Menu

Home beer brewing kits...need info

Hikin' Mama

One thing I do know, is that the quality of the Yeast is critical.  

You might also research some of the DIY options.  I have a friend who used a 5 gallon bucket with a spigot on the bottom.  You still need to buy some stuff.   It seems sort of like cheese making.  You can start with a small amount of equipment.  Then when you get into it, you add more.  

I know nothing about this other than it came up in a conversation recently, and a person who seemed to know what they were talking about said it was a VERY expensive hobby.

Like all hobbies, there are ways of doing homebrewing on the cheap--or not. 

My husband is a homebrewer.  He began with a basic kit purchased decades ago from a homebrew supplier.  It is not a bad idea to go to a store if there is one in your area and have a conversation on the quality of ingredients in the kit. Alternately, the homebrew store may also sell cider kits (alcoholic cider) which gives another option.

A friend - who's a serious home brewer - recommended a Mr. Beer kit as a cost-effective and relatively easy entry into the hobby for DH.  He did also emphasize that it can be an expensive and time-consuming hobby, and that he'd end up replacing all the bits and pieces included if he decided to get more serious.  I can't give you any specific feedback, though, because we haven't actually used it yet (oops).

I love the look of the one J-rap posted!

I got a basic Mr. Beer kit for hubby years ago.  It is a great intro to small batch beer making. IF the hobby takes off, there are home brew clubs, stores, etc. and lots of info on making all sorts of beers. Hubby now has large kegs and glass jugs with various beers, meads, stouts, etc. in various stages of production. 

Ditto Northern Brewer.  My husband has been a home brewer for several years and that's where he buys most of his stuff.  Sometimes he buys from our local home brewing store.  

It can be pricey but I don't think it's horrible once you have all the supplies.  My husband brews a few times a year and does 2-3 different beers at a time.  Cheaper than buying that much craft beer at the liquor store!!   The only time-consuming part I've noticed is brew day and bottling day (when he used to bottle…he has three kegs that were given to him so now he just puts his brews in those and his beer is on-tap).  

Dh's only request on our wedding registry was a Mr. Beer kit. (I made sure he got it!). He used it for several batches and decided he enjoyed homebrewing enough to replace the kit with higher quality parts, but the kit itself was fine for beginning with. You could check to see if you have a local brewing store too. Every one that I have been into has employees who are really excited about home brewing, can understand not wanting to spend a fortune before you know if you like it, and could help you pick out basic necessities.

This is the kit my Dh uses:

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/equipment1.html

I also highly recommend getting in touch with your friendly, local brewer's supply store.  We have a great one here locally and Dh has gotten so much valuable help and advice from them.  They'll hold events, tastings, lectures, all kinds of stuff.  

Just be prepared for him and honestly, your whole family, to get hooked on brewing.  It's a mix of science and cooking and is TONS of fun!