Menu

My 2.5-year-old knows letters... Now what?

Guest ksbohler

Guest ksbohler

My 2.5 yo has learned all the letters, uppercase and lower case, mostly by diffusion as I work with my 4.5 yo on reading. My older one didn't learn them until about 3.5, and at that point I started working through Teach Your Child to Read and some Bob Books. I definitely don't think my 2yo is ready for that, but I want to keep her excited about phonics. Any suggestions for what to do during the next year or so before we start Bob Books/learning to really read?

AAR Pre-Level 1 is great.  It works on rhyming and some other pre-reading skills.  The letter identification stuff will be review, but it will be fun for her. 

ALSO According to the I See Sam book people, as soon as your child can talk in complete sentences they are ready to learn to read using their books too.   I've never taught a child that young to read, but they say it is possible.   This page has some information on getting started with I See Sam.  http://www.3rsplus.com/reading_free_resources.htm

Yes, AAR pre-level looks good, but I haven't used it personally.  I would probably just continue on with teaching the sounds of the letters until she knows them like the back of her hand.  Does she already know their sounds, not just the names of the letters?  If not, you could just do a simple letter of the week with her for free.  I did that with my older two when they were 3.  I made a folder of simple activities for each letter and we had lots of fun painting and doing letter related crafts.  The more fluent she is with their sounds, the easier it will be to learn blending later.

The Leapfrog DVD's are great.  Developing the Early Learner workbooks are also good for pre-reading skills, but she might not have the fine motor skills for that yet (although they do start out super simple).

OPGTR in the early stages is great for working with letters. You could do the first 26 lessons repeatedly until they have them down, or do them super slowly.

I began OPGTR when my dc were young and just used the chalkboard and letter tiles for a long time. If you choose to start it, I would keep the book itself out of sight until much later!

But if you already have 100 Easy Lessons, you don't need OPGTR just for teaching the letter sounds.  You can easily do that yourself without a book.  

Let her continue to learn by diffusion unless she is begging for more. My second refused to let me do anything school for her sister without her inclusion. She started reading to me just before she turned five. I knew I needed a different plan for her when she looked at her worksheet very early in her official homeschooling and read the directions flawlessly, "Underline the words with the short sound of u." She didn't need individualized instruction to learn to read. On the other hand, it is also quite common for a child to know individual letter sounds for years before blending makes sense to them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My eldest learned his letters and their sounds really early on (2 years old), but it took him years (around the age of 4.5) before he was able to blend them together. I would recommend around the age of 3 or 3.5 to try Plaid Phonics kindergarten workbook. (We used a set of alphabet stamps when ever writing was necessary)

• 3 weeks later...

I'd let her play with one of those leap frog letter magnet sets for learning letter sounds. Read lots of abc books, including ones that use alliteration. I second, or third, AAR pre level but I'd hold off a bit. Even though it's fun and easy, level 1 quickly steps up the pace, so I wouldn't want to get too far ahead.

• 4 weeks later...