Menu

Medication, redistribution; ethics and legalities. Rant Warning.

AimeeM

First let me say that I understand, and agree, that there is no safe way to redistribute unused/partially used medication. I get it - it isn't practical and, more than that, it isn't SAFE.

With that said, it is slightly nauseating that my husband has a $3,000, three month supply, of a diabetes medication sitting almost untouched in the medicine cabinet, that he was taken off of, and we have no recourse but to destroy it. I know there are people out there that could never afford it and it makes me feel sick to think about it. 

Rant over.

First let me say that I understand, and agree, that there is no safe way to redistribute unused/partially used medication. I get it - it isn't practical and, more than that, it isn't SAFE.

With that said, it is slightly nauseating that my husband has a $3,000, three month supply, of a diabetes medication sitting almost untouched in the medicine cabinet, that he was taken off of, and we have no recourse but to destroy it. I know there are people out there that could never afford it and it makes me feel sick to think about it. 

Rant over.

Yep. I work in a nursing home. The amount of medicine we throw away is disgusting. Every time a resident is admitted to the hospital, we're legally required to toss all their medication and order it again when they come back (often within a few days). And, of course, every time their medication changes, which happens all the time.

Aimee - Have you checked with your doctor's office? If any of it is unopened (still sealed), they may be able to take it for a patient who can't afford it. My doctor's office did this. I have no idea as to the legalities of doing so, which may vary state to state.

The reproductive endocrinologist did the same thing here. Took any meds you wanted to give up.

Yep. I work in a nursing home. The amount of medicine we throw away is disgusting. Every time a resident is admitted to the hospital, we're legally required to toss all their medication and order it again when they come back (often within a few days). And, of course, every time their medication changes, which happens all the time.

It drives me to distraction that every single time there is a hospital visit, every medicine is changed.  I don't toss all Dad's medications anymore.  I found that if I keep them long enough the odds are he will be put back on them again.  Too bad you can't do the same in the nursing home.  Of course, yours are all in sealed packets with the date and time of day, right?  

Aimee - Have you checked with your doctor's office? If any of it is unopened (still sealed), they may be able to take it for a patient who can't afford it. My doctor's office did this. I have no idea as to the legalities of doing so, which may vary state to state.

My dad called the local CVS and the doctors office to see what he could do with the meds and they both said it was illegal to give away the prescription meds.  Good to know this might not be the case in every area... maybe we should have looked into taking it across state lines ;)

I'd be tempted to find someone locally to give it to, but then if they have a bad reaction to the meds, you run the risk of getting into legal trouble.  It's so frustrating.  I wish there was some way to dispense medications that would allow them to be reused if they aren't taken.  My dh has been on a range of bipolar and COPD meds over the years, and the value of the meds we've had to dispose of is horrible.  

I don't know if this would work, but you might want to contact some medical missions groups.

DH has friends who save the stuff remaining in vials of very expensive meds to take with them on mission trips.  Normally, these things would just be thrown away....but at thousands per vial, these docs have found a better use.

I had some fantastically expensive medications left over when my father passed. I could not bear to throw them away.

After some digging around I found a nursing association that would take them for their indigent or otherwise cash-strapped patients. Was this entirely legal? I dunno. Was it ethical? No doubt in my mind.

Bill

My dad called the local CVS and the doctors office to see what he could do with the meds and they both said it was illegal to give away the prescription meds.  Good to know this might not be the case in every area... maybe we should have looked into taking it across state lines ;)

Yes, because it was CVS I asked here. It must be about state law.

It drives me to distraction that every single time there is a hospital visit, every medicine is changed.  I don't toss all Dad's medications anymore.  I found that if I keep them long enough the odds are he will be put back on them again.  Too bad you can't do the same in the nursing home.  Of course, yours are all in sealed packets with the date and time of day, right?  

No - punch cards with bubbles for individual pills, but no specific date/time assigned to them. I have worked in a place with the sealed/dated/timed packets, though.

No - punch cards with bubbles for individual pills, but no specific date/time assigned to them. I have worked in a place with the sealed/dated/timed packets, though.

I wish I could get them to do that with Dad's medications now that he's home :p  They gave us his next day's medications when I brought him home and it was like a dream.  No irritating Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Morning, Noon, Evening, Night boxes.  I really hate handling all his stuff, just doesn't seem healthy.

I wish I could get them to do that with Dad's medications now that he's home :p  They gave us his next day's medications when I brought him home and it was like a dream.  No irritating Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Morning, Noon, Evening, Night boxes.  I really hate handling all his stuff, just doesn't seem healthy.

Ask the pharmacy for it. I'm not sure if they'll do it for individuals, but I have seen regular old pharmacies like Walgreens package pills that way.

Ask the pharmacy for it. I'm not sure if they'll do it for individuals, but I have seen regular old pharmacies like Walgreens package pills that way.

His come from the VA.  At least they're sent through the mail, so I don't even talk to a pharmacist except at his pharma appointments.  I think I will ask her about that though. 

It's opened. He took it for about a week before being taken off of it in favor of another medication. There is still so MUCH of it left, though :(