Menu

Help me chose a book to read for Lent

Kim in Appalachia

Right now I'm looking at two books, but I'm open to suggestions.

I'm looking at Wondrous Encounter: Scripture for Lent, by Richard Rohr or The Imitation of Christ

For a bit of background of where I'm at.  I was raised RC, but we've attended protestant churches since we got married.  I had a preference for Presbyterian, but there are none in our area. We are currently attending an Episcopal church, which I would love a lot if it weren't an hour from here.  Spiritually I'm burned out, from all the church hopping (none by choice).  I still have a deep respect for the RC church.  Richard Rohr was mentioned at church this past Sunday, which is how I found his book.

I want to read something that is spirtually nourishing.

Thanks for any help. 

It's so nice to see that someone else does this!  I always try to pick a book to read devotionally for Lent.

Here are a few of the best ones I recall.  

"Girl Meets God" which is a memoir by a woman with a partly Jewish heritage who becomes Episcopalian.  She writes very eloquently about her devotional life, and also about the church year.  This book is exquisite.

A big coffee table book of Renaissance art--I would figure out the symbolism in the religious art and meditate on it and look up the Bible passages that supported it.  I tend to be much more of a reader than a visual person, so this was really good for me.

Luther's Large Catechism--This elucidates the 10 commandments, the Apostles' Creed, Baptism, Confession/Absolution, and the Lord's Supper in longish, very careful essays.  It is beautifully written, and one great fringe benefit was that I studied the portion on the Eucharist during Holy Week--very meaningful.  There is a readers' edition of the Lutheran confessions from CPH that has helpful background notes and a relatively easy translation.

"Business By the Book" talks about applying God's Word to a sole proprietorship or partnership, but it is helpful in considering any vocation.  

"Perelandra" and "That Hideous Strength" by C. S. Lewis are stunning books, fiction, but very reflective of the Christian life as it should be and of God in all of His glory. 

I'm not sure if you would find these "spiritually nourishing" but I did:

Living on the Border of the Holy Renewing the Priesthood of All, Countryman

Eat This Book, Eugene Peterson (and others in this series)

Meeting Jesus Again, Marcus Borg

Help, Thanks, Wow, Anne Lamott

I second just about anything by Anne Lamott.

I've read the Countryman book (for my EfM class last year) and it was so-so IMO.

The best I've ever read was Foster's Celebration of Discipline. It's a GREAT Lenten book. AND it's engaging, beautifully written, filled with grace...In a season that is about discipline, it is quite interesting to read how discipline does not lead to the Lord, but comes out of relationship with him. There are some qualifiers with that statement, but basically it gives hope to those of us who just don't have that J in our Myers-Briggs! lol

Most of the books I'm looking at are eastern orthodox, but one book I read years ago (pre orthodox)for lent was Henri Nouwen's "The Return of the Prodigal".. it's a wonderful book.. I love just about anything from him.

I have that book, and yes, it was wonderful.  I had also been thinking of another book by him, but I thought of branching out.

I second just about anything by Anne Lamott.

I've read the Countryman book (for my EfM class last year) and it was so-so IMO.

The best I've ever read was Foster's Celebration of Discipline. It's a GREAT Lenten book. AND it's engaging, beautifully written, filled with grace...In a season that is about discipline, it is quite interesting to read how discipline does not lead to the Lord, but comes out of relationship with him. There are some qualifiers with that statement, but basically it gives hope to those of us who just don't have that J in our Myers-Briggs! lol

I have read Foster's book at least 5 times.  It is wonderful. 

I got Nouwen's book.  I'm a ashamed to say that I orginally discounted his book because I couldn't get it on my Kindle.  I like my devotionals on my phone and Kindle, and I don't want to bring any more books into this house. But I think I will like his the best, so I ordered it. :)  

Debbi, I keep looking at all of his books, and yes I want Wounded Healer as well as, Heart Speaks to Heart, Out of Solitude, and The Way of the Heart.  Maybe after Lent I will work on one of his books at a time. 

I got Nouwen's book.  I'm a ashamed to say that I orginally discounted his book because I couldn't get it on my Kindle.  I like my devotionals on my phone and Kindle, and I don't want to bring any more books into this house. But I think I will like his the best, so I ordered it. :)

Debbi, I keep looking at all of his books, and yes I want Wounded Healer as well as, Heart Speaks to Heart, Out of Solitude, and The Way of the Heart.  Maybe after Lent I will work on one of his books at a time. 

I have not heard of "Out of Solitude".. definitely going to get that one...it sounds like something I would really like.   Nouwen holds a special place in my heart.  His books (and Buechner's) helped me through some spiritually difficult times.

I hope your Lenten reading is spiritually fruitful.