Menu

Thinking about a trip to Williamsburg VA

I'm thinking about taking my two kids on a road trip to Virginia this late April, specifically Williamsburg but am open to suggestions of stops along the way. Obviously we would be visiting the historic sites but I have never been anywhere near this area and am looking for tips and suggestions on what we should not miss while here.

My kids are 7 and 8 and we have been studying some early American history so I feel like we could get a lot out of this trip. We also have never been on a vacation, and probably won't be able to again right off, so I want to make sure we get the most of it and the kids have a blast! We won't have a huge budget so if anyone has moderately priced lodging they would recommend that would be a help too :)

Thanks!

IMO, Jamestown is SO much more fun than Colonial Williamsburg for that age. Williamsburg is fine, but there's a lot of discussion of period furnishings, colonial politics, the exact composition of various garments & shoes...etc. Jamestown has ships, a fort, a working blacksmith's forge, a swordmaster, an Indian village with longhouses, and livestock running around. I highly recommend it. (Plus, you can take the ferry over to the state park across the river and feed the seagulls.)

SWB

I'm also thinking of circling around and visiting Chincoteague, anyone been there? I know they bring the ponies over in July and that must be neat but is it worth the drive over other times of the year?

We adored Chincoteague and avoided the pony swim, because we did not want crowds and traffic. There is a lot to do for little kids -- nature hikes, cycling, pony show, pony rides, mini golf, crabbing, boat tour of the bay, ice cream places. Also a lighthouse if they/you are up to a climb. Oh, and beach, of course.

NASA facility nearby on the mainland.

The Assateague National Seashore is long and extends north from Chintoteague into Maryland. The Maryland end has a campground which I hear is nice.

I agree with this; my kids love Jamestown and i's not to be missed, but they are lukewarm on WIlliamsburg.   

IMO, Jamestown is SO much more fun than Colonial Williamsburg for that age. Williamsburg is fine, but there's a lot of discussion of period furnishings, colonial politics, the exact composition of various garments & shoes...etc. Jamestown has ships, a fort, a working blacksmith's forge, a swordmaster, an Indian village with longhouses, and livestock running around. I highly recommend it. (Plus, you can take the ferry over to the state park across the river and feed the seagulls.)

SWB

Awesome!  We have spent every Memorial Day and every Labor Day in Chincoteague since our kids were very little.  I would absolutely avoid the place on Pony Penning weekend, though, because it just loses all the charming little quiet things we like about it.  If you can avoid Pony Penning weekend, it's a charming little place and you can completely lose yourself on Assateague hiking, biking, exploring, and playing on the beach.  

Also, if you are crossing over the water from the Williamsburg area, stop off in Norfolk and see the battleship Wisconsin for a bit more American history.  DH was assigned to that ship for his first tour in the Navy and then it got slated for decommissioning, so he had his orders changed.  We tour there and the associated museum, Nauticus, a lot.  Nauticus has terrific summer science programs for kids in the summer.  

I'm also thinking of circling around and visiting Chincoteague, anyone been there? I know they bring the ponies over in July and that must be neat but is it worth the drive over other times of the year?

We were considering making a trip to Colonial Williamsburg with our two daughters (8 and 10) in September to participate in Fall Homeschool Days.  For those who have visited during Fall Homeschool Days, do the activities during this time make a visit to Colonial Williamsburg more interesting and fun for kids?

We were considering making a trip to Colonial Williamsburg with our two daughters (8 and 10) in September to participate in Fall Homeschool Days.  For those who have visited during Fall Homeschool Days, do the activities during this time make a visit to Colonial Williamsburg more interesting and fun for kids?

Yes, they do. LOTS more hands on classes for kids. One year my niece and nephew got to make bricks and my DS "enlisted" in the militia. WAY cooler (and cheaper!) during HS Days. AND, Jamestown and Yorktown have HS days at the same time.

PLUS- Great Wolf Lodge runs a special and you can get *any* room for $135 (plus taxes) a night.

It's one of my favorite vacation spots and times.

We went to Williamsburg when my kids were 11 and 9 and they both loved it. My DD brought a colonial dress and walked through the city "in charachter" with her American Girl doll dressed to match. DS spent time learning about the jail, being enlisted in the military camp, checking out weapons, etc. There was plenty to keep their interest.

We love Williamsburg. :-) We start at the Visitors' Center and watch the movie, and buy a pass. Then we go to the Historic District and just...hang out all day (or two. You need at least two days.). We casually stroll from place to place, hanging out and watching whatever any of us wants to watch, as long as any of us wants to watch, and then we stroll on. We *love* Bruton Parrish Church. And we finally figured out that you need to buy the extra ticket for the Governor's Mansion.

We also have one meal at the Old Chickahominy House, which is just outside the Historic District. They only serve breakfast and lunch--we usually do breakfast.

They do.  We did the homeschool days this past fall.  

That said, we still didn't love it.  I just feel like they could do so much better with it... but they don't.  :/  

However, we did it and I'm not regretting that we did it because, well, everyone needs to do Colonial Williamsburg once as a kid!  (When you live as close as we do, anyway!)

(Oh, and our tour guide at the Governor's Mansion was SOOOOOOOO long winded!!  Omg... he just dragged on and on and on...)

That's a tough one!  We enjoyed Williamsburg a LOT.  We rented costumes for our girls and they had a ton of special interactive experiences because they were dressed up!  I blogged about our day HERE.  They give you a fun scavenger hunt to do while you are there and they earned a pin before the day was through.

We also went to Jamestown Settlement and Historic Jamestown and it was really neat!  I blogged about that adventure HERE!  At the National Parks they can earn their Jr Ranger badge which is really fun!

I'm jealous!  I would love to go back!  We learned a ton!

Thanks for all the help! My next question would be if you lived 11 hours away would you spend the money and time to make the trip? Is it that cool? Also what is the weather like at that time in Virginia? It's still going to be winter where we live and I'd be so much more inclined to drive 11 hours with two kids if it meant I was driving towards a real springtime! :)

If your family is into history, then I think it is worth the trip.  If you add in a trip to Chincoteague, Virginia Beach/Norfolk, then it's a really nice vacay!

Spring here is beautiful!  April is just the right time before blistering humidity sets in.  Really, April and May are the best months in this area, IMO.  You will need a light shirt and light pants (chinos); you shouldn't need a sweater, unless the weather turns unusually cold.  Late-May is definitely shorts weather and can be humid occasionally.  IMO, March is still cold, but I am a wuss when it comes to cold weather.

Thanks for all the help! My next question would be if you lived 11 hours away would you spend the money and time to make the trip? Is it that cool? Also what is the weather like at that time in Virginia? It's still going to be winter where we live and I'd be so much more inclined to drive 11 hours with two kids if it meant I was driving towards a real springtime! :)

Well this morning it's  -26 here so after the winter we have had anything in the 40s or above- I'll be probably be wearing shorts! :) And yes, we do like history and I think this would really make what we have been learning seem more real to the kids, plus I've never been and am really interested to check it out! I have been to Gettysburg when I was 11 and then 16 and both times found it really fun and interesting so I'd imagine this would be similar for me.