Menu

Things are going downhill with FIL. It was a hard day.

AimeeM

I'm actually surprised the dog hasn't been seized. Here if social workers go in & they observed this, they'd get the SPCA involved & depending on circumstances the animal would either be seized or the owner would be given very short timeline to arrange for medical treatment.   Leaving a dog in conditions like this here is also grounds for criminal prosecution under the prevention of cruelty to animals act.

Calm down. Please. I never (not even once) said that my FIL wasn't planning on getting the surgery. He only JUST (while hospitalized - a friend took the dog in for Dad) was advised to get the surgery for the dog. The previous vet was trying a conservative treatment of pain meds, anti-inflammatories, and antibiotics (and a prescription diet), as that is what worked the last time it flared up. 

Although I didn't specify when my FIL was advised to have the surgery, I *did* mention upthread that the dog IS receiving medical attention - he has been on medications and a prescription diet for some time now, as that is what worked the last time it flared up. Since I can attest to that this type of treatment is typical (it was the first go-to with our GSD as well; even when that failed, another round of more potent meds was tried - never did our own vet recommend surgery immediately, without first trying several rounds of medications and diet changes, even with our own pup), I can assure you that it certainly isn't ASPCA worthy - he IS receiving very consistent vet care.

I appreciate the concern for the dog. Really. I adore my pets. A bit of compassion for the elderly man who, even while hospitalized, declining rapidly, and undergoing a cancer DX, still asked a friend to take his dog to the vet because he felt the dog's prescription diet and medications weren't cutting, paid over the phone from his hospital room for that vet visit, and showed concern for the dog he adores, but is struggling to care for with his own limitations, would be so appreciated. I can't imagine that he is the first elderly, sick person who found themselves unable to physically care for their beloved pet as well as they had been able to do before... and even despite FIL's own limitations, he is giving it a DARN good try and has gone to great lengths to have the dog cared for.

Aimee, since you have your FIL's permission to speak to the nursing staff, would it be possible for you to have a conversation with the main provider about the dog? The nurses cannot be comfortable with the situation as it stands. Could they ask a supervisor from their organization to make a visit to the home? While there, the supervisor could take note of the issues with the dog and tell your FIL that they are requesting a visit from an animal welfare agency due to concerns about the dog's health and the sanitary issues.

I'm suggesting this because I really do think that it would be better for someone other than family to address the dog issue. Having the caretaker's supervisor handle this also removes the responsibility from the direct caretakers, who may not feel comfortable broaching the topic with him themselves.

It's touching that so many friends visit your FIL and that he is so loved by all. I do think you are right that he will fare best if he stays in his own home, and I know it must be terribly difficult to care for him from so far away. :grouphug:

Aimee, since you have your FIL's permission to speak to the nursing staff, would it be possible for you to have a conversation with the main provider about the dog? The nurses cannot be comfortable with the situation as it stands. Could they ask a supervisor from their organization to make a visit to the home? While there, the supervisor could take note of the issues with the dog and tell your FIL that they are requesting a visit from an animal welfare agency due to concerns about the dog's health and the sanitary issues.

I'm suggesting this because I really do think that it would be better for someone other than family to address the dog issue. Having the caretaker's supervisor handle this also removes the responsibility from the direct caretakers, who may not feel comfortable broaching the topic with him themselves.

It's touching that so many friends visit your FIL and that he is so loved by all. I do think you are right that he will fare best if he stays in his own home, and I know it must be terribly difficult to care for him from so far away. :grouphug:

Honestly, I don't think animal welfare would do anything - the dog is well cared for, clean, and has consistent vet care; FIL is abiding by the vet's recommended course of action, kwim? I'm not sure that the nurses have even seen the dog (no pets are allowed to be out when any home care staff is visiting, so the dog is always out of the room when they visit). 

In other words, there is nothing that animal welfare could require him to do that he ISN'T already doing. They would require the dog see a vet (he is and has), receive medical care and treatment (he is, has, and will), and... well, what more would they require? The sanitary conditions can't be fixed if the dog's medical situation doesn't improve, but the vet is definitely able to attest to that FIL has done everything recommended. If the surgery does help the medical situation, there is still the nagging concern (of mine) that I don't know that the dog was every housebroken (rescue; I believe he'd always had potty training problems, if I remember correctly, although I'm not sure if they were as serious as they are now with the fistula).

As far as the sanitary issues, they are cleaned up daily... but they need to be taken care of more frequently, and he just can't do that in his condition (FIL's condition, I mean). It is *only* in the kitchen, and I suppose that isn't a huge deal to FIL because his meals are generally brought to him freshly cooked so he hasn't a real need to go in the kitchen but for when he plays with the dog, feeds the dog, and cleans up after the dog... but MY concerns are him slipping on the urine while he tries to clean it up, and if we were to live there - well, I'd have to utilize the kitchen AS a kitchen, instead of as a doggie playpen. 

The sanitary conditions of the kitchen would be my major concern... but, again, if Dad is complying with everything the vet recommends, I can't see what animal welfare would recommend that hasn't already been done.

there are doggy diapers for dogs that are permanently incontinent. Or perhaps he can be trained to use a puppy pee pad or other indoor doggy toilet arrangement - just so it's not all over the floors...

I think those are great ideas... when the melon on his rear goes away :) Do you think that he would keep on a diaper? We tried a diaper with our Iggy during her heat cycle years ago, and she didn't keep it on.

I think the diaper is more promising than the pee pad, though, because the pee pad wouldn't help his insatiable desire to mark EVERYTHING. When his rear end issues are better, perhaps a trainer can assess why the dog has always been so temperamental as well (he's been temperamental for longer than the medical issues have presented, although he may have been feeling poorly for a time before the medical presented outwardly).

You know what Home Care really hates? Dad has a beloved parrot. Actually, someone gave my husband the parrot 20 years ago - the bird was so annoying and mouthy that my husband gave it to FIL within a year of receiving it (DH never asked for the bird; it was a random, totally random, "gift"). When the Home Care staff comes in, the bird deliberately quacks like a duck, said vulgar things, or just yells "hello!" over and over again from his cage. My FIL loves the bird, but golly if those nurses don't hate him - his main nurse muttered something about "fried bird" one day when we were visiting, lol. 

Is he neutered?

Also look at belly bands. It's what many people use for small breed persistent leg lifters and it wouldn't be close to the fistula...

I'm not sure if he's neutered. I'll ask.

That's right - I've heard of the belly bands. Do they really work as well as I've heard?

Ideally, if Dad has the carpet torn out, he has great hardwoods underneath, which would be much easier to deal with while the dog is training and/or working on his marking issues.

belly bands are worth a try and def. neutering if he isn't. I've fostered leg lifters and usually they really calm down within a few weeks of neutering. But that's big dogs... Small dog people frequently report ongoing issues even post neuter - I really don't know why that is... And yeah, many of them end up using belly bands.

Such a hard situation all around. Bless you for your genuine care and compassion for all concerned (even the doggy). You've gotten some great suggestions about how to deal with the dog's issues. I wonder...after his medical condition is resolved, would the trainer you mentioned in the other thread be able to help?

Such a hard situation all around. Bless you for your genuine care and compassion for all concerned (even the doggy). You've gotten some great suggestions about how to deal with the dog's issues. I wonder...after his medical condition is resolved, would the trainer you mentioned in the other thread be able to help?

No - our trainer is here in SC with us; my FIL (and his dog) live in Pennsylvania ;)

belly bands are worth a try and def. neutering if he isn't. I've fostered leg lifters and usually they really calm down within a few weeks of neutering. But that's big dogs... Small dog people frequently report ongoing issues even post neuter - I really don't know why that is... And yeah, many of them end up using belly bands.

Yes - I've met several small (even medium) dogs that still mark after neutering.

I'm actually going to take back my original thought that the diapers would be the best idea - it would have to be the pee pad; unless the dog's temperament changes drastically with the surgery, he won't allow me anywhere near him without growling and/or biting, and FIL can't bend down to change the diaper.

Aimee - My prayers are with you and your family. My mom was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer last year. We live overseas and I returned to the states for eight months. There were months of separation from my hubby and oldest ds while my younger two and I moved in with my mom to help care for her. Last year was extremely difficult, but more than anything I am BEYOND THANKFUL that I had this time with my mom before the Lord called her home. Sure, my homeschool year didn't look like anything we had hoped or planned, but my girls received an even better GIFT - spending precious time with their grandma and seeing love in action. The sacrifices and challenges are real, but the reward is PRICELESS. Praying for wisdom, peace and strength as you walk alongside your dear FIL.

Well now, that WOULD make it impractical, wouldn't it? See what happens when I chime in while insufficiently caffeinated? Lesson learned! (Good luck with everything, Aimee.)

Oh, I don't know. I'm sure for the right price she would fly up there and do it, lol!