Menu

Thanksgiving cooking tips

Mimm

Anyone interested in this? :)

My tip is, cook your turkey upside down. My sister was in charge of the cooking last year with barely any help from me (I had a two week old at the time) and she did this accidentally and it turned out really well. The breast meat on the turkey which is usually pretty dry soaks in the juices and was super moist and flavorful. The only down side is that it was a bit flattened so not as pretty. :) But no one complained because it was so yummy (and she may have murdered us... she was a bit stressed). ;)

My question is... if you happen to not own a flour sifter, is there another way to sift flour for the once a year pie crusts I need to make?

I bake a lot... and <gasp> I don't sift flour.  I DO stir it up with a wish, and I DO weigh it.  But, if you don't have a sifter, a mesh strainer will work. I'm talking about something like this.

We do turkey 2 ways, rotisserie (SOOO yummy) and smoked (dh's favorite).  Both are very tender and juicy.  

Best tip:  Keep it simple.

My question is... if you happen to not own a flour sifter, is there another way to sift flour for the once a year pie crusts I need to make?

Do you own a mesh strainer? Dump the flour in a mesh strainer over a bowl, tap it gently and occasionally shake it until all the flour has gone through the holes.

If you're really in a pinch, mix your dry ingredients and then stir with a whisk to make them fluffy. That's not as good, but it's good enough.

dh carves the turkey in the kitchen - so he doesn't "do" a presentation.  we've been roasting it upside down for so long I'd forgotten about it.  he also cooks his stuffing in the bird.  I grew up with boxed, and am always sad to hear about boxed, now that I know what I missed growing up.

I roast chicken (rubbed with olive oil and herbs) upside down, on a rack, too.  very moist as the juices in the back dribble down through the breast meat.

Now I'm picturing you snuggling up to your mashed potatoes and reading them a bedtime story.

It certainly would be very cozy and warm, LOL.

When I grew up, we did not have a microwave. My grandma cooked a meal for us, and then wrapped the pot with the potatoes in newspaper and wool blankets so they would keep warm until my mom came home from work. Wonderfully low-tech.

I bake a lot... and <gasp> I don't sift flour.  I DO stir it up with a wish, and I DO weigh it.  But, if you don't have a sifter, a mesh strainer will work. I'm talking about something like this.

We do turkey 2 ways, rotisserie (SOOO yummy) and smoked (dh's favorite).  Both are very tender and juicy.  

Best tip:  Keep it simple.

I think any food stirred up with wishes will taste wonderful. :)

And, yes, keep it simple. Not every thing on the table must be homemade--Sister Shubert rolls in the freezer section are my go-to breads these days. And canned cranberries. I love the canned stuff. :)