Menu

9/1 exercisers

Well, my sister, the Boston Marathon bunny, has left me now. :crying: Yet I was able to scrape myself outta bed this AM to get on the treadmill for 20 minutes of intervals and 10 minutes of weightlifting. Not ideal, I know. But I figure if I go whole hog right away, I'll burn out. Right? So I'm easing back into my exer-life. I'm going to try to add 5 minutes a day until I get back up to 45 min-1 hour of cardio about 5 days a week and 45 min-1 hour of weightlifting 3 or 4 days a week. I really LOVE lifting weights; I really HATE cardio.

Thanks to Krista whose post last night was what FORCED me out of bed! :001_smile:

You are an early riser.

I am just getting up and trying to decide where to bike or walk this morning.

I never had a chance to get on line yesterday.

I walked 2 miles in the yesterday morning and 6 miles last nigt(it was beautiful out)

****Update This morning dh and I walked 3 miles and than I rode the bike 5 miles.

Great job Layla!!!! Even without your sister there - you CAN do it!!!!

Mrs. Readsalot - I am always amazed at how far you go!! Seriously - amazing!!!

I ran 3.5 miles this morning. It was tough after the long run two days ago. How do you recover from a longer run? Anyone? I find that even if I take a day off, my next run is really hard!

I ran 5.28 miles this morning (witht he dog). 57:10, 10:47 pace. 615 calories which were then blown by a trip to Starbucks. But really I got one of there Vivanno things - pretty good and relatively low in calories. (Relative to where I was!) I also had it made with skim milk instead of 2%. Pretty good actually. Now off to the mall. DH said something about the Mac Store and then lunch. The only reason we came home was I didn't wear mall shoes to Starbucks.

Mrs. Readsalot - I am always amazed at how far you go!! Seriously - amazing!!!

Dh calls me the energizer bunny of walking LOL Remember though don't even ask me to jog or run. Even before I started losing weight I was walking every day. I have just increased my pace to help take off the weight. Also I walk on a flat terrain which I think helps me to walk greater distances. I do inclines when I use the treadmill though. Thank you for the kind words!

Well, after 16hrs in bed. Really tired. I dragged my heavy and I don't mean fat, just weigted body down stairs to do 20 mins cardio. Could not do more and could barely do that. It felt like I was wearing cement shoes. KWIM? I stuck with it for 20 though I usually do b/tw 30-50. Now I have to put up bulletin boards. (School starts tomorrow)

Well, my sister, the Boston Marathon bunny, has left me now. :crying: Yet I was able to scrape myself outta bed this AM to get on the treadmill for 20 minutes of intervals and 10 minutes of weightlifting. Not ideal, I know. But I figure if I go whole hog right away, I'll burn out. Right? So I'm easing back into my exer-life. I'm going to try to add 5 minutes a day until I get back up to 45 min-1 hour of cardio about 5 days a week and 45 min-1 hour of weightlifting 3 or 4 days a week. I really LOVE lifting weights; I really HATE cardio.

Thanks to Krista whose post last night was what FORCED me out of bed! :001_smile:

Glad I could be of assistance. :D Good job getting up and getting it done! And you are right, it's better to take it slower than burn out.

Well, after 16hrs in bed. Really tired. I dragged my heavy and I don't mean fat, just weigted body down stairs to do 20 mins cardio. Could not do more and could barely do that. It felt like I was wearing cement shoes. KWIM?

Know what you mean?! Uh, yeah. Do I ever. I don't know if it's just post-injury, or having been sedentary for the last several months, or my thyroid telling me to get more meds...but I feel like Jabba the Hut in the morning. I need a demolition team here to blast my sorry derriere out of the bed. Yawnnnnnnn....

So thanks again to ALL of you for being here. Accountability--that's what I need!

I'm so excited I finally get to post on this thread! The way our family schedule has worked out has made it so I finally will have time to exercise in the mornings 3-4 times per week.

So today, I just walked: 1.6 miles in 26 minutes. Not very fast - starting from very, very square one. I'll eventually work my way up to running for 45 minutes at a time, but that will take several months.

I have run 3 1/2 marathons in my past life, the last one 2 years ago, but I haven't done anything at all since early May. So, I'm back to square one, but really excited to be starting something at all.

Suzanne

Good job to all of you starting over in your exercise life. Every time you take a step, you are closer to your goals of weight loss, a healthier lifestyle, and more stamina. If it helps, twenty minutes of walking for me last spring was HARD. We've made steady progress here. Now, a day's walk is closer to 55 minutes. And it doesn't kill me all day. ;)

Dh and I walked 55 minutes this morning. A holiday meant no traffic to dodge. A cool and very pleasant morning for us.

Lynn...I see your post. Bravo!!!!!!!

Great job getting up. Work your plan!

I ran 3.5 miles this morning. It was tough after the long run two days ago. How do you recover from a longer run? Anyone? I find that even if I take a day off, my next run is really hard!

Good job on the run.

When I was training for the marathon, the long run was Saturday, Sunday was off and then Monday was pretty short. That's all I know.

Well, after 16hrs in bed. Really tired. I dragged my heavy and I don't mean fat, just weighted body down stairs to do 20 mins cardio. Could not do more and could barely do that. It felt like I was wearing cement shoes. KWIM? I stuck with it for 20 though I usually do b/tw 30-50. Now I have to put up bulletin boards. (School starts tomorrow)

Take it easy! 16 hours in bed, I'm not sure you should be doing anything yet. You need to completely recover from an illness before you start exercising again. This doesn't apply to colds, but to things which lay you out.

I'm so excited I finally get to post on this thread! The way our family schedule has worked out has made it so I finally will have time to exercise in the mornings 3-4 times per week.

So today, I just walked: 1.6 miles in 26 minutes. Not very fast - starting from very, very square one. I'll eventually work my way up to running for 45 minutes at a time, but that will take several months.

I have run 3 1/2 marathons in my past life, the last one 2 years ago, but I haven't done anything at all since early May. So, I'm back to square one, but really excited to be starting something at all.

Suzanne

It may not be fast Suzanne, but we all have to start somewhere. You will improve!

May I join in? I used to walk an hour a day most days of the week but sadly, I quit doing it. I am so out of shape. I'm ashamed to say it but... I was breathing hard at 3 minutes. Yep, you heard that right.. 3 minutes. I managed to walk 20 minutes but I thought I was gonna die.

Okay, that's my check in. :ack2:

Suzanne

Welcome to the exercise thread, Suzanne! :001_smile: Great job on your walk. I am gearing up for a marathon in '09 so I am with you on the sarting again deal.;)

May I join in? I used to walk an hour a day most days of the week but sadly, I quit doing it. I am so out of shape. I'm ashamed to say it but... I was breathing hard at 3 minutes. Yep, you heard that right.. 3 minutes. I managed to walk 20 minutes but I thought I was gonna die.

:D Glad you checked in, Faith! The little engine, remember? ;)

Yes join in! BTW, good job. The first step is always the hardest!

I did a very painful 5 miles. My lower back is absolutely killing me! I really need to get and adjustment from the chiropractor because this back issue is setting me back.

You girls are doing so well! You keep me motivated.

My chiro was my friend a couple years ago when I did a marathon. Good job on the distance. Hope your back feels better soon!

One step at a time, Faith. You can do it! (And we will be here to cheer you on!)