Menu

Good, but inexpensive HS Ancient History textbook

I have SWB History of the Ancient world.  If you google on the high school board you'll also find additional resouces.  If you can pick up the Study and Teaching guide.  Then you have history covered and frankly more essay topics then you could ever need for essay writing for english also.

• Like 1

I'd like a textbook that might be at or close to college level reading. This is where my kids are for comprehension. I've found SWB too far below their reading level and if I recall, Human Odyssey may be as well.

Sorry I didn't clarify this earlier.

I'd like a textbook that might be at or close to college level reading. This is where my kids are for comprehension. I've found SWB too far below their reading level and if I recall, Human Odyssey may be as well.

This is the book to which the poster referred.  It has something like 800 pages of tiny print; it should be a suitable reading level for even the most advanced high schooler.

• Like 7

This is the book to which the poster referred.  It has something like 800 pages of tiny print; it should be a suitable reading level for even the most advanced high schooler.

Plansrme is correct.  This is also a Study and Teaching Guide to go with it. 

I also bought the downloaded maps to go with it, so my son can use the maps to build his History binder.  It will contain his essays, maps, questions, notebooking outlines, any newspaper articles relating to the era he is studying all in one place.

• Like 1

The Ways of the World book by Strayer is excellent. A good used copy will run you about $16 or so. You will only have a couple of hundred pages for ancient history, but the documents sections are excellent practice for your students.  If you are reading a considerable amount of ancient literature as well as parts of Herodotus, Siam Qian, or Livy for histories, you won't need a massive textbook.  I would leave space for your student to do other reading, for example, something like The Buried Book. Take some time to read Sun Tzu's The Art of War. It's a short read and my son was amazed to discover that it is read worldwide today in many graduate business courses.

Both books offer an insight into history and a relevance for today.

• Like 1

I think you are confusing her elementary SOTW books with the high school books like History of the Ancient World. They have a much higher reading level.

• Like 3

The Ways of the World book by Strayer is excellent. A good used copy will run you about $16 or so. You will only have a couple of hundred pages for ancient history, but the documents sections are excellent practice for your students.  If you are reading a considerable amount of ancient literature as well as parts of Herodotus, Siam Quin, or Livy for histories, you won't need a massive textbook.  I would leave space for your student to do other reading, for example, something like The Buried Book. Take some time to read Sun Tzu's The Art of War. It's a short read and my son was amazed to discover that it is read worldwide today in many graduate business courses.

Both books offer an insight into history and a relevance for today.

I got this book on Lisa's suggestion.  It's fantastic and for an older edition, very cheap.

I think you are confusing her elementary SOTW books with the high school books like History of the Ancient World. They have a much higher reading level.

I looked at this one.

It doesn't say what level it is. Is it high school? If so, I still find the reading level too low, a lack of difficult vocabulary, and some issues with the writing. I do like the maps, though.

FWIW, I was recently advised to include copies of the table of contents of all the textbooks we use when my kids apply to college. For this reason, I'm now considering college level texts.

I looked at this one.

It doesn't say what level it is. Is it high school? If so, I still find the reading level too low, a lack of difficult vocabulary, and some issues with the writing. I do like the maps, though.

FWIW, I was recently advised to include copies of the table of contents of all the textbooks we use when my kids apply to college. For this reason, I'm now considering college level texts.

It is a college level text. I have seen a syllabus shared here where it was being used by a college. It is written for adults and the study guide is designed to bring it down to a high school level. So it is definitely not too low a level for high school.

• Like 3

We have used Western Heritage by Kagan and Ozmet as a history text. Kagan also co-wrote a world history text.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0136002773/ref=mp_s_a_1_20?qid=1425496397&sr=1-20&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=Donald+.+Kagan&dpPl=1&dpID=514JusDc24L&ref=plSrch

Kagan isn't as widely used as Spielvogel, but my kids liked it better. It tends to discuss the trend first (Renaissance or industrialization for example) then describe country specific details. They felt that Spielvogel started with each country then drew things together. I mainly have experience with the western civ texts by Kagan and Spielvogel. But I have found both useful enough that I would look at them for world history too.

I'd ask at the school itself. Only one (of several) in our area wants more from homeschoolers than the standard course description, and that one is only concerned with science. They probably wouldn't even bother to look at the TOCs otherwise.

FWIW, my DS using Spielvogel's Human Odyssey is reading Chaucer, Dante, Shakespeare, and such this year. His Great Books literature covers challenging reading and difficult vocabulary much more thoroughly than any history text could. My objective for his history course is to give him a thorough coverage of history. HO and the GC lectures accomplish that.

Western Civilization by the same author is college level.

Agreeing wholeheartedly with SilverMoon here. My oldest two are exceedingly competent readers (perfect scores on the critical reading portions of both the ACT and the SAT) and learned a TON from SWB's "History of..." books, because the objective was learning history, not being challenged by the reading level. I expected intelligent conversation regarding the reading, and thorough, intelligent writing about the reading, but I didn't require the reading be complicated in and of itself. That is what literature is for.

Also, only one of the six colleges my son applied to this year required course descriptions and they asked that they be "brief." So we have never needed the TOC for any school.

• Like 2