Menu

What does your 13-14 yo boy do all summer?

Catherine

I am at home, but I need to keep him involved in something positive this summer.  This is a child who seems to be drawn to the wrong people at times.  He will be at summer camp for 2 weeks, but I will be at work during that time.  What has worked for you all before?

My ds would just veg with his video games or watch movies.  

Two come to mind in terms of positive adult mentorship...

How about volunteering at an animal hospital/shelter?  They always need volunteers.  

Our local library has teen volunteers run their reading rewards program.

well, my son is a ballet dancer so he attends a 6 week ballet intensive in town.  He is also usually in a community play over the summer.  The kids involved all seem to be wonderful people. And dancing for 8 hours a day certainly does leave him too tired to get into trouble, lol.

My mom had 4 kids and worked all summer.  She signed us up for lots of sports type activities. At that time it was heavily subsidized by the town, I know for a fact that the program no longer exists anymore. But we had lots of swimming lessons and gymnastics and basketball and tennis and stuff like that. It was all at a local park and we could walk there on our own. I would take my younger brother and sister to their lessons when they were too young to walk alone.  Looking back on it, it really did keep us out of trouble. We would go from swimming to basketball to gymnastics and then go home and collapse, lol.

So, I say look for anything active!

ETA: ask your friends whose kids are in public school. They are usually working all summer and know where all the local activities and day camps are. I know in my town there is an entire industry that springs up to provide activities for kids during school breaks. Nature camps, art camps, music camps, theater camps, farming, sports...you name it.  You sign up for a number of weeks.  Some of them have half day options.

The summer my son was 12 we didn't sign him up for anything because I thought it would be good for him to have the summer to just hang out with friends and do what he wanted.  Big mistake!  All his friends were busy or traveling. It was a very, very lonely summer for him.

Like redsquirrel's son, mine is a dancer/performer. The summer he was 13, he did a summer stock production at a local youth theatre. They rehearsed four hours a day, Monday through Friday for five or six weeks and then had three weekends of performances. In addition to being in the show, he volunteered as a junior counselor for day camps for younger kids for several weeks. He finished the summer with a week of intensive at his dance school to prep for auditions for the competition team. 

The summer he was 14, he couldn't do a full-length intensive because he had a tour scheduled with his choir for three weeks in August. He still volunteered with the theatre, though. He had weekly rehearsals with the choir to prep for the tour and several fund-raising performances. He also took dance classes a couple of evenings a week. 

The following summer, he did a four-week dance intensive at a local community college followed by three weeks of recreational swim team at the community center (three mornings a week). He took dance classes at his regular dance studio two or three evenings a week and finished with the one-week intensive for competition team members.

Of course, he also spent time with friends and read a lot and watched TV and played video games. But keeping him busy with some scheduled, physical activities made summers pass much more pleasantly for everyone. 

I am at home, but I need to keep him involved in something positive this summer.  This is a child who seems to be drawn to the wrong people at times.  He will be at summer camp for 2 weeks, but I will be at work during that time.  What has worked for you all before?

Last year my ds was working pretty intensively on preparing for his violin RCM grade 8 exam that he took mid-August.  He also attended a ten day violin camp.  He had a lot of time with his friends - at the pool, at the beach, and at our house and friends' houses.  He also volunteered four hours a week at the hospital.  We had family come and visit for a week so he visited with family, too.  

If he hadn't been so busy, I would have required a part-time job.  

I think that summer was the hardest one.  Too young for a job, too old to be entertained 24/7 by LEGOs.  

The kids I know who spent that summer building a lawn mowing business have done really well with that over the years.  They have also expanded into power-washing which makes more money over time.  

We did swim team for 12 years and that was a good structural thing--it got my son out of the house every single day and we had 2-ce a week meets for 6 weeks into the summer.  He also volunteered as an assistant coach for the youngers, and he loved that, and it gave him something to do.  

His friends were always a "drive" away and all were busier than he was so it was hard to get together with them.  I really felt for him that summer.  It was sort of a sea change.  

One week of camp then he volunteers for 4, 1 week sessions of karate camp: these are spread out over the summer. One to two weeks visiting grandparents. Karate class 3 times a week. Otherwise swimming, reading, video games, running, movies, chores and church activities and friends.