Menu

Do we have to do HS Biology?

Looking ahead for my soon-to-be high schoolers, I dread, dread, dread the idea of doing Biology. We bought a HS Biology text and began working through it last year (when they were in 7th grade) and they were able to do the work and experiments with no difficulty. But we were all bored to death by it.

If I had my druthers, they'd do HS Chemistry in 9th, Physics in 10th, and then go to college for their remaining sciences. But I'm stopped by colleges' recommendations that students take at least three lab-based science courses (which ALWAYS seem to be Biology, Chemistry, Physics.)

Anyone else in a similar boat and can offer advice and/or commiseration.

Also, if we have to do Biology, is there a curriculum in which they can watch videos of lectures and then dh or I do the experiments with them. Neither of us wants to do Biology lectures.

Thinkwell has a biology course. That is all on-line video/lecture.  I have no experience with the biology.  We are currently using the chemistry.  (Heads up they frequently run specials at homeschool buyer's co-op.  We got chemistry for half off.)

You'd have to find something for the lab component. 

I'm kind of in the same boat with biology.  My soon to be high schooler has no interest.  He loves chemistry and doesn't mind physics. I don't yet know what we'll do for biology. 

Y'all are going to hate me...

I just found out that my kids can take colleges classes for less than $20 pch. So I guess my science problem is solved and I'll get them to take Bio at university.

Thanks for your help!

:eek:

So jealous. We'll be paying, oh, 20x that for dd's Arabic next year.

My daughter did the following sciences while in high school.

9th: Physical Science
10th: Chemistry (Lab)
11th: G 101: Earth's Dynamic Interior (Lab)
11th: G 102 Earth's Dynamic Surface (Lab)
11th: G 146: Rocks and Minerals (Lab)
12th: ENVS 181: Terrestrial Science (Lab)

We allowed her to study the sciences that interested her at the community college in 11th and 12th grades (namely Geology and Environmental Science) rather than mandating that she study the more traditional Biology in which she had no interest.

None of the ten colleges to which she applied specifically requested Biology though all did require at least three years of science. She was accepted at eight of those colleges and wait listed by the ninth.  Bear in mind that she went on to major in Latin rather than the hard sciences. (She did minor in Geology.)

Checking the admissions requirements at his colleges of interest is a good idea.

Regards,
Kareni

Well, turns out that it's unlikely they'll be able to take Biology at college next year. They'll be the LAST to register and looking up registration from last fall and this spring, I doubt they'll get into a class. So, it's probably Great Courses or Thinkwell.

Thanks for y'all's help, though!