Menu

Dd having a worst finals ever moment.

Lolly

DD woke up yesterday morning and went in for her first final. The school had scheduled all of the 8 a.m. comp classes in the one writing lab which holds all of 25 students. So, they were given the assignment and told they could do it at home. She goes home and studies for her Prob and Stats final. Starts feeling sick at her stomach, so she eats a little something thinking she is just hungry. Goes to school to take her second final of the day. And spends the entire time in and out of the restroom tossing her cookies. (She takes tests in a lab, so she isn't with teacher who has no idea she is sick.) Just stops even trying because she is not able to think straight, much less spend time actually at the desk answering problems. Goes and tells teacher she is unable to finish it. Calls me to come pick her up. I bring her home. She spent the rest of the day being sick. No food. Only the tiniest sips of liquid. Even on anti nausea meds, she can't stop puking. She emailed her teacher about the final she has today. He is elderly. He doesn't use the computer system. At. All. Add to her problems, she threw her back out dry heaving. She only needs a 50% on this test to keep an A. She is able to drink and eat a little this morning, but feels awful. Probably dehydrated, but can't consume much at a time yet. And, I will be driving her to her final in just a little while because the professor doesn't use emails. The math teacher, she is just out of luck. She saw the final. Not allowed to make it up. She will just have to retake that class most likely. At least she looks somewhat human today? And, that is it. These two days held all her finals. She was able to get the paper done for comp class, but it isn't her best work. 

oh no! how stressful & disappointing. I think there is wiggle room for illness during finals.  Speak with the department advisor if the prof is not avail or helpful. They can often arrange a make up exam rather than having to retake the course...

I hope we're not in the same boat. Dd has her last final tomorrow & she was up barfing last night.  Ugh. 

Well, I sat in the parking lot and read while she took her final this morning. She managed a 58. She needed a 50, so she kept her A. She isn't willing to talk to her Prob and STats professor. He is...not very nice. She was one of 5 in the class of 30 who had a passing grade going into the final. The class average going into the final is about a 45. She said she answered 8 of the 24 problems and doesn't think she would be able to pass it even if she had been well. He does his best to make things...difficult, and she has issues with reading and interpreting what the problems mean in the first place. I am actually surprised she was passing in the first place. I figure that will most likely drop her grade to a D. Not going to take her to the doctor for a 24 hour stomach bug. 

Yes, this sort of thing is horrid, but so goes it. The professors I had never took any kind of excuse other than hospitalization.  

I try to be a little more compassionate, and will take a doctor's excuse or a note from work.

This is real life though.  Several years ago I got word that my father had passed away, and I had to go teach a class two hours later. I was already planning to fly out the next day and spend several weeks there because I had been told that he might last a few more days, but not longer.  I didn't have any more leave than I had already filed for, so I just managed.  It was tough of course.

Update!!! The professor contacted her and told her he decided to allow her to retake the final. (Guess the proctor in the lab told him how sick she was.) She didn't really want to take it again, but gave in to my stern stare of consternation and raised eyebrow with no words spoken. She took it this morning. Thought she was ready for it going in, but thought she had failed it coming out. Received a nice solid B. She is very happy at the moment. (She is a bit uncertain in the classroom due to her LDs.)

Update!!! The professor contacted her and told her he decided to allow her to retake the final. (Guess the proctor in the lab told him how sick she was.) She didn't really want to take it again, but gave in to my stern stare of consternation and raised eyebrow with no words spoken. She took it this morning. Thought she was ready for it going in, but thought she had failed it coming out. Received a nice solid B. She is very happy at the moment. (She is a bit uncertain in the classroom due to her LDs.)

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: