Menu

Chicago or Hilton Head

Alice

We're talking about a family vacation next year. We'd tie it into a medical conference, which is why those two locations. Hilton Head would be late May (Memorial Day weekend). Chicago would be early Sept (Labor Day). 

We've been to Chicago but not with kids and not in about 18 years. We've never been to Hilton Head. We all like the beach and nature/hiking. (But we will have another beach trip in May with my parents.) We also like big cities and museums and are sort of foodie wanna be's. 

Help us choose!

I like them both.

When I was a kid we used to go to Hilton Head a lot (for medical conferences/family vacations).  For your kids' ages, it should be a lot of fun.  May would be a great time frame.

I love Chicago, and early September could either be hot or fine.  Still, to me, it's a walking city, and I think the amount of walking could be tough on a 4 and 7 year old.  

I would vote Chicago for sure with older kids, but I agree with others that the amount of walking might be a bit much for the youngest at least. You could bring a stroller, but I seem to remember lots of weird stairs in random places that might make it more hassle than usual. 

I don't think my youngest was past 7 when we went -  I remember she couldn't ride the stupid swings at Navy Pier, but other than that she loved it. We did make sure to go to Ghirardelli's and Hershey's in between museums and parks :laugh: 

Depending on the temperament and stamina of your youngest, I would really try to see if Chicago was workable, especially with a beach vacay already in the works.  

Thanks for the responses. I think our youngest could do the walking. She actually just turned 5 and by the time we went, next Sept would be almost 6. We walk a lot and she's pretty good when we go places like downtown DC. We've also been to NYC and she walked all over. 

I think I'm leaning towards Chicago. Dh grew up in the midwest and went there a lot so he's slightly more interested in Hilton Head, but his natural temperament is to enjoy the Chicago kind of vacation more (more of a city guy, plus he's an architect and loves the architecture there). It will probably come down to timing and whether we want to go in May or Sept. 

I don't think you would go wrong with either.  Hilton Head is much more than the beach - for example, the Gullah museum is a unique experience and there are some beautiful walking trails.  

I agree with Creekland - why not do both?  It sounds like you or your spouse will have a conference in both places, so why not make each of them a family getaway tied with a business trip?  We've done that too many times to count.

Of course, then you get us travel junkies who are sitting here wondering why BOTH isn't an option... ;)  They aren't overlapping.  That's when choices need to be made. 

Well, they would definitely be as we're travel junkies too. If only there weren't pesky things like budgets and limited vacation time from work. :) We did talk about possibly doing both but the reason for these locations is that they both have CME conferences for me and thus the trip is partially subsidized by my work. Only one will be covered though, so from that aspect we'd have to choose. We will likely do other travel, but would choose different places not constrained by where the CME conferences are. 

I agree with Creekland - why not do both?  It sounds like you or your spouse will have a conference in both places, so why not make each of them a family getaway tied with a business trip?  We've done that too many times to count.

Sadly, my office only covers one trip. 

If only there weren't pesky things like budgets and limited vacation time from work.

We will likely do other travel, but would choose different places not constrained by where the CME conferences are. 

Details, details.  True travel junkies work around the details in one way or another.  However, you can remain in the club since you redeemed yourself with that other sentence I quoted.  Travel without conferences to attend is more fun anyway, but yes, conferences can make a nifty excuse to go places - esp if they assist with the $$.  :coolgleamA:

Have fun whichever way you choose!

Hilton Head is beautiful that time of year, it gets hot and sticky usually mid June and rest of summer.  So, that's an ideal time for family at the beach.  There's lots of bike trails on the island.  Sea Pines has a lovely oak alley near a horse pasture to bike through.  Of course, nature trails, bird watching, dolphin cruises, and fishing.  Of course there is lots of dining and shopping if you're into that. Savannah is very close, and I think Charleston is two hours away. Nice day trips for seeing historical cities .