Menu

Quick Feedback To Prima or Not To Prima

happyhappyjoyjoy

Hi,

One of my regular Homeschool stores has a 25% off sale that ends at midnight.  I was planning on starting DS2 on Prima Latina in Jan. and then moving to LC1 in the fall.  We've also decided to start Pimsleur Spanish as a family.  That will be conversational listening only.  Now I'm trying to decide if I should buy PL or not.  Thoughts on pros and cons of doing or waiting until the fall and just starting with LC1?

Thanks,

Christina

Just my two cents....my kids started with Prima Latina in third, then did LC in 4th and on to the Form Series. Personally, and I am not a real strong language person, I think Prima Latina is a great introduction. It is gentle, but it really starts in on vocabulary and the more review you get with the vocabulary, the better off you are. For me, with this Latin thing, the more  you can get it in layers  - PL is a good intro, LC1 gets a little harder and then the Form Series is pretty tough, but with the other two as foundations, it isn't as hard as it could be. I feel like my kids are pretty strong in Latin because they got a good, solid, slow foundation. I don't think Latin is one of those things you can rush through.

Just my two cents....my kids started with Prima Latina in third, then did LC in 4th and on to the Form Series. Personally, and I am not a real strong language person, I think Prima Latina is a great introduction. It is gentle, but it really starts in on vocabulary and the more review you get with the vocabulary, the better off you are. For me, with this Latin thing, the more you can get it in layers - PL is a good intro, LC1 gets a little harder and then the Form Series is pretty tough, but with the other two as foundations, it isn't as hard as it could be. I feel like my kids are pretty strong in Latin because they got a good, solid, slow foundation. I don't think Latin is one of those things you can rush through.

I agree!

Just my two cents....my kids started with Prima Latina in third, then did LC in 4th and on to the Form Series. Personally, and I am not a real strong language person, I think Prima Latina is a great introduction. It is gentle, but it really starts in on vocabulary and the more review you get with the vocabulary, the better off you are. For me, with this Latin thing, the more  you can get it in layers  - PL is a good intro, LC1 gets a little harder and then the Form Series is pretty tough, but with the other two as foundations, it isn't as hard as it could be. I feel like my kids are pretty strong in Latin because they got a good, solid, slow foundation. I don't think Latin is one of those things you can rush through.

I have two kids in the Forms, and I wholeheartedly agree with the above.

I purchased Prima Latina for my son, but didn't start using it until this fall when he was 10.  We've zipped through most of it, and he loves Latin!  We enjoy having the DVD instruction, although the pronunciation provided by the instructor varies a bit.  On Friday I ordered the complete First Form Latin set for 50% off with a coupon code provided by Homeschool Giveaways for all Memoria Press Latin products.  (Sale ends Monday, so you still have a day to use the coupon code!)  The salesperson I spoke with at Memoria Press stated First Form Latin was the next appropriate level for my son.  We like the format in Prima Latina, so we expect a similar approach with FFL.  I watched a video clip of the next instructor, a male, and I am concerned that he speaks a bit quickly; however, I can always play the lesson back to ensure I hear correctly.  I've heard wonderful things about Visual Latin, so I may supplement FFL with it.

I think Prima Latina would be an excellent introduction to Latin for your 3rd grader.

How does your older child like First Form Latin?

I agree with KrissaK for the OP.

GeorgiaH - Please feel free to do First Form Latin (FFL) at whatever pace your son can handle. I really like LC1 after Prima because it builds directly on Prima & is in a very similar format. The Forms Series is a bit "older" (as in older kids - it is a newer product) in format and has a LOT of writing. If you find FFL too much, too quickly and slowing down doesn't help, don't be afraid to 'back up' to Latina Christiana. (I like the FFL video guy, but he DOES speak really fast. The Forms series moves quickly, IMO. We are really glad for the slow & steady intro of Prima & LC1.)

I have one kid in Second Form Latin, one kid on her second go-round of LC1 (really young the first time she did Prima & LC1 with her sister & she did them mostly orally), and one kid on her first go-round of LC1 after doing Prima last year. DD#2 & dd#3 will do FFL at their own pace next year -- probably taking more than a year to finish it. There is a LOT of writing.

I purchased Prima Latina for my son, but didn't start using it until this fall when he was 10.  We've zipped through most of it, and he loves Latin!  We enjoy having the DVD instruction, although the pronunciation provided by the instructor varies a bit.  On Friday I ordered the complete First Form Latin set for 50% off with a coupon code provided by Homeschool Giveaways for all Memoria Press Latin products.  (Sale ends Monday, so you still have a day to use the coupon code!)  The salesperson I spoke with at Memoria Press stated First Form Latin was the next appropriate level for my son.  We like the format in Prima Latina, so we expect a similar approach with FFL.  I watched a video clip of the next instructor, a male, and I am concerned that he speaks a bit quickly; however, I can always play the lesson back to ensure I hear correctly.  I've heard wonderful things about Visual Latin, so I may supplement FFL with it.

I think Prima Latina would be an excellent introduction to Latin for your 3rd grader.

How does your older child like First Form Latin?

can you share how you got the code?

thanks

I have a 5th grader in FFL.  He did 2/3 of LC1 in school last year.  He likes it and we take two weeks per lesson, because I also have him in French.

Which comes first, Prima Latina, then Latin Christina 1, First Form Latin, Second Form Latin, third and forth and Henles?

(i had a brain stem stroke in May, I am a little slow, sorry)

I was going to start Lively Latin but from the sounds of it, Memoria Press is the way to go?

Which comes first, Prima Latina, then Latin Christina 1, First Form Latin, Second Form Latin, third and forth and Henles?

(i had a brain stem stroke in May, I am a little slow, sorry)

I was going to start Lively Latin but from the sounds of it, Memoria Press is the way to go?

You have them in the correct order .

Which program you use depends on what you are looking to do, the age & ability level of your kids, and your comfortable-ness with Latin, IMO.

Some people like & learn well from the translation-first approach. Some want more fun & games than a get 'er done grammar-first method.

If you do First through Fourth Form, I believe you don't have to complete Henle 1 because you actually do it during the Form Series. So, you move onto Henle 2 after Fourth Form, I think.

My thoughts exactly.