Menu

Laminate floor cleaner that keeps smudges and footprints from showing?

Alte Veste Academy

Seriously?! I hate these dark wood laminate floors. No matter what I use to clean them, the first steps upon them instantly undo all my hard work. I hate mopping. HATE. HAAAAAAAATE mopping!!!!!! And this does not help. LOL Paw prints, foot prints, shoe prints... Why? Why can the floors not look clean for longer than the time it takes for them to dry?

Anybody have a miracle product? 

I'm sorry, but I can't recommend a miracle product.  We have a small amount of dark laminate here, so I totally understand.  I've learned the hard way that the darker and/or shinier floors or counter tops are, the more they show every little speck and smudge.

I also have dark laminate wide-plank floors, which I love when they are newly cleaned. I have no miracle product advice for you. My brother has medium colored laminate floors. Dust and spots are much less visible on his floor. If I ever have another house, I will definitely have medium-colored floors.

I will try the vinegar and water first because I have it. :) Then the Better Life if I still have issues with these particular floors. I don't understand the drying thing so much, like manually dry them? By the time I am finished, the first part is usually dry, then I use the remainder as an excuse to sit down and be lazy. LOL I can have the kids dry them with a towel if it will really make a difference.

Have you tried Bona?  Sold at Lowe's and Costco.  Prob Home Depot?  It's a "system" that has a dust mop head for picking up fine lint and dust and one for mopping.  They are easily changed out and can be thrown into the washing machine.  Best I've tried; tried to make a vinegar solution and it didn't work, left streaks.  If you like Bona, Costco has the most economical package.  I've used it for about 4 years and it's great.

I have a Rubbermaid spray mop with a washable fabric.

So it dries really fast.

The vinegar and water isn't perfect- but it did work WAY better than any cleaner I used, which all seemed to leave a film on the floor.

As a matter of fact, the first several times I used vinegar and water, the mop was hard to push, like I had to clear the film off the floor.

I'm not sure what our housecleaners use - they bring their own.  I will peek tomorrow to see what it is.  Whatever it is, our floors look the best they've ever looked.

Before these cleaners, we used vinegar and water or glass cleaner.  Those were our best finds.  For all I know, that's what they use now.  I do know that they use a dust mop type thing, and that they dry as they go - which may be the key.

I second Bona, though I don't use their wand tool.  I just spray it on and mop or sponge it off with plain water.  It is the only thing that doesn't leave streaks on my engineered hardwood floor (real wood coated with a plastic laminate-like coating).  Vinegar leaves spots.  Any other cleaner leaves a film.  Bona shines beautifully.  As does plain water.

I know no solution for dust and little bits showing on the dark wood.  I had black laminate countertops in a previous house, and I HATED them!

• 9 years later...