of mine had a sore throat and for a few days was feeling blah.  Thankfully it didn't get much worse than that.  We had not gone anywhere else that day or the days after so it seems likely he picked something up there.

Vomiting and diarrhea is not "low carb flu". Either there was something off with something that you ate, or you've picked up a random and unrelated bug.

I agree not lc flu.

I do Atkins + exercise for diabetes control.  I use the plan in his Atkins 1972 book.  My bg readings are perfect.  Always under 100 when I awake and anywhere from 82 - 94 1 hour after a meal.  I feel great at 47 years I am 5'4" and weigh about 133 lb.

lowcarbfriends.com has a lot of good info they even have an A'72 forum with the exact diet from the book in a sticky. Be careful of the crazies who try to convince that A'72 is only meat, eggs, cheese & fat.  It is not.  I eat a lot of veggies 

I weigh, measure & track everything to not allow "carb creep".

• Like 4

I would think if it was the eggs everyone else would be sick too (except DH, who skipped breakfast yesterday).  I do have a tendency to get any sort of stomach flu I'm exposed too about 2-3 days after I'm exposed.  I thought the bathroom at the doctor's office smelled suspiciously strong like air freshener, I guess that was it.

:ack2:  OK, yeah, then that gets my vote for sure. I'm sorry!

Fwiw we've been fighting the stomach "flu" for 2 weeks now, I meant to post something about it, it doesn't want to go away or we keep passing it, I'm not sure. Anyway, because I was feeling off I checked my blood glucose levels and they were elevated 114 at 14 hrs fasting. Which of course made me a bit alarmed, well reading around I read that stomach bugs can really mess with your glucose levels big time and you need to watch them very closely if you are diabetic and have a stomach illness. Just an FYI, I'd vote stomach bug.

• Like 2

Yeah, that's not lowcarb flu.  LC flu is more like weak, achy, headache, some nausea maybe. 

Have you tested your sugars?  Just be careful you aren't dealing with something diabetes related like diabetic ketoacidosis.  Might be worth a call to your doc to be sure.

When you tried metformin in the past, how long did you give it?  I had a really tough time when I first started on the regular metformin a decade ago.  Incredible nausea, couldn't eat, felt like death.  DIdn't have too much intestinal disturbance, but I know a lot of people do initially.  But it passed after a few weeks and I had no further issues.  Years later I went back on met (I was taking for pcos, not diabetes, and during my first pregnancy they had me go off after my first trimester), I asked my endocrinologist about doing extended release to see if it would be an easier transition, and it was for me.  Just tossing that out there. My first go with it I was on 1500 mg, and took 500mg 3x a day.  When I went back on, I started taking 2000 mg of XR, and was able to tolerate it and ease back in with fewer side effects.

Adding to the others that I've never heard of vomiting associated with "LC flu."  Sounds like really unfortunate timing!

In general, low-carbing makes many people use up sodium and electrolytes faster than otherwise, and being low on them can contribute to a LC flu feeling.  Replacing electrolytes via broth and/or supplements can be very very helpful, especially during the adjustment period.  Add on the tummy bug that you have, with the vomiting and diarrhea, and replacing electrolytes could be rather crucial.

Also make sure you eat enough fat.  How much is enough will vary, but typically it would be more than you may have been eating before.  Once you switch over to nutritional ketosis, your energy is coming from fat rather than from carbs.  Often, a low-carb, low-fat diet will be unsuccessful in the long term for this reason - energy has to come from somewhere.

For further reading, you might check out the Volek and Phinney books from your library, Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living and Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance.  I found them super-helpful.

If you ever reconsider metformin, ask about the extended-release version if you hadn't tried that already.  The GI side effects are much easier with the extended-release than with regular metformin.  Eta, I see you already know :)

• Like 1

Yeah, she wrote me a script for metformin XR, basically said my numbers weren't THAT bad & first priority is to get off white starches, wait a few weeks, then give met a try again. Feel free to eat as much corn, peas, and squash as I wanted. Basically I may have had it for a while and eating the moderate carb way I was previously was keeping it in check.

I don't think she understands the family hx though, which suggests to me that if I don't have VERY tight control of this I'll get very brittle, very fast, need insulin in the next couple years, and either have a heart attack or liver issues in less than ten years.  Women with it in my family tend to have fatal heart attacks before menopause, even if they are very thin. So I'm taking this very seriously.  I'll give the met a try again once I've adapted to lower carb. Not very hopeful about that though.  One of those promethease results said I wouldn't respond positively to that medication.

It is great that you have the info and can work with it.  That is an enormous asset.  I hate having PCOS, but it has been very helpful in piecing together some parts of my extended family's health, and I'm thankful I was diagnosed in my early 20s since it puts me at increased risk of type 2.  I am not overweight, but am still insulin resistant to a degree, and I had been brushed off by many doctors over the years who thought I couldn't have PCOS since I wasn't overweight.  Many tend to think the same of diabetes IME.

Lower carb eating has helped my mom maintain a moderate weight loss for years and increase her HDL.  My dad has lowered his triglycerides substantially.  It has definitely been helpful info to have, even though it isn't a fun diagnosis and the long-term risks are serious (similar to diabetes: metabolic syndrome, heart issues, stroke, endometrial cancer, etc.).

Have you tried increasing your fat intake as you lower your protein?

• Like 1

Have you tried increasing your fat intake as you lower your protein?

Not yet.  I plan on doing that, but I haven't yet figured out how other than a full-on ketogenic diet.  The Wahl's Protocol outlines one, lower protein & carb, higher fat, esp coconut oil. But it seems either expensive (several cans of full-fat coconut milk per day plus tons of veggies) or complicated (make my own coconut milk?  What a pain!)

ETA:  and yes, I recognize my own hypocrisy here.  I was fully capable of making my own gluten free bread, but I'm not willing to spend less than half the time making coconut milk every day.  I hate change.  Especially when it means a very particular diet for me and a typical diet for everyone else in the family.

Not yet.  I plan on doing that, but I haven't yet figured out how other than a full-on ketogenic diet.  The Wahl's Protocol outlines one, lower protein & carb, higher fat, esp coconut oil. But it seems either expensive (several cans of full-fat coconut milk per day plus tons of veggies) or complicated (make my own coconut milk?  What a pain!)

ETA:  and yes, I recognize my own hypocrisy here.  I was fully capable of making my own gluten free bread, but I'm not willing to spend less than half the time making coconut milk every day.  I hate change.  Especially when it means a very particular diet for me and a typical diet for everyone else in the family.

It's hard to get a hold of fresh coconuts around here.

I am intrigued enough to read the book though. 

Have you read any of Bary Grove's books? 

• Like 1

Hate change here too.  I get used to things after a while but it takes so much more mental effort in the beginning.  I don't like to have to think about it, if that makes any sense.  I want the food to be automatic, like the type I need should just appear, LOL.  (I confess the only way I got sugar out of my coffee, for example, was to go bulletproof.)  Eta, that said, I hardly think one needs to make one's own coconut milk just to get the nutrients and fats to eat LCHF....  Tracking fats/carbs seemed to work out fine for me.

• Like 2

Yeah, she wrote me a script for metformin XR, basically said my numbers weren't THAT bad & first priority is to get off white starches, wait a few weeks, then give met a try again. Feel free to eat as much corn, peas, and squash as I wanted. Basically I may have had it for a while and eating the moderate carb way I was previously was keeping it in check.

I don't think she understands the family hx though, which suggests to me that if I don't have VERY tight control of this I'll get very brittle, very fast, need insulin in the next couple years, and either have a heart attack or liver issues in less than ten years.  Women with it in my family tend to have fatal heart attacks before menopause, even if they are very thin. So I'm taking this very seriously.  I'll give the met a try again once I've adapted to lower carb. Not very hopeful about that though.  One of those promethease results said I wouldn't respond positively to that medication.

Don't eat corn, peas or winter squash.  Crookneck & zucchini are fine.  Bloodsugar101.com has really good info.  A lot of doctors are not well informed on diabetes diets they tell you what to eat based on the theory you are taking the meds or insulin.  I have found I have to do all my own research drs were pretty useless.

• Like 6

Have you read any of Bary Grove's books? 

No, never heard of him.  Can you give me a summary?

Don't eat corn, peas or winter squash.  Crookneck & zucchini are fine.  Bloodsugar101.com has really good info.  A lot of doctors are not well informed on diabetes diets they tell you what to eat based on the theory you are taking the meds or insulin.  I have found I have to do all my own research drs were pretty useless.

Yeah, I agree.  And even if I do need the medicine, I'd prefer to manage as much as possible with diet.  I'll check the website, thanks.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

Great info here.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Dr. Bernstein seems to be the LC expert on diabetes.

Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars https://www.amazon.com/dp/0316167169/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_xhL-ub03QE6M3

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0316167169/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_xhL-ub03QE6M3

I know he's been on several Jimmy Moore podcasts so you could get some of his information there.

• Like 1