Menu

Someone start a controversial thread for me

creekland

I'm "stuck" at school on a bomb threat day.  There's no real bomb, of course - though the police and dogs are all around because they have to be - so I'm not the least bit afraid.  I am, however, super bored as half the kids (roughly) don't show up on these days and I have official orders to not teach the daily (math) lessons.  Instead the kids are working on homework.  I offered to answer questions, but I seriously doubt there will be many.

My grandmother passed away yesterday (a blessing for her to be honest) and it's not exactly a good health day for me, so I was looking forward to the mental distractions school would provide.  The timing of this bomb threat is NOT helpful.  It makes it a LONG, SLOW day.  :glare:

So... what sort of thread can move quickly enough to keep me entertained?  Usually I can't follow those types of threads due to their speed... today I would relish one!

How do the kids know not to show up?

A letter got sent home to parents last night detailing the threat (sort of - they keep some details private to try to catch the kid(s) responsible).  Legally they must inform the public just as we HAVE to have the police (local and state) and dogs, etc, even though everyone knows it's just kids messing around as they have done for generations.

I didn't come to school yesterday due to getting a fasting blood test done in the morning and wanting to get yard work done on a nice weather day.

I SHOULD have checked my school e-mail, but it totally slipped my mind - esp after learning about my grandmother, talking with my mom a bit, and calling my boys to pass on the news, etc.  If I had checked it, it wouldn't have been a surprise to me either.  It'd still be a long, boring day, but not a surprise.  I could have brought a book or something with me.  Normally on math days I'm teaching the full day, so there's no need to bring reading materials.

Hey - 8:45 - the first class is over.  Only four more to go - and oh goodie - I have prep now (like I need that today!).  Last week I didn't get a single prep as they used me to cover for other absent teachers with not-so-great classes (other subs have difficulty controlling these classes and/or don't know the material, etc).  Today they aren't short subs/teachers.  My lucky day!  (Of course, chances are I'd be doing nothing in those classes too, so maybe this is better?)

I don't recall having a single bomb threat in our homeschool.  The things our kids miss...

Use the prep period to go to the school library and borrow something to read! Sorry about your grandmother.

Hmm, I'm feeling really dumb right now.  I should have thought of this!  Instead, I went to visit a good friend/co-worker who is a bc survivor (10 years!) as I know she has a 2nd block prep too.  We caught up on a ton of things, so that made it a nice time - and time that flew by quickly.

But I'll regret not having stopped by the library too.

Thanks to those offering condolences for my grandma.  I'm going to miss her and her house, but she had no chance of ever getting back to being herself or living in her house.  For the last two years she's been asking to die (in a nursing home, unable to walk and lately even unable to feed herself).  She's totally changed my perspective about how we "let" people end their lives (or don't allow it).

She provided great memories for me.  She actually saved many of the games and toys my mom (and her 5 siblings) played with and let us grandkids - then my boys - play with them too.  When someone told her they could be worth money as antiques she waved them off and said she'd rather see the kids PLAY with the toys.  It was a neat feeling watching my boys play with toys my mom enjoyed too.  I've saved some of them for their kids.

Yes, I have a ton of great memories and I expect the funeral to bring loads more back.

May grandma be happier and more free now though.

Ever read any Psmith by Wodehouse? You can download PDFs of the books. 

I discovered them at 3 am one night when I couldn't sleep...

School frowns upon our downloading things for personal use.  If it were my computer I could, but their networked computers are close to reaching capacity with all the students we have.

It was a good suggestion though.

Thanks all - and I'm down to one more class.  It's Stats, so I just MIGHT have enough students in there to go over t test notes.  The higher academic kids are usually the ones who don't stay home for bomb threats.

With the couple of threads that were created - it's been rather a fun day after all!  I love the Hive.  Collectively we can do anything I suspect.