Menu

Is there a website to teach reading that is not like edutainment?

stm4him

The recommended ones I looked at will drive me nuts if I have to participate in helping her at all.  Anything systematic but not cartoonish?  I know of a software that would work but it is expensive and we mostly use chromebooks right now so I don't want to have to get another computer right now.....

Lexia might be too cartoony for you, but they do have an older kid version that is essentially the same content without the cartoons.  The homeschool version is billed as Rosetta Stone Reading.  In the public school version, I think the non cartoony is called strategies for older readers.

I am looking at ARC software from Alpha Omega too.  But I will need a computer that can do software for that and for Ultimate Phonics so I will have to wait until we get one.  Right now we have only chromebooks and ipads besides my husband's computer that is a Mac desktop.  

So you want something that will teach for you, like a traditional phonics program--but it's hands off for you?

I was going to suggest looking for a traditional book, like 100 EZ Lessons, but in ebook format. But you need to do the teaching.

funnix... it's 100EZ on the computer

• Like 1

Ok, I was totally confused.  ARC is NOT a software program.  It is just done with a cd player!  And it is meant for kids who are already reading.  This may be good for my eight year old and maybe even my 13 year old but not my 6 year old yet.  It is quite expensive, though ($300) and doesn't look reusable so I don't know that I'll want to invest that much.......

I will check into the Spencer Learning/Ultimate Phonics when we get a computer that can do software........

I don't see the recommended ages for Explode the Code but it would be at least $120 per year for us for two students and I would have another not far behind bringing the cost up to $180 per year.  I guess that is only 15 per month and less than the cost of some other programs (like Horizons) for three kids.  I'll have to think on that one.  And I need to watch the demos......

Read, Write, Type for the basics. Most of the other programs encourage guessing in some way. They used to have a CD, now I think it is just online but you might be able to find a used CD if they don't sell CDs. My kids were able to use it on their own at 4 or 5.

For children at least 2nd grade, my online lessons teach to a 12th grade level, they do use the Book of Romans. I also have a DVD version. Some 1st graders could tolerate the lessons, but they would need to take a break halfway through each lesson, they are boring and meant for older children and adults, it depends on the temperament of the child if they could sit through it that young. You might need even more breaks for the last 12 lessons if they are over 20 minutes long, there is a lot of info packed into them by that point.

• 1 month later...

We are using the free trial of Reading Eggs right now & I wouldn't consider it edutainment. I have been impressed so far.

I'm the opposite, Reading Eggs made me crazy. Only used it for one day of our free trial. I had forgotten about Explode the Code online, may have to consider that for DD6

We are liking Reading Horizons. It works out to around $15/mo for my two girls. I really needed to step back a little from her instruction as neither of us were being patient enough.

Glad to hear I'm not the only impatient one… My little one has these stalling techniques she pulls out during reading lessons… last week it was a new itch every 5 seconds. Sometimes its multiple bathroom breaks. Today she yawned every 3 or 4 words. Making me crazy!

I don't see the recommended ages for Explode the Code but it would be at least $120 per year for us for two students and I would have another not far behind bringing the cost up to $180 per year. I guess that is only 15 per month and less than the cost of some other programs (like Horizons) for three kids. I'll have to think on that one. And I need to watch the demos......

It loks like you're going from the pric on the ETC website? Through HSBC, it's $35 a student - https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/explode-the-code-online/

• 2 weeks later...