Menu

Middle School Science Sequence

I know I've seen this before but I can't find it! What is the recommended sequence for science for middle school? I have a 5th grader, and we're doing earth science this year--astronomy, geology, weather, etc--using Apologia Astronomy and Elemental Science Astronomy and Earth Science.

Recommended by whom? WTM suggests doing science on a cycle the way you do history - a year of biology, a year of earth science, a year of chemistry, a year of physics. If you look at the Next Generation Science Standards, which are currently being adopted in a lot of schools, you'll find a mixed sequence based more on building up inquiry skills. Other curricula, like Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, have their own sequences.

A lot of us would advocate that there is no one right order of information for science. I certainly don't believe that it's somehow superior to start with biology.

I'm with Farrar, there's no specific order.

I think it depends on the curriculum you plan to use(i.e. CPO is set up for Earth, Bio, Physical Sci.)  and where you want to go in H.S., also if you like the Physics first model that some recommend on here or the "traditional" Bio first.  If you know where you want to go then you can chart a course on how to get there.

Take a look at some of the High School board threads to get a better idea of a good sequence that will work for you.

There are a couple of approaches to middle school science:  one I see often discussed here is to get a head start on high school science, so doing biology/chemistry/physics at a basic level, so that when the kid hits it in high school, they may be able to do an honors level or AP level course.  This path works if the student's math skills are strong and seems to be a choice taken by accelerated students who have the math to start basic high school level science in 7th & 8th grade.

Another approach is to use the middle grades to focus on scientific literacy and/or broad exposure and/or introduction to fields that the student might be interested in studying more deeply later.  So for scientific literacy, you might work through a book like Science Matters or Dr. Art's Guide to Science that gives them a broad picture of the whole field of science so that as they begin to study topics in depth later, they understand where it fits and why it matters.  You can also use that time to study big ideas in science - Origin of life, of the universe, cosmology, evolution, human anthropology.  For topics of interest it could be anything not typically focused on in a high school course - oceans/marine biology, the solar system, human anatomy, animals, plants, simple machines, etc.

I seem to have lost my point.  I guess I'm just trying to say that in the middle grades, you and your student have the freedom to study what interests them, and to provide a basic foundation in scientific literacy.  Enjoy the freedom! It can be more daunting to try and design an interest-led class for high school, but in the middle grades, the world is your oyster, constrained only by your student's readiness, interests, and math ability.

Agreed with what Rose said. High school science courses have a certain meaning, but middle school science can be whatever you like. Assuming you spend or have spent even a little time exposing a child to the absolute basics (a friend refers to some curricula as being for "children who never go outside" and I think you just want the "go outside" level of knowledge - super basic) then high school science scope and sequences start assuming no real prior knowledge. So middle school can be a time to get a head start or a time to do whatever you want and make science about inquiry and fun.

I know we're all on the WTM board, but I have seen very little love on this board for the WTM's science sequence. Many people follow it because it's easy, there's several curricula that are aligned to it like RSO and Elemental, which makes it useful. But I think nearly everyone agrees that there's no pedagogical reason for it the way there is for the WTM history rotation. It's just a checklist to make sure you're doing something. Feel free to depart.

Thanks everyone!  I don't really follow WTM...I know.  I just trust you all for guidance and experience!  I have a kiddo who is pretty advanced in math and sciences and I have a feeling will do something with math/science later in life.  He reads non-fiction space and animals books for fun!  He's fifth grade technically.  I feel like I need a plan for the next few years for science, but maybe I don't.

We started the year with Apologia science which was WAY too easy and he was bored.  I've added Elemental Science which is better but I need something harder and more in depth for this kid!

So, y'all are telling me that I can choose what we want to study in regards to science over the next few years?  It feels so freeing!

Now I have more questions!

If you want to go really free form for science, look for Ruth (lewelma)'s posts. Maybe someone can come and link them.

If you want to find some more challenging curricula... some things we've used or are looking at for middle school level science include the ACS's Middle School Chemistry, some of the Ellen McHenry programs (we really liked The Brain)... Some people really like the Prentice Hall Science Explorer books, and the RSO logic stage biology seems to have gotten good reviews.

And, of course, there are so, so many great books. Has he found the Scientist in the Field series? Best thing ever. Have you guys watched the Richard Attenborough Life of... various series? Great documentaries. And Cosmos. There's a ton of great stuff out there.

Shburks, I agree with everyone else -- middle school is a time to do whatever you want.  I ran a thread a few years ago trying to figure out what are the goals for middle school science.  Not everyone agreed, but this is what I came up with:

Middle School level goals

Content: Broad overview of biology, earth science, chemistry, physics (this can be systematic or interest driven). High school science is easier if it is not the first time the material has been encountered.

Skills (students who already possess these skills by 9th grade will be set to succeed in high school science):
1) Reading: Ability to read difficult text. Ability to interpret graphs, charts, and diagrams.
2) Writing: Ability to write succinct answers to "short-answer" questions including evaluate, interpret, integrate, compare and contrast, critique, etc.
3) Math: at grade level. Including the ability to identify and draw appropriate graphs for the data
4) Logical thinking and problem solving capability
5) Study skills, reading a textbook, organization skills, time management, note taking
6) Scientific Method: general understanding of how experiments are replicated and controlled, how hypotheses are are accepted or rejected (this does not need to be a detailed understanding, although it could be if you want to spend the time doing it in middle school to save some time in highschool)

Attitudes
1) Curiosity: "wanting to understand the world"(Regentrude). Including the desire to find answers either through books, observation, or tinkering
2) Enthusiasm towards science (or at least a positive attitude)
3) Scepticism: "inquire what facts substantiate a claim" (Regentrude)
4) Acceptance of falsification: Ability to reject your hypotheses; to not have your ego tied to your ideas.

+++++

I have helped others develop individualized programs in the past.  You can find some in this thread of threads.

I'm on school holidays for the next 4 weeks (summer in the southern hemisphere), so if you want help identifying your goals and objectives, just let me know. 

Ruth in NZ

If you want to go really free form for science, look for Ruth (lewelma)'s posts. Maybe someone can come and link them.

If you want to find some more challenging curricula... some things we've used or are looking at for middle school level science include the ACS's Middle School Chemistry, some of the Ellen McHenry programs (we really liked The Brain)... Some people really like the Prentice Hall Science Explorer books, and the RSO logic stage biology seems to have gotten good reviews.

And, of course, there are so, so many great books. Has he found the Scientist in the Field series? Best thing ever. Have you guys watched the Richard Attenborough Life of... various series? Great documentaries. And Cosmos. There's a ton of great stuff out there.

I'm totally unfamiliar with anything you mentioned in the last paragraph!  Going to check it out!

Shburks, I agree with everyone else -- middle school is a time to do whatever you want.  I ran a thread a few years ago trying to figure out what are the goals for middle school science.  Not everyone agreed, but this is what I came up with:

Middle School level goals

Content: Broad overview of biology, earth science, chemistry, physics (this can be systematic or interest driven). High school science is easier if it is not the first time the material has been encountered.

Skills (students who already possess these skills by 9th grade will be set to succeed in high school science):

1) Reading: Ability to read difficult text. Ability to interpret graphs, charts, and diagrams.

2) Writing: Ability to write succinct answers to "short-answer" questions including evaluate, interpret, integrate, compare and contrast, critique, etc.

3) Math: at grade level. Including the ability to identify and draw appropriate graphs for the data

4) Logical thinking and problem solving capability

5) Study skills, reading a textbook, organization skills, time management, note taking

6) Scientific Method: general understanding of how experiments are replicated and controlled, how hypotheses are are accepted or rejected (this does not need to be a detailed understanding, although it could be if you want to spend the time doing it in middle school to save some time in highschool)

Attitudes

1) Curiosity: "wanting to understand the world"(Regentrude). Including the desire to find answers either through books, observation, or tinkering

2) Enthusiasm towards science (or at least a positive attitude)

3) Scepticism: "inquire what facts substantiate a claim" (Regentrude)

4) Acceptance of falsification: Ability to reject your hypotheses; to not have your ego tied to your ideas.

+++++

I have helped others develop individualized programs in the past.  You can find some in this thread of threads.

I'm on school holidays for the next 4 weeks (summer in the southern hemisphere), so if you want help identifying your goals and objectives, just let me know. 

Ruth in NZ

Thanks, Ruth... I may contact you.  Great list above!

Did you use Apologia's Young Explorer series or the Exploring Creation series? I ask because I have found the Exploring Creation to be a good fit for my advanced fifth grader. The Young Explorers were very young. Exploring a Creation was a jump up, but not too far. The conversational tone is nice. The few problems and lack of repetition is nice. The lighter content fits the need for dense middle school science, but not overwhelming amounts. You can view a sample of a module on Apologia's website. I do not know about Google books. Chemistry's first chapter is the metric system, so you might want to view the physics sample to get a better feel for the content of the actual text.

We are not into Young Earth perspective, so Biology is out, but the chem book had very little God. What God was there, was easy to not make any big deal of or omit entirely. In a couple places it was even helpful to talk about how science can be used to support claims as a form of propaganda (in both directions). Ds has asked for Apologia Physics next year.

I will say we are not science focused. Ds might head there at some point, but I highly doubt it. We are just keeping doors open. For you, it might not be enough. You definitely need a different lab set. The labs are just kitchen science.

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of a late add here... It is hard to find appropriate science for advanced/ interested kiddos. I'll second the Scientist in the Field series and Jay Hostler books are good (evolution- if that's your cuppa).

I have and am looking at Oak Meadow's Environmental Science syllabus with some of the weeks substituted with Ellen McHenry's Botany for next year for a young sixth grader.

Dc is doing CPO Earth this year. Dc reads roughly at the Scientific American level for science. I may scale down the writing volume very slightly.

Dc may go to a B&M high school, so our sequence- starting roughly in 3rd/ 4th has been/ will be:

Galore Park Junior Science 3

CPO Earth

Environmental Science Oak Meadow (seems to do a good job with what some of what Ruth suggests and Dc is interested) + Botany Ellen McHenry

Biology: https://quarksandquirks.wordpress.com/biology-hs-level/

Chemistry: https://quarksandquirks.wordpress.com/chemistry-hs-level/

Physics: https://donttouchthephotons.wordpress.com

Comments welcome! HTH!

It can be any order you want!

We did/will do:

5th grade biology (McHenry cells, botany, brain, human body)

6th grade chemistry (McHenry Elements, carbon chemistry)

7th grade physical science (Derek Owens)

8th grade general science review (Galore Park SYRWL Science 2)

Two different paths here:

Ds (now 8th grade):

6th - loose integrated science studies (Magic of Reality, Dr. Art's, documentaries)

7th - more integrated science, with a focus on introductory physics (library books, documentaries, Milestones in Science kit)

8th - Conceptual Physics (Hewitt, Teaching Co. lectures, and books by Robert Gilmore)

Dd (currently 6th grade):

6th: zoology (Scientists in the Field, All About series, nature journaling, documentaries)

7th: biology (Elemental Science's Logic Stage Biology, Scientists in the Field, documentaries)

8th: integrated sciences, I think (based on Trefil & Hazen's book, maybe Science Matters)

As you can see, I don't worry about a specific sequence -- it's very much based on my particular children. I think that middle school is a great time to build science awareness, and to explore interests, all while asking for a higher level of work than elementary school.

Did you use Apologia's Young Explorer series or the Exploring Creation series? I ask because I have found the Exploring Creation to be a good fit for my advanced fifth grader. The Young Explorers were very young. Exploring a Creation was a jump up, but not too far. The conversational tone is nice. The few problems and lack of repetition is nice. The lighter content fits the need for dense middle school science, but not overwhelming amounts. You can view a sample of a module on Apologia's website. I do not know about Google books. Chemistry's first chapter is the metric system, so you might want to view the physics sample to get a better feel for the content of the actual text.

We are not into Young Earth perspective, so Biology is out, but the chem book had very little God. What God was there, was easy to not make any big deal of or omit entirely. In a couple places it was even helpful to talk about how science can be used to support claims as a form of propaganda (in both directions). Ds has asked for Apologia Physics next year.

I will say we are not science focused. Ds might head there at some point, but I highly doubt it. We are just keeping doors open. For you, it might not be enough. You definitely need a different lab set. The labs are just kitchen science.

Yes...we were using the younger series and not enough meat.  DS is so turned off by Apologia that I don't know if we'll revisit it although we did recently see the Chemistry & Physics  book which definitely looked more advanced!

Yes...we were using the younger series and not enough meat.  DS is so turned off by Apologia that I don't know if we'll revisit it although we did recently see the Chemistry & Physics  book which definitely looked more advanced!

I cannot do the younger ones.  They are very heavy handed religiously.  They are not enough content.  My Ds really disliked them.  The Exploring Creation series has slim to no "God stuff."  The level is great with only needed PreA math or just a bit of Introductory Algebra.  They cover the topic at a fairly superficial level for high school, but are wonderfully deep for middle school.  Infact, I would say that the series is ideal to pair with a PreA course since it covers decimals, conversions, scientific notation, ratios and proportions, basic slope, distributive property, and lots upon lots of applied story problems.  The chemistry book lays out how to do this mathematically a bit, but I have found it to reinforce our math in the most serendipitous way.

You may want to try it.  We are finishing Chemistry this year and Ds has requested Physics for next year.  I am not going to do the Biology, as I have a feeling the religious bent in that one is a bit more extreme.  Ds specifically likes the conversational tone and the way that the author gives only a few problems rather than stacks of repetition.  Just little bits, then a few more little bits, then a problem which pulls all the little bits together.

ETA: Amazon has these texts really cheap.  I got the chem one for around twenty bucks and it has lasted two years when I paired it with our own labs.  16 chapters and a chapter finished ever 2 weeks.  We do the labs in between chapters (Thames and Kosmos Chem 3000) and it spaces the whole thing out beautifully!  You might be able to borrow one from another homeschooling family as well, there are just so many floating around.

Kind of a late add here... It is hard to find appropriate science for advanced/ interested kiddos. I'll second the Scientist in the Field series and Jay Hostler books are good (evolution- if that's your cuppa).

*snip*

So true. We're struggling with this as well. DD has asked for physics next year. Her current love is astronomy (we'll be doing a unit study on that over the summer) but her math is not yet advanced enough to really get into either of those. We are looking into accelerating math, but until she gets up to speed, it's hard to satisfy her curiosity with the stuff that's on her level. When we were looking into ideas for our summer study, she rolled her eyes and said, "Mo-om! I don't want to read more about the planets! I want to know how the universe works!" Um, sure, honey. I'll get right on that. :huh:

We used Noeo Biology II this year, and it's been fine, but I think she could do with more of a challenge. We're actually looking at Noeo Physics III instead of Physics II, possibly cutting back on some of the biographies and writing assignments. We still may have to move at a slower speed. Is it ok if we don't cover every topic? The goal at this level is exposure, not mastery -- right???

So true. We're struggling with this as well. DD has asked for physics next year. Her current love is astronomy (we'll be doing a unit study on that over the summer) but her math is not yet advanced enough to really get into either of those. We are looking into accelerating math, but until she gets up to speed, it's hard to satisfy her curiosity with the stuff that's on her level. When we were looking into ideas for our summer study, she rolled her eyes and said, "Mo-om! I don't want to read more about the planets! I want to know how the universe works!" Um, sure, honey. I'll get right on that. :huh:

We used Noeo Biology II this year, and it's been fine, but I think she could do with more of a challenge. We're actually looking at Noeo Physics III instead of Physics II, possibly cutting back on some of the biographies and writing assignments. We still may have to move at a slower speed. Is it ok if we don't cover every topic? The goal at this level is exposure, not mastery -- right???

I so had to laugh at this!  My son definitely knows more about space and astronomy than either of the books we're currently using, but he has enjoyed the labs.  I'm looking to do at least half a year in Marine Biology next year and not sure what we'll do after that.

I had considered the Noeo biology for next year, but now I'm second guessing that based on your comments.  I assume the Physics III is aimed more at the high school level?

I cannot do the younger ones.  They are very heavy handed religiously.  They are not enough content.  My Ds really disliked them.  The Exploring Creation series has slim to no "God stuff."  The level is great with only needed PreA math or just a bit of Introductory Algebra.  They cover the topic at a fairly superficial level for high school, but are wonderfully deep for middle school.  Infact, I would say that the series is ideal to pair with a PreA course since it covers decimals, conversions, scientific notation, ratios and proportions, basic slope, distributive property, and lots upon lots of applied story problems.  The chemistry book lays out how to do this mathematically a bit, but I have found it to reinforce our math in the most serendipitous way.

You may want to try it.  We are finishing Chemistry this year and Ds has requested Physics for next year.  I am not going to do the Biology, as I have a feeling the religious bent in that one is a bit more extreme.  Ds specifically likes the conversational tone and the way that the author gives only a few problems rather than stacks of repetition.  Just little bits, then a few more little bits, then a problem which pulls all the little bits together.

ETA: Amazon has these texts really cheap.  I got the chem one for around twenty bucks and it has lasted two years when I paired it with our own labs.  16 chapters and a chapter finished ever 2 weeks.  We do the labs in between chapters (Thames and Kosmos Chem 3000) and it spaces the whole thing out beautifully!  You might be able to borrow one from another homeschooling family as well, there are just so many floating around.

Thanks, Ordinary.  I really appreciate your thoughts on this.  I picked up the General Science book recently at our local homeschool store to browse; it's so big that it scared me!  Maybe I should revisit it though... another friend recommended the same thing (moving into the high school level books) and I just wasn't convinced.  Thanks for the good feedback on this.  More to ponder...

Thanks, Ordinary. I really appreciate your thoughts on this. I picked up the General Science book recently at our local homeschool store to browse; it's so big that it scared me! Maybe I should revisit it though... another friend recommended the same thing (moving into the high school level books) and I just wasn't convinced. Thanks for the good feedback on this. More to ponder...

We go slow. If we do not finish it, then no biggie. It isn't like the topic is going away. Ds is going to get it again in high school, but perhaps at that point it can be AP chem. Honestly, I would not consider the Apologia high school level. It is not substantial enough for that. It took a few chapters, but now Ds is moving along at a much closer to high school pace (two weeks-ish per chapter). He totally took me by surprise how much it is working for him! Good luck!

We go slow. If we do not finish it, then no biggie. It isn't like the topic is going away. Ds is going to get it again in high school, but perhaps at that point it can be AP chem. Honestly, I would not consider the Apologia high school level. It is not substantial enough for that. It took a few chapters, but now Ds is moving along at a much closer to high school pace (two weeks-ish per chapter). He totally took me by surprise how much it is working for him! Good luck!

Thank you!  I really appreciate your thoughts!

I so had to laugh at this!  My son definitely knows more about space and astronomy than either of the books we're currently using, but he has enjoyed the labs.  I'm looking to do at least half a year in Marine Biology next year and not sure what we'll do after that.

I had considered the Noeo biology for next year, but now I'm second guessing that based on your comments.  I assume the Physics III is aimed more at the high school level?

For our summer astronomy project, I'm hoping to supplement with a lot of field trips, and the projects in these skill sheets from CPO: http://www.cposcience.com/home/Portals/2/Media/post_sale_content/ESN/Ancillaries/U6/U6_Skill_and_Practice_Sheets/ESN_U6_SS.pdf. I think she can handle most of this math. I'm excited about trying it out.

Noeo says their level II programs are for grades 4-6, and level III for grades 7-8. (At least, that's the case for physics; can't remember for sure about biology.) Level II has been fine for 4th grade, and she has enjoyed it a lot, but for a science-y kid who reads well, level III may be a better fit. Level II uses a lot of Usborne resources; dd loves those but can blow through them in a minute. I know that for us, the Level III writing assignments are too much, and we will almost certainly have to slow down a bit, as the reading will be more of a challenge. But I'm thinking that I'd rather see her challenged on fewer topics than breeze through, IYKWIM. Like the pp said, she will encounter this material again, at least once, at the high school level.

But that plan isn't set in stone yet. I'm really struggling with this one. I was an English lit major, for crying out loud!