Menu

I need more sleep-troubleshoot my baby!

fruitofthewomb

My 9 month old doesn't sleep well at night. I nurse her to sleep around 8 pm. Lay her in bed around 9. Recently (past 2-3 wks) she started waking up every 2 hrs. She will not go back to sleep unless I nurse her. I nurse her in bed but the interruption to my sleep is really messing with me!

I have tried walking, rocking, sleeping, patting. She screams at the top of her lungs! She did this about 3 months ago for a week. It ended up being teething-and no teething remedies helped.

She is eating more solid foods & nursing less during the day-maybe 3-4 times during the day.

She is extremely attached to me. She is mama's girl!

Before this she slept 6 hrs at night then woke up after 2 hrs.

She sleeps a little later now that she wakes up. During the day she acts the same. Takes one long nap (for 2 hrs).

Anyone have advice? I feel like I am in a fog. I am so tired!!

One two hour nap doesn't seem like enough daytime sleep. It wouldn't have been for my kids. And my kids slept better the more sleep they got so maybe adding in another daytime nap and also a bit earlier bed time might help.

We do the daddy take over thing here too but usually more like 12-15 months. Might be a bit harder at 9 months.

My 3rd's sleep got worse at 9 mos. She was teething, crawling, then... It didn't get better until about 15 mos. We gave (and still do) a high fat and protein snack last thing before bath. Usually whole Greek yogurt mixed with some banana or sweet potato in one of those silicone squeeze pouches. That helped some, especially as she got older and really ate it. She's my (so far, knock wood) most challenging personality child. I chalked it up to teething, developmental milestones, and trying to make sure mama was certifiable. :grouphug:

Also, could it be reflux or a food intolerance? Your diet or hers?

And I agree with PP. I think at 9 mos, she still did an am (brief) and afternoon nap. It wasn't clockwork bc of older kid activities.

My kids sleep worse at night when they don't nap long enough. It sounds like your baby is super tired. My kids were still taking both a morning and afternoon nap until after a year although they varied on when they quit the morning nap. The oldest was nearly 2, the other two quit around 18 months.

You may also want to try an earlier bedtime, I think 9 is late for a baby. My kids went to bed around 7:15 at that age. My friend's kids around 6:30 and another friend about 7:45. When we strayed from the early bedtime my kids would wake up 2-3 hours later. It was like they missed their window for good sleep.

Hang in there, I think you will get back on track soon.

She sometimes takes a morning nap but it's very short & sometimes non-existent. I do always try though.

She has been such a difficult baby. She is a high needs baby according to dr, sears. Dad doesn't help because she flips out. He tried a few times.

I have wondered about food intolerance...I have been super relaxed with what I feed her. Maybe too relaxed...

I guess I should have asked...how do I stay same & do school work when I am running on such little sleep? Lol

One two hour nap doesn't seem like enough daytime sleep. It wouldn't have been for my kids. And my kids slept better the more sleep they got so maybe adding in another daytime nap and also a bit earlier bed time might help.

Both of my dds took one two-hour nap daily. For the longest time I thought all babies did that. :-) By the time they were a year old, both were in bed by 7 or 8, slept until 7 or 8, and went down for two-hour naps around noon. Love those two-hour naps. :-)

She sometimes takes a morning nap but it's very short & sometimes non-existent. I do always try though.

She has been such a difficult baby. She is a high needs baby according to dr, sears. Dad doesn't help because she flips out. He tried a few times.

I have wondered about food intolerance...I have been super relaxed with what I feed her. Maybe too relaxed...

I guess I should have asked...how do I stay same & do school work when I am running on such little sleep? Lol

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Could be a growth spurt, or the teething.

Does she sleep in her own bed?

Do you put her to bed for a nap (or at night), or do you wait until she seems sleepy/cranky?

Have you tried letting her cry a little? Not crying for long periods of time, but just putting her to bed and letting her cry for a few minutes.

Is she eating many solid foods?

Your description is very consistent with how dairy allergy manifests in infants.

My 10 month old has been similar to your baby. A few weeks ago, I found myself staying up with her until 3am until she was 'ready' to go to sleep. It was crazy. After that night I've been doing the (dreaded) 'cry it out.'  It has worked. We've both been sleeping a lot more.

This website was really helpful: http://www.troublesometots.com/5-reasons-your-baby-hates-the-crib/

Dad doesn't help because she flips out. He tried a few times.

This would be a serious problem. Some help is what you need.

I do not usually let babies cry, but in this situation, I would think it would be really important to get Dad able to help.  I would find it hard to have her cry, but if Dad is doing is best to comfort her, then this is what I would do.  Leave the situation, do not rush in to "help" him.  

Dad and baby learning how to work together is not going to be easy on either one of them.  Dad might want to bail out because he "doesn't know what to do," and baby is not going to be happy either.  But, in this situation a Dad comforting a baby needs to be learned.  And, will be really helpful in so many areas in the long run.

I do not usually let babies cry, but in this situation, I would think it would be really important to get Dad able to help.  I would find it hard to have her cry, but if Dad is doing is best to comfort her, then this is what I would do.  Leave the situation, do not rush in to "help" him.  

Dad and baby learning how to work together is not going to be easy on either one of them.  Dad might want to bail out because he "doesn't know what to do," and baby is not going to be happy either.  But, in this situation a Dad comforting a baby needs to be learned.  And, will be really helpful in so many areas in the long run.

Both my boys went through a stage around that age when they flipped out when daddy showed up.  Up to and including screaming until spitting up etc. It passed and we moved on to bigger and better challenges, lol. They are all three certainly peas in a pod now. I wouldn't worry. FWIW, my dh is NOT one to bail. He is the more patient and gentle parent by far.

I don't think it is unusual for babies/toddlers/preschoolers to go in and out of phases where one parent is preferred over the other.

Now that that I think about it, my 14 year old deals with 'difficult' moments much better with his dad than with me. DH is now on homework monitoring duty. I think I will just remind dh of all the nighttime duty he got out of when ds was a baby. With hindsite, I'll take a walking the floor with a crying baby over a surly teenager and geometry wars any day.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Could be a growth spurt, or the teething.

Does she sleep in her own bed?

Do you put her to bed for a nap (or at night), or do you wait until she seems sleepy/cranky?

Have you tried letting her cry a little? Not crying for long periods of time, but just putting her to bed and letting her cry for a few minutes.

Is she eating many solid foods?

She sleeps in a pack n play next to my bed. Her crib is in a bedroom with 2 of my other dd. I have never laid her in it bc she had never slept thru the night & I didn't want to disturb them.

She is usually cranky when we start sleeping process. I know it's not what your supposed to do but in my defense I have 4 others running around that have needs so I can't always do what's best/right.

I have tried letting her cry. She becomes hysterical. Always. People at church & in out family have commented about how loud & hysterical she gets. Most comment on how they have never seen anything like it.

She eats oatmeal most mornings. Rest of time it's a mixture of whatever I am eating. Bits of bread, pieces of veggies, yogurt (plain), little bits of meat. Mashed potatoes & sweet potatoes are her faves but we don't make anything esp for her.

At around 9 mos, babies become aware that Mommy exists even if she's not in the room. The whole object permanence thing...

She just needs to learn how to fall back asleep by herself without mommy (even though she's thinking about her).

Also, she needs two naps at this age. Sleep begets sleep.

The more tired a baby is, the less they will stay asleep because their sleep isn't restorative.

Don't mean to sound harsh--- in a hurry--- DD needs help with math NOW.  :)

I do not usually let babies cry, but in this situation, I would think it would be really important to get Dad able to help. I would find it hard to have her cry, but if Dad is doing is best to comfort her, then this is what I would do. Leave the situation, do not rush in to "help" him.

Dad and baby learning how to work together is not going to be easy on either one of them. Dad might want to bail out because he "doesn't know what to do," and baby is not going to be happy either. But, in this situation a Dad comforting a baby needs to be learned. And, will be really helpful in so many areas in the long run.

Great advice. I was going to make similar suggestions.

She sleeps in a pack n play next to my bed. Her crib is in a bedroom with 2 of my other dd. I have never laid her in it bc she had never slept thru the night & I didn't want to disturb them.

She is usually cranky when we start sleeping process. I know it's not what your supposed to do but in my defense I have 4 others running around that have needs so I can't always do what's best/right.

I have tried letting her cry. She becomes hysterical. Always. People at church & in out family have commented about how loud & hysterical she gets. Most comment on how they have never seen anything like it.

She eats oatmeal most mornings. Rest of time it's a mixture of whatever I am eating. Bits of bread, pieces of veggies, yogurt (plain), little bits of meat. Mashed potatoes & sweet potatoes are her faves but we don't make anything esp for her.

She does sound like a high needs baby.

What does your going to sleep routine look like?  I have had slightly different routines with each of my 3 but have found that they all needed consistency.  As you know, with the more kids you have the more difficult it is to be consistent about anything, so do your best.

Maybe until you can get the baby going down for the night easier you could have the older ones do something quiet (read together, play a board game, watch a movie)  just to keep from adding to the chaos.  I don't really believe in making the others tiptoe around just so baby can sleep, but maybe that needs to happen for a brief period.

She does sound like a high needs baby.

What does your going to sleep routine look like? I have had slightly different routines with each of my 3 but have found that they all needed consistency. As you know, with the more kids you have the more difficult it is to be consistent about anything, so do your best.

Maybe until you can get the baby going down for the night easier you could have the older ones do something quiet (read together, play a board game, watch a movie) just to keep from adding to the chaos. I don't really believe in making the others tiptoe around just so baby can sleep, but maybe that needs to happen for a brief period.

I think I will start locking myself in the bedroom with her & let dad handle the older kids. I usually nurse her in the living room so I can watch tv. Other kids are getting baths & all that.

Your description is very consistent with how dairy allergy manifests in infants.[/quote

I did elimination diet (on myself) when she was tiny & it didn't help. But I might need to try again with what she is eating.

And if dairy is a problem, soy frequently is too. How strictly did you follow an elimination diet? Dairy and soy are in so many things! (I'm currently eating about 7 things, only whole foods because of my infant's extreme intolerances. It's crazy.)

9 mos is a high mama needs time. My toddler is a total daddy's girl. Usually I am chopped liver, but when she wants to nurse, nothing else works. You don't have to "fix" anything--this is biological. You're what she needs. She's not manipulating or anything. I know you haven't said this, but I have gotten insane advice over time. Thanks Aunt Suzie with no kids, yes, my 9 month old needs to learn she can't always get what she wants. Um, okay...

And if dairy is a problem, soy frequently is too. How strictly did you follow an elimination diet? Dairy and soy are in so many things! (I'm currently eating about 7 things, only whole foods because of my infant's extreme intolerances. It's crazy.)

9 mos is a high mama needs time. My toddler is a total daddy's girl. Usually I am chopped liver, but when she wants to nurse, nothing else works. You don't have to "fix" anything--this is biological. You're what she needs. She's not manipulating or anything. I know you haven't said this, but I have gotten insane advice over time. Thanks Aunt Suzie with no kids, yes, my 9 month old needs to learn she can't always get what she wants. Um, okay...

I cut out soy, dairy, nuts, coffee, oats, chocolate, tomatoes, onions, broccoli, & maybe some other things that I can't remember now.

I think I need to re-read my dr. Sears book on high needs. Maybe he has advice on this...

Most people tell me she is spoiled. Spoiled to mama to be exact.