Menu

How are everyone's college students doing?...

Mine seems to be settling in ok. He likes his classes and his roommate. He survived orientation and made friends. I am vastly, vastly relieved. I half wondered if he'd be back home by now. And I miss him, but he's still calling me every day, so it doesn't feel different from when he was at home and I never saw him but heard from him every day. The intense packing togetherness has worn off by now. Time for me to focus on the other children, though. We've been pretty wrapped up in the oldest.

-Nan

Mine seemed much brighter yesterday on the phone than he had just a few days before. He has yet to call us, so I call him because I can't stand the suspense. He is more of an email person, though. I have gotten a few of those.

I am not concerned about his ability to DO the work, rather I fret about his organizational skills. He forgot (lost track of time) on Wednesday and missed his first physics lab. Luckily he emailed me that night and I shot back to CONTACT his lab proctor immediately. Well, he did and made up the lab on Friday. Phew! I knew this would happen sooner or later, as he is THE absent-minded professor reincarnate, lol, but I didn't expect it the first week! At least he is admitting his mistakes and taking responsibility for them (something he has just recently started to do more readily).

Deb,

I hear you! :iagree: I too am concerned about ds1's ability to organize himself. That is GREAT that your son contacted the prof and managed to do a makeup for the lab. Hopefully that scared him a bit and he will never do it again! :)

Ds1 is barely surviving orientation....he enjoyed the hike despite the rain, but he is absolutely hating all the orientation games and get-to-know-you activities on campus. He is REALLY looking forward to classes starting on Thursday.

He does have some good news though -- in the two subjects where he needed to do placement exams he ended up where he hoped he would. I haven't heard about his registartion results (he registered about 30 minutes ago) but he was upbeat that he won't have to do any "repeat" classes.

And I am just rejoicing that he actually has called a few times! :D (Though he doesn't have it all together -- his first contact after the hike was via skype -- he needed to know the unlock code for his new cell phone!)

My sophomore dd1 is so happy to be back on campus that she is practically purring over the phone!

My situation is different than all the rest of you (probably) because my dd is in the dorm but she is only 2 miles from here.

She likes her roommate, had a wonderful time through orientation weekend and has settled in to much homework. She is greatly organized, though, so I'm not worried.

She'll likely be home every weekend and she calls at least once a day. The campus pretty much clears out over the weekends so her coming home each weekend is not unusual.

She says that the dining hall food is *not* good --- really fatty and starchy. I try to feed her well and healthy when she's here on the weekends.

She's greatly excited about the anatomy class that includes cadaver dissection. :tongue_smilie:

My sophomore is doing well. She's been on campus for almost two weeks as a member of the orientation team and peer advisor for a group of freshmen. However, yesterday was the first actual day of class.

She's happy with her course selections and her (characteristically heavy) schedule. She's especially excited about her American Government course, which should be lots of fun to take during an election season.

She had to re-audition for the a capella group she sang with last year. (Everyone re-auditions every year.) She went in yesterday and didn't feel she had done all that well, but managed to make the next cut. There's one more hoop to jump through today, the "blend" audition. So, she should know by tomorrow whether she'll be in or not.

She's also busy trying to corner her advisor and get signed the forms she needs to turn in to declare her major and minor. Once she does that and is officially minoring in vocal performance, she can go sign up for individual voice lessons.

She's rooming again with the same girl from last year, who has become a good friend. And there are several girls in the new freshman class whom she likes very much.

So, all in all, it sounds like things are going well for her. Now we just have to see whether she gets back into the singing group and how she handles it if she doesn't.

She and her roommate get along fabulously. Dd said it was like they were sisters. They both have the same moral code so that will help. My Dd was asked to a frat party last weekend but said no. She said the boy was asking all the girls and it was clear what he had in his head. She did go to a party at her roommate's sisters house. Her sister is 22 and had invited some of her friends. There were a few kids my dd age including her roomate. My dd said while they most of the guest "partied" in the garage (and yes they had beer) my dd and several others chose to sit at the kitchen table and just talk. I'm so proud of her choices but surprised they came so fast. She loves her classes particularly her Japanese class and her dance classes have her appetite back up where she used to it.

My dd is back for her sophomore year. We took her back on the 24th, so she's got a week of classes in already. Only music classes on her schedule this semester! Probably next semester also because this is the year for music history. She's glad to be back to her lesson with her violin prof. Haven't really gotten too much out of her on her other classes.

She and her roommate from last year are rooming together again in the music dorm, so taking her back didn't feel much different than all of our visits last year. I went down on Saturday to drop off her bicycle & we went out to lunch. I expect to be back down in a couple of weeks for 2 concerts- I'm really glad now that she's only 90 minutes away!

At the moment, she has a "someone" she's spending hours of time with on the phone. I really hope that doesn't put a crimp into her study and practice schedule!

My ds completed a week of classes, loves school and is getting along well with his 6 suitemates. He actually came home this weekend, not to see us but to surf because we were getting amazing waves here (epic in surfer talk) and brought a friend home whom we all really liked. His college is a 10 minute walk from the beach and while I feel confident in his organizational ability and his ability to do college work (he took 12 college credits last semester) my dh and I told him this week that surfing is not his college major :lol:. We are not at all worried about him making friends or having fun but a little concerned that he may have too much fun.

My ds is commuting too. Hit a curb and blew out a tire the night before the first day of class so mommy (me) had to drive him the 1st 4 days... Threatened to yell sweet things out the window....

My Ds is commuting so he hasn't had to adjust to dorm life. He had a good, but hectic first week which included his truck breaking down and a a car accident in another vehicle, but he is doing well and likes his classes so far.

I have a college -age son, although he was not homeschooled. He started his second year and is settling in well. He's 8 hours away, so won't be home until T'giving, most likely. We are planning to visit for Parent's Weekend in Oct. He was very happy and chatty while we were packing him up. He called yesterday and sound excited about everything. Currently, he is a history/government major, but is also a musician and plays in a jazz band at school.

At the parents of freshman orientation, the Dean of Students at W&L had an interesting observation. He said that over the years he has tracked what are the common characteristics of the ~10% of the freshman class who are "in trouble" at mid-term grade time during the first semester of freshman year. His conclusion -- 92% of the students who had problems with grades did not use a dayplanner or other time-organizer.

(Of course, to do this experiment correctly he would need to find out the % of students who do well and do not have planners, but this is a minor detail.....)

So we are right to worry about our students' ability to organize!

(My ds1 is freaking me out in this respect -- he is using his iPod as a dayitmer. I like pencil and paper, and I have serious misgivings about this.....I prefer my dd1's method -- a nice paper dayplanner and a pencil!)

(My ds1 is freaking me out in this respect -- he is using his iPod as a dayitmer. I like pencil and paper, and I have serious misgivings about this.....I prefer my dd1's method -- a nice paper dayplanner and a pencil!)

I wondered if I was being horridly old fashioned when I had my son choose a paper notebook dayplanner before he began his CC courses. Fortunately he bought into it and immediately recorded test dates, etc. Electronic devises are fine--if you remember to back them up!

Jane

My dd seems to be settling in well at Hillsdale. While she enjoyed all the freshman activities during orientation, she is glad that classes have begun in earnest and that she doesn't have to be quite so social. She really wants to make some friends, but is an introvert and prefers quite a bit of quiet time.

Her roommate is terrific and they seem to get along well so far. As her dorm room is way in the back of the hall and around the corner, she doesn't get much traffic there which is good and bad; good that she can rest, concentrate and study / bad that she doesn't have more people to interact with.

She loves her classes and is trying to get organized, which is a serious challenge for her. By taking the initiative (which she usually doesn't do) she was able to land a coveted job at the library and is in training there. She loves it! However........she was eating supper one night and remembered she was supposed to be at work. AARRGG! I guess she just took two bites, threw it away and ran to the library. Was only 5 mins late and as it's just training, it was 'ok'. But still.........:confused: It's ONly the first week.

Friday night there is a Swing Club (dance) in one of the dorms and she loves that. Several of the girls are getting together this week to practice what they learned (dd is happy to be included in a 'group') and she plans to make this her regular Friday night activity. She loves to dance!

Hmmm, that is all I can remember right off the bat. What a fun thread! I've really been enjoying reading about all the other homeschoolers settling in at college.

Opps! Forgot to add: The orchestra director was so excited to have a harpist that he picked a song with a featured harp part. Sounds nice, but dd is freaking out and says it's a really hard part. She is already practicing like crazy.

My husband uses a notebook sized planner/calendar at work. He also uses outlook so he can sync all the various meetings, etc., and the calendar in his cell phone for reminders, but he still uses the paper calendar. He says that at the end of meetings, when people are setting up the next meeting, people all pull out their electronic devices and start going through the rather lengthy process of figuring out when they are available, he gets out his planner and opens it out flat on the table and everyone abandons their electronics and crowds around his book, pointing and talking until they figure out a date that will work. Then he marks it down and leaves while they are all still futzing with their electronics. He, of course, has to transfer his calendar into electronics later, but he can do it at his leisure, and meanwhile, there has been a calendar availble that was big enough for everyone to see at once GRIN. So far, our CC and my oldest's college have given everyone free planners at the beginning of the year. It seems like money well-spent to me. At least the colleges are trying.

-Nan

DD is on her 3rd week of classes and loving it. She's a 21 yo freshman so is different in that respect- she isn't struggling much with organizing herself- it's the lack of sleep she's mentioned most! She is 17hrs away from home so we won't see her till Christmas but her g'ma and my 17 yo will visit her this weekend. She's heard several slams against homeschoolers (from other students) but has pulled all A+ on all her papers so far. Her english comp prof told her she didn't need the class or the next one (though they are req'd) and apologized to her for the lack of a test out option, letting her know that she had an auto "A" for the next 2 semesters and was free to ramp up the assignments to make them more interesting. 3 cheers for IEW :001_smile:. She is still looking for a p.t. job.

that is happy as can be. I have told her to consult with the RA and RD at this point since I refuse to let a brat wreck dd's college-start.

She is walking the campus as if she was born there so defintiely no social concerns. Her weak spot is organization so she is really staying on top of that, first of all. She loves it and only emails once every few days! She'll get a phone this week so we'll probably hear her voice more frequently then.

I think she'll be home this weekend. Her younger siblings miss her (as do we) and she'll get a break from having to wear her hijaab most of the time.

I wondered, when you mentioned black. Not that I'm against black in general. It does sometimes seem to represent a rather dark outlook on life, though. Does Wellsley do roommate matching or just randomly put people together? I wish mine could come home this weekend. Suddenly, today, I'm missing him a bunch. Maybe because his fish died and I had to tell him.

-Nan

Ak! Server was busy and ate up my post!

I wondered about that when you mentioned black. Not that I have anything against black, but it does sometimes represent a rather dark outlook on life. Does Wellsley do roommate matching or do they just stick people together randomly? My grandmother went to Wellsley, and when she was 70, she and her roommate, whom she hadn't seen since they left college, decided to go to Europe together!!! She said they went right back to the same relationship they'd had 50 years ago.

I wish my son could come home this weekend. Suddenly today I'm missing him a bunch. Maybe because I had to tell him that his fish had died.

-Nan

Does Wellsley do roommate matching or do they just stick people together randomly?

Well, what they do is they consciously match students up together to try and find a fit while simultaneously encourage diversity. Laila is at a floor and even building with a lot of other Muslims (which is good since they can break their fast in Ramadan together etc.), but was declined a Muslim roommate. Of course, if things do not work out at all they'll accomodate you, but they do want everyone to try and get along.

Honestly, then this roommate seems to just want partying and might be a queen-bee who did not expect to get an independent, socially settled roomie. I have bumped ito her a couple of times and her face is strained from lack of sleep. It seems she is just letting her steam off at my daughter!!!! My daughter gets along with everyone, though, which is obvious so I am not worried about the administration thinking it is her fault things have taken an ugly turn!

Good thing she gets along well enough not to be blamed for the upsets.

Wellsley's approach sounds like an ok compromise, as long as you don't get the one bad apple on the tree. I had a Jewish roommate. She was a sweetheart and we learned tons from one another. Somehow, we both defined our own beliefs and cultures by comparing them (pretty similar, but with a few important differences), while gaining respect for each other at the same time. I guess Wellsley is aiming for that ideal. It requires that both roommates be good people to start with, though. It doesn't sound like your daughter's is going to help her to grow anything but disgusted and distant. I hope she manages to switch.

I guess the server didn't eat my first post, after all. Sorry for doubling up.

-Nan

Just heard from ds1. He has an 8am class tomorrow -- and this is the child who was so good at oversleeping his alarm that we always said we would not pay his tuition if he took an 8am class. Well, we're not paying his tuition......

Apparently he was receiving so many party invitations that he put a sign on his door saying "no party invitation".....and that got LOTS of comments. He has only found one other freshman who is definitely not going Greek.....

My kids keep on bumping into each other -- not surprising on a small campus, but it's funny for me to hear my kids talking about seeing each other when they are 190 miles from home!

She "bought her off" with a cinnabon sweet and a bottle of water , as she put it. She said things are fine now after she ignored the gal back for a few days and then acted normal and offered this to her.... This gal is from NYC so I guess her raw treatment is a bit more of the norm there.

Dd just told me that last night there was an initiation sort of thing right on front of their room at 1PM, very loud and obnoxious to the people sleeping. Her roommate lost her temper and cussed at everyone in the hallway, to no avail. Dd opened the door and requested everyone to kindly go to sleep and be quiet. And you know, they did!!! They were much more receptive to the nice request than to the creaming cussing!!!! SO that brought her extra points from this roomie!!!!!!! (Thank God since I had several different scenerios planned (incl. personally intimidating the girl verbally to behave before further official consequences)!!!!! Hen-mother me.)

Of course, if things do not work out at all they'll accomodate you, but they do want everyone to try and get along.

My daughter had a rough time with her first roommate last year, too. On the surface, it seemed like they should have been a reasonably good match, but I knew we were in trouble when my daughter was unpacking the single box of books she had chosen to take with her and the roommate said, "Wow, you brought a lot of books!"

I also just got very weird vibes from the parents, whom I met during orientation.

Within just the first couple of weeks, the roommate had gotten in trouble for breaking curfew and just generally being a problem. My daughter also told me rather diplomatically that the girl had "anger issues."

A few weeks into the semester, the roommate and a friend of hers who was rooming with someone else on another floor started agitating for a room and roommate switch. I counseled my daughter against it, because I just didn't think she needed the upheaval and stress of moving. All four of the girls involved met with the dorm staff, though, and got the move approved.

And, as it turned out, it was wonderful for my daughter. She and the second roommate got along great. They chose to room together again this year and have become good friends, as well as roommates. In fact, they were chosen to be interviewed and photographed and may be featured in the program's new recruitment materials.

Meanwhile, the first roommate got her replacement roommate kicked off campus, claiming the girl beat her up. She nearly flunked out. In fact, her mother ended up coming to town and staying in an off-campus hotel for three weeks to try and force her to study and bring up her grades. Apparently, none of it worked. She did not return this fall.

I really worried about how my daughter would do with a roommate, but I think it's been a great experience. Well, once she got away from the crazy girl!

Whoa, Jenny. Glad this worked out for your dd. I suspect this girl will behave better. At least from my point of view I now know all the steps I can take. I am glad to know dd used her own tactics and diplomatic skills (I am much fiercer than her and can get pretty upset....).

It is indeed amazing the friendships you can form during college -as your dd realised as well.

How exciting! What dorm is she in? Dd was in Olds her first year--not a great choice as it didn't get enough sun. Holleman will keep her busy in orchestra! My dd LOVED Swing CLub!

LOL! My dd is in Olds as well. She was actually supposed to be in another one (Mauck?) but one of the gals from her study-abroad trip told her that Olds was the most friendly, social dorm to pick, so dd requested a change. DD needs to learn to socialize and make friends. Not that that would be her first choice, but she knows she needs it. So....Olds it is!

And the orchestra piece was not only freaking out my dd; the rest of the kids were having problems with it as well, especially the violins, so it has been moved to the spring performance so that all will have more time to practice it, and a new piece has been picked for the fall performance. Dd likes it a lot better; says it's still really nice but the harp part is at least manageable. :001_smile:

I posted in the "French in Action" thread about dd's placement test for French at Hillsdale. She is really enjoying her French classes, but finds the history professor frightening. Actually, she is enjoying all her classes so far, feeling totally overwhelmed with homework, and enjoying being on her own.

I was able to get to Norman and see my son today despite the football traffic! He seems to be settling in very well. His dorm-wing-mates seem to be developing into a nice group of friends. They play games together, eat together, and seem to get along well. I'm so glad he's in the Honors Dorms because the kids there are academically challenging to him and are serious about their studies. He is attending various functions (on campus Bible studies, etc.) by himself and meeting new people.

I'm relieved that he isn't just sitting in his dorm room or the library but is actively trying to meet people and make friends. I can sleep well tonight :-)

Ds is the ONLY freshman in ANY of his classes -- seriously weird!

The lack of freshman is a reflection of the weird courses he is taking rather than a reflection of how brilliant he is! :) His Greek class conflicted with the freshman-only claculus 3, so he is the only freshman in the non-freshman calculus 3. He is in a 200-level Greek class, and not surprisingly he is the only freshman in that. He is in an advanced microecon as the only freshman. And for some weird reason he is the only freshman taking "Intro to Classical Music". Huh? So his classes will certainly NOT help him meet other members of the class of '12.

So ds1 is taking classes with several of dd1's friends.....weird. At least he likes the classes.

Dd1 is DROWNING in work -- after only two days of classes. She is quite nervous about how she will survive the rest of the semester. (She has never taken a studio art class ANYWHERE -- and has never even had drawing lessons -- and she is taking a design class that requires hours of drawing each week. She's scared!)

I was afraid that would happen, too GRIN. The relief is enormous, isn't it? My son and his roommate are ordering a French press online because they are sick of not having good coffee. That doesn't sound at all like my son, who has been drinking bad maintenance office coffee for a few years now, so I'm taking it as a sign of friendship that is working. I'm sure my son would like to have good coffee; I just am surprised he's willing to go to any bother for it.

-Nan

The amount of time art takes is indeed scary. My middle one just decided to drop his art class at CC because he was afraid it would take up too much time now that he has a longer commute for gymnastics (his coach switched gyms). This is his last year of gymnastics but he'll have lots of years to do art, so it seemed like a reasonable decision. Actually, I don't think it was the time he was worried about, but the amount of energy. Art takes lots of energy. Or perhaps she'll find having a change from traditional academics nice and that the time she has to put into it makes a nice escape. The trick to those classes, I think, is to resign yourself to doing not-your-life's-best creative work for them. Use them to learn the principles they are trying to teach you and tell yourself you have a whole lifetime of creativity during which to use them, time later when you have more time and energy. Balancing your other classes with art means you have to stop short at doing your best, sometimes. I suppose you could say that of any class, but it seems to be particularly hard to do in studio art classes LOL, at least as far as I could see, because it is easy to fall in love with the things you are creating and want them to be their best. Just producing a drawing, especially a drafting-style one, even when it isn't your absolute best, takes lots of time. Sure is fun, though GRIN. My oldest is taking a graphics class and he's really excited about it because the second semester involves going to the machine shop and making the things they've designed and drawn. He's doing the design work both by hand and with a computer design program. I super happy he's excited about a class.

That is very odd, that no freshman are taking the intro music class! What a weird schedule!

-Nan