Menu

Crochet supplies for teen

Night Elf

Dd16 taught herself to crochet. Today she made slippers that don't look too bad. I think we bought her a beginning kit with one set of hooks. What can I buy her? How do I choose yarn? Should I get different sized hooks? What about pattern books? She likes to make little things as gifts for friends. She was thinking of an afghan for herself but feels it's too expensive of a project.

You could get her a case with all the different sizes of crochet hooks. Or you could get her a pattern book and some yarn to make one of the items in the book....make sure it's the right size yarn. I've seen pattern cards that had a number of different crocheted flowers that could be used for hair clips, embellishments, etc. That's another fun idea.

Afghans do add up. But they are soooo cozy and a real gift of love. She could make some baby blankets? Baby yarn often has a pattern on the back of the wrapper.

Crocheting is a picky craft for some people. There is only one brand of hooks I like and my mom can't stand them. I cannot work with wool or wool blends due to a wool reaction I didn't realize I had until I worked with it for a hat. If you want to get her something to unwrap then figure out the brand and sizes of her hooks and buy her a few others. Then get her a gift card for buying yarn and other stuff. There are tons of free patterns online so I would skip the pattern book myself.

An afghan is an unwieldy and frustrating for her to start with, I would recommend she check Ravelry.com for fun patterns. One can sort them by how difficult they are.

IMO one ought not buy yarn unless one has a specific project in mind, that leads to yarn hoarding. I do admire a nice yarn hoard but it does increase costs.

Ah I remember those days of yarn only for one project at a time. That's 2+ bins of yarn ago though.

A gift card to JoAnn might be great. If you think a scarf or cowl or fingerless mitts might be in her future perhaps you could get a ball or two of a nice worsted weight yarn to wrap. Worsted weight is usually designated with a 4 on the label; most brands in craft stores are labeled that way. My current favorite is Lion Brand Heartland--love the colors and it's so so soft. Does she have the little accessories like a tapestry needle for weaving in stray ends or stitch markers or a retractable measuring tape? I personally prefer those barrettes that you press in the middle to open and shut for crochet stitch markers. Maybe a little kit with those small items and a pair of tiny scissors?

When I first started to crochet (around 18 months ago) I enjoyed making dishcloths/facecloths. There are several patterns available for free Scarfs and headbands are also fun. What if you would look for a few free patterns you could print then buy the yarn and hooks for those. You know her style and what colors she likes so I think it would be easy to find something she would enjoy making.

Hope this helps

Linda

I spent some time yesterday at the big box-like bookstore looking through amigurumi books I thought might work for my dd. Then I took the book to the big name fabric store in town and picked out hooks and "bonbons" of yarn to get her started. All this stuff could be returned or exchanged if needed, of course.

If she is interested in an afghan you might look for one made of separate blocks. It is a nice way to try different stitches or patterns, it is way more portable, and the size is flexible. The con is you have to are the pieces together in the end which is tedious.

Beth, if you're looking for a book Crochet One-Skein Wonders might be good. It has a variety of smaller, fairly simple projects. You could probably find similar projects online for free but sometimes it's nice to have a book for inspiration--easier to curl up on the couch and flip through to see the pretties.

How about this crochet hook set? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B2CCA6W/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1417099591&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40. They're smooth, and they have ergonomic and color/coded handles. They're my and my dd14's favorites.

A selection of yarn from knitpicks, which is having a big sale right now, might be another idea.

I love those hooks and wish I had the whole set. 

Do you think your dd would enjoy making amigurumi?  There are loads of pattern books -- you might pick up some from the library, and give your dd an Amazon card so she can buy the books she likes best.

One great thing about amigurumi is that you can use inexpensive acrylic yarn to make them.

Okay, she told me she has through size K. What am I looking for then? I like the idea of a gift card to joann's but I still need something for her to unwrap. The book looks good but it says there isn't a lot for beginners. I'm not sure how much she can do since she's self taught. I was pretty impressed that she did the slippers. Are those normally beginning level?

These look fun.  I agree with getting a tote bag for supplies, one with a separate bag or box for hooks would be great. 

http://www.kimwerker.com/books/

She can find videos to teach her most of what she needs to know to do more complicated projects and the little animals are usually pretty easy.  I made one as my first project- a whale.  :)

Here are some examples of the critters she can make:

http://greatamigurumi.blogspot.com/

If she likes to make little gifts then having a selection of yarn that is all the same brand/size but different colors will help. 

I think a gc that would cover the cost of enough yarn to make the afghan would be nice too.  We knitter/crochet folks love to be able to indulge in stash purchases. 

Most items are made of the basic stitches. If she can single, half double, double crochet, and read a pattern she can tackle a lot of projects.

If she is fairly new at this I would discourage a full afghan right now. Nothing like getting 30" into a 72" blanket to realize she has drop the edge stitches and it isn't square. Maybe something the size of a lap or baby blanket.

Hooks up to K is a good starting set. I would get L, M/N (9mm), N/P (10mm) if she is interested in those bigger projects.

Okay, she told me she has through size K. What am I looking for then? I like the idea of a gift card to joann's but I still need something for her to unwrap. The book looks good but it says there isn't a lot for beginners. I'm not sure how much she can do since she's self taught. I was pretty impressed that she did the slippers. Are those normally beginning level?

Slippers--depends on the pattern. Some are easier than others. I don't want to twist your arm on *this* book but I think there are enough easier patterns. Plus it gives a good variety of projects that she can see what kinds of things are possible with crochet. As to being a beginner--really it depends on her personality. As long as she's not told "that pattern is too hard for you so don't try it" she can probably tackle anything that she's willing to learn. With so many tutorials on youtube it makes it that much easier. If she's the type not to get super discouraged and give up if something doesn't work out the first time, but rather is someone who takes the mistake as a challenge to learn something new, she will be just fine.

Examples from the book: Boutique Weave Scarf is just alternating double crochet with chain spaces. It looks hard because it uses a variegated yarn--Red Heart Boutique--that lends extra patterning to the texture formed by the stitches. There is a Cozy Ear Warmer that is made of single crochet with some increases and decreases. Very plain, but fancied up with a crocheted flower motif.

Oh, that might be an idea: get the book, a skein of the RH Boutique Treasure and a new, egonomic design K hook and present it as a kit?

ETA: another idea would be a nice project bag.

I'll have her look at Ravelry. I was just hoping to find something to surprise her with. So far I only have one gift for her that she asked for after I bought it so it's no longer a surprise.

If you want to buy her something nice I like Madeline Tosh Merino or Malabrigo yarn. They are soft and beautiful.

I wouldn't buy a book, she can learn everything she needs on youtube.

I do like these

http://www.amazon.com/Cornerstone-Products-Crochet-Hooks-Lavender/dp/B000SKOS32 They are light up crochet hooks. :lol: I actually like the hooks so I use them even when it is not dark.

Crocheting is a picky craft for some people. There is only one brand of hooks I like and my mom can't stand them. I cannot work with wool or wool blends due to a wool reaction I didn't realize I had until I worked with it for a hat. If you want to get her something to unwrap then figure out the brand and sizes of her hooks and buy her a few others. Then get her a gift card for buying yarn and other stuff. There are tons of free patterns online so I would skip the pattern book myself.

Ah I remember those days of yarn only for one project at a time. That's 2+ bins of yarn ago though.

I have gloves that I wear for knitting and crochet. They can be found by the needles at craft stores. I get eczema flares when I knit/crochet, I don't know why because it happens with all sorts of yarn...I can only guess it is just the yarn running through my hand.

I am not denying my yarn hoard I was just saying that buying yarn for projects is a better idea, I don't always follow that rule. :lol: