Menu

paper planners

My year of "breaking free" from paper planners is not going well. I don't use planners to plan but to record.

I like paper planners. I like them to be beautiful. I used Well-Planned Day for two years in a row but don't like all the random forms.

What do you suggest? Bonus points if it is pleasing to look at and doesn't have dates written in yet.

Emily

Currently I am using this one from Rod & Staff.  It is undated.

https://www.milestonebooks.com/item/1-65680/?list=Teacher_Helps

I have also put together my own using the planning pages from Tina's Dynamic Homeschool Plus.  She also makes a point of using undated planner pages.

http://www.tinasdynamichomeschoolplus.com/free-printables/7-step-curriculum-planner/

Thanks for the info on bullet journals, but I'm really looking for more of a homeschool planner; I just use it in reverse. I do like the layout of a week over a two-page spread.

I'll look into the ones mentioned. Thanks. I love being able to look back and see what we've done and what needs work. I find computer-based planners too distracting.

Thanks for the info on bullet journals, but I'm really looking for more of a homeschool planner; I just use it in reverse. I do like the layout of a week over a two-page spread.

I'll look into the ones mentioned. Thanks. I love being able to look back and see what we've done and what needs work. I find computer-based planners too distracting.

I do the same - my "plan" is on a different sheet of paper, and I just record in the datebook what *actually happened.* At the end of the year, it's VERY useful in constructing a yearly summary.

(I used to teach high school and actually did my lesson plans that way.)

I think this one works nice as a "we did this" planner.  I don't like that I have to buy a new one every year, but it is pretty and pleasing to the eye.

http://www.currclick.com/product/91522/Homeschool-Planner-20142015

This one is also pretty, more teachers plan book looking, but still perfectly usable as a planner used in reverse.  I like that I only had to buy it once and can print a new copy every year.

http://store.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=95&products_id=281

I actually combined pages from the 2 of these books into my "planner".  I should note, I have a very affordable to operate Brother Inkjet printer, printing may not be economical for you (if it isn't, I highly suggest investing in a Brother Inkjet that you can use dirt cheap generic ink in as soon as you can I have one that is still going strong but I replaced it with a duplex version this year and couldn't be happier).

I don't think this is what you are looking for but I thought I would throw it out there.  My Student Logbook

These are designed for students but I use one for myself.

I make a word document with possible lessons and then record in the logbook what we actually do.  Instead of check marks in the boxes, I write in lesson numbers, page numbers, or the general topic covered that day.  I use the opposite blank page to make more detailed notes.

I started a bullet journal/planner this fall.  I loved it and it was pretty.  But, I lost interest within the month.  I have always used Donna Young's planners - they're simple and they work well for me.  I wish I could just understand that 'if it works, don't fix it', but sometimes I get antsy.   :tongue_smilie:

After my failed attempt at digital last year, I've switched over to this and have really loved it.  It gives me a lot of freedom to customize and save the pages before printing, and while you wouldn't have to print it out, I wanted to; like you, I record our plans after the fact, not before, and I wanted pen-and-paper.  The editable pdf file is a one-time $20 fee, so while there are still printing and binding costs for me, it was a low-risk purchase and I'm so delighted that it's reusable.  

I printed out a separate planner for each of my school-age children (though you can also choose to record everyone together), then I re-ordered them to my liking before binding them into one book at Staples, so my only complaint so far is that the page numbering on the pdf file isn't editable.  But this is a super-minor complaint.  I just divided the children's sections with colored card stock so I can skip around easily from child to child.  So far I've really loved organizing my records with it, and it's pretty, too.  :001_smile:

I started a bullet journal/planner this fall.  I loved it and it was pretty.  But, I lost interest within the month.  I have always used Donna Young's planners - they're simple and they work well for me.  I wish I could just understand that 'if it works, don't fix it', but sometimes I get antsy.   :tongue_smilie:

This.  But it may not be the "pretty" you're after.  Nothing ever satisfies me, so I make my own using her free resources.  I also use the planner the same way you do - for records.

I've been using a planner from A Plan in Place this year, and I've been very happy with it. It's customizeable, so you can have the boxes and labels that you want (which is huge for me), and the dates are not pre-filled in. However, it is just black and white, and so not particularly "pretty." But I'm sure with some washi tape and stickers, you could make just about any planner as spiffy as you wanted/needed it to be. :) (Great, now I have a sudden desire to pretty up my planner!)

I think I have my planner to print - the Tanglewood Corebook, which I bought back in 2012 and can print out. I'm going to print it out and bind it (so I don't feel the need to keep on updating it). I think binding is really important for my nothing-is-ever-good-enough personality!