Menu

Who lives in Washington DC?

amy g.

You could check this site out, and you can look on Craig's list.

http://m.forrent.com/search.php?address=Washington+dc&seed=747365631

I just helped my mom find a place(s) here in the burbs, and as a broad generalization- most places under $1200 a month were either a dump, or in a less than desirable neighborhood, or both.

For DC, I would bump that up to at least $1500.

I have family in the area. Washington is different from a lot of cities in that the suburbs are very closely connected to the city, both in the sense of easy transportation snd also because a lot of businesses, restaurants, shopping, etc are in the suburbs. Suburbs can be just a 15 minute subway ride from the center of the city, and the subways are nice. You might want to check out suburban locations.

Silver Spring, north od DC, is not the fanciest suburb, or the closest, but there are some good values there, I think.

Will you dh be in DC for a long time? If not, perhaps one of those long stay residential suites hotels might be a possibility.

Btw, in DC, you always include what quarter of the city you are in, like 20 F St, NW.

I'm trying to remember -- are you the family in Texas with the adorable goats? If so, I can see why you would not want to uproot your whole family. Or am I really off base?

Thanks. We are in Texas and have goats. It just wouldn't work for all of us to relocate. He has commuted over an hour each way for the past 8 years, so 15 minutes wouldn't seem very long. I'm not seeing how to find what quadrant the office is in, but I'll keep looking. Thanks for your help.

Yeah, I live in the city. I don't know a ton about the apartment market though. It looks like (assuming that's 20 F St NW? I looked and SE that's residential and SW that's at Garfield Park where they're doing construction, so maybe there, but I don't think so...) that's walking distance from Union Station, so that's on the Red line. That means that he'd be open to anywhere on the Red Line. You might look in Brookland since it's really close, but it could be that Brookland has gotten too hip too fast. There were definitely deals there a couple of years ago. I think by really looking you could definitely find a studio or 1 bedroom for $1000 that's metro accessible and a nice place for a bit more.

If you were looking to move here, I'd probably have better city advice. There are deals and places to look where you can save. We bought our house before the real boom hit so we bought really low and got lucky.

Lifeoftheparty, thank you very much for the link. I can see that he could probably get an apartment for $1,500 per month. If he takes this job, I don't think he would ever want to leave it, so we would need something for 20 years or so until he retires.

I'm wondering now about trying to buy something instead of rent so that we could sell it when he retires to recoup what we have spent.

I'm going to start looking for something small to buy in an outlining area that still has an easy commute.

Thanks. We are in Texas and have goats. It just wouldn't work for all of us to relocate. He has commuted over an hour each way for the past 8 years, so 15 minutes wouldn't seem very long. I'm not seeing how to find what quadrant the office is in, but I'll keep looking. Thanks for your help.

Almost certainly the office would be in NW, near Union Station. The neighborhoods change very quickly over there. Where your office is is fine. But north and east of Union Station, not so good.

For salary purposes, would you want to price properties as though your family were going to be there? In which case, check out houses in nearby suburbs, like Bethesda. Oh, almost forgot -- lots off apartments in Arlington, which a very close to downtown DC.

I wouldn't try to buy in this market, honestly. The price for condos is really high at the moment. I do think it's going to keep going up, but I don't know if it would be a great investment... It would probably depend. Maybe if he bought something at NoMa or near H St, those neighborhoods still have room to raise the rents, so to speak.

Lifeoftheparty, thank you very much for the link. I can see that he could probably get an apartment for $1,500 per month. If he takes this job, I don't think he would ever want to leave it, so we would need something for 20 years or so until he retires.

I'm wondering now about trying to buy something instead of rent so that we could sell it when he retires to recoup what we have spent.

I'm going to start looking for something small to buy in an outlining area that still has an easy commute.

I would definitely look into that.... Our mortgage is a good $300 cheaper a month than it would cost to rent the place, here in the suburbs.

Honestly, I love the whole area, and if you and the kids are not relocating, then that gives you an advantage because you don't have to buy something in a great school district, which will cost more.

Find out where the office is located, and then look in the areas surrounding it. I'm sure you could find something :)

Almost certainly the office would be in NW, near Union Station. The neighborhoods change very quickly over there. Where your office is is fine. But north and east of Union Station, not so good.

For salary purposes, would you want to price properties as though your family were going to be there? In which case, check out houses in nearby suburbs, like Bethesda. Oh, almost forgot -- lots off apartments in Arlington, which a very close to downtown DC.

Actually, north and east of Union Station is NoMa and H St. There aren't really any hotter neighborhoods in DC right now in terms of the real estate market. But that means they've very recently gentrified, which, yes, means they're really a mix.

I wouldn't look in Arlington - I'd stick to the Red Line, but if you want something that feels safer and less urban, then Silver Spring, Forest Glen, Wheaton, or up the other side of the Red Line Friendship Heights, Bethesda, etc. are going to be "safe" neighborhoods. Though they'll cost you more. The line up toward SS/Glenmont will be cheaper than the line up toward Bethesda/Shady Grove.

I wouldn't try to buy in this market, honestly. The price for condos is really high at the moment. I do think it's going to keep going up, but I don't know if it would be a great investment... It would probably depend. Maybe if he bought something at NoMa or near H St, those neighborhoods still have room to raise the rents, so to speak.

I thought she was talking about buying in the suburbs? Over here in MD, it's definitely cheaper to buy than it is to rent...

I thought she was talking about buying in the suburbs? Over here in MD, it's definitely cheaper to buy than it is to rent...

If he wants to buy a house, yes. A condo... I think that's a toss up. From what I know, the condo market is expensive right now and if the market turns that's not money you can recoup as easily as with a house. But it depends. I think you'd need better advice than any of us could give.

Amy, from what you said at the start, I was picturing that he would want a tiny apartment near work or very easily accessible just to hang his hat so to speak. If you're looking for somewhere bigger out in the suburbs, that's a really different market and need. Are you envisioning him driving or metroing? Working in that neighborhood, metro is going to be cheaper, honestly, than parking. And a lot less traffic.

My dad took the train from Savage, Maryland to Union Station and then hopped the Red Line to his office for many years. We lived in Columbia, MD. It was about an hour commute each way. So if you live on a train line or the Metro, it would be doable. Shady Grove area, maybe? That's Montgomery County.

So you're thinking of buying a condo out in Silver Spring or Bethesda or Arlington perhaps? Or are you thinking a house? I can tell you a house with walking metro accessibility in the suburbs will easily top 600k or 700k for a really amazing deal or a fixer upper and most will be upwards of a million or more. I know less about the condo market, but I don't think you'll find massively better deals or investments in the suburbs over the city. If you're thinking about buying as an investment, I really think going into one of the recently gentrifying neighborhoods on the red line would make more sense. We bought our house before the market really heated up. It's still worth well over double what we paid now that our neighborhood is nearing the latter stages of gentrification.

But I live on a different planet from most people on this board, I'll just say. The idea of paying a lot more to live hours farther away from the city and thus get a crazy commute, especially when someone's going to be living on their own apparently, is completely foreign to me. We love our little corner of city life and being able to walk to the metro.

Actually, north and east of Union Station is NoMa and H St. There aren't really any hotter neighborhoods in DC right now in terms of the real estate market. But that means they've very recently gentrified, which, yes, means they're really a mix.

I wouldn't look in Arlington - I'd stick to the Red Line, but if you want something that feels safer and less urban, then Silver Spring, Forest Glen, Wheaton, or up the other side of the Red Line Friendship Heights, Bethesda, etc. are going to be "safe" neighborhoods. Though they'll cost you more. The line up toward SS/Glenmont will be cheaper than the line up toward Bethesda/Shady Grove.

Good points. I meant that, in general, NW is pretty good and, in general, NE, has some questionable areas. But, again, that was when the posts were about renting.

Hi Amy,

Try this site for current real estate listings.

http://www.mrishomes.com/

We have used it when purchasing our previous and our current home. It is the database that the real estate agent pointed us to when we first started looking.  You can filter the properties by a wide variety of categories and it will give you someplace to begin. As long as his office is near to a Metro stop, you will have a variety of options within an hour commute.  If he goes a bit farther out, look up "slug lines" - a unique mode of transportation!

Good luck in this endeavor!

But I live on a different planet from most people on this board, I'll just say. The idea of paying a lot more to live hours farther away from the city and thus get a crazy commute, especially when someone's going to be living on their own apparently, is completely foreign to me. We love our little corner of city life and being able to walk to the metro.

I'll agree with that. We live in MD, but Dh's job is in MD too- he has just a 15 min. commute.... if his job had been in the city, we would have sucked it up and lived in the city, or as close as we could get.

I have seen some cute little (and I mean *little*) rowhouses for sale in DC- the ones I saw were in neighborhoods that were obviously in the "gentrification" process- but the houses themselves were completely remodeled and would be quite comfortable for one person... I would imagine they would appreciate in value.

We have a friend whose husband bought a small rowhouse in a bad neighborhood in DC when he was young, before they were married (20+ some years ago)- it was a bad neighborhood, so he got it pretty cheap. He was young, unmarried, etc. he didn't care about the neighborhood... anyways, fast forward to now.... he kept it, and rented it out.... years passed, the neighborhood (I'm not sure which one, close to Capitol Hill somewhere) went through gentrification and today that rowhouse is worth close to a million dollars. They rent it out for gobs of money and it's comepletely paid off.

Now, I doubt that scenario is likely to repeat itself today, but I just use that story to point out- you never know what will happen with regards to city neighborhoods.... if you are planning to keep something for 20 years... it's something to think about....

If you think he's going to stay for a long time, I would recommend you rent for a year, so he can get his bearings... then buy.  If he can find a 6 month rental that's even better, but probably not possible.  If he' works in NW, then anywhere along the red line would be good.  Silver Springs has some very nice places - or he could go a little further out and a little cheaper in Wheaton.   Up the other side of the red Line (the red line is a big V with Union Station being the bottom point).  You've got Rockville - lots of good options there.  Bethesda  is closer in but will be expensive.

I used to live at 1900 F Street, NW when I was a student.  

Are you sure it's not 2000 F Street rather than 20?  Or is at 20th and F?  If so, you're in Foggy Bottom… near the Import-Export bank, World Bank, GWU, etc.

There's a market for college student apartments there, but also lots of others live there.  State Dept. is there. 

I used to live at a place called Columbia Plaza which was a great location.  Rents then were around $800, my guess is today they're above $2000.  You'd be on the Orange/Blue line…so look along there.

I'll agree with that. We live in MD, but Dh's job is in MD too- he has just a 15 min. commute.... if his job had been in the city, we would have sucked it up and lived in the city, or as close as we could get.

I have seen some cute little (and I mean *little*) rowhouses for sale in DC- the ones I saw were in neighborhoods that were obviously in the "gentrification" process- but the houses themselves were completely remodeled and would be quite comfortable for one person... I would imagine they would appreciate in value.

We have a friend whose husband bought a small rowhouse in a bad neighborhood in DC when he was young, before they were married (20+ some years ago)- it was a bad neighborhood, so he got it pretty cheap. He was young, unmarried, etc. he didn't care about the neighborhood... anyways, fast forward to now.... he kept it, and rented it out.... years passed, the neighborhood (I'm not sure which one, close to Capitol Hill somewhere) went through gentrification and today that rowhouse is worth close to a million dollars. They rent it out for gobs of money and it's comepletely paid off.

Now, I doubt that scenario is likely to repeat itself today, but I just use that story to point out- you never know what will happen with regards to city neighborhoods.... if you are planning to keep something for 20 years... it's something to think about....

I don't know... I think there are deals out there still in some neighborhoods. Nothing like twenty years ago or even like ten or twelve years ago which is closer to when we bought our rowhouse, but I'm sure there are people who bought in Brookland five or six years ago who are feeling pretty smart right now. I think it's about knowing what's going to go up. The suburbs are mostly already all up. Though there's a lot of room for growth in Hyattsville and some of the close in PG suburbs. I guess I just always fall back on the basic opinion that actual houses - or, in city terms, rowhouses - are usually a good investment, but not always so with a condo.

My dad took the train from Savage, Maryland to Union Station and then hopped the Red Line to his office for many years. We lived in Columbia, MD. It was about an hour commute each way. So if you live on a train line or the Metro, it would be doable. Shady Grove area, maybe? That's Montgomery County.

LOL....... I was about to type something like this except I think my dad got on in Laurel. For a long time he drove to a bus stop in Wilde Lake and took the bus in but later on, he drove to the train and then metro. Anyways, to the OP, I suggest anything on or near the red line for decent commuting. When you are there with him, you'll like how easy it is to get into the city and have fun.

Renting for a year is a great idea. That is what we did when we moved to this area. He has had a long commute here because we wanted to live on acreage. He has not enjoyed the commute at all, so finding something close by would really be ideal.

If we could buy instead of rent, that would just be icing on the cake. $1,500.00 rent is $360,000 over 20 years so buying is at least worth looking into.

Renting for a year is a great idea. That is what we did when we moved to this area. He has had a long commute here because we wanted to live on acreage. He has not enjoyed the commute at all, so finding something close by would really be ideal.

If we could buy instead of rent, that would just be icing on the cake. $1,500.00 rent is $360,000 over 20 years so buying is at least worth looking into.

Just remember that you also have all of the maintenance costs and such when you are buying. Plus you lose flexibility if you buy small, assuming it will just be him, and then you decide to join him.

I don't know... I think there are deals out there still in some neighborhoods. Nothing like twenty years ago or even like ten or twelve years ago which is closer to when we bought our rowhouse, but I'm sure there are people who bought in Brookland five or six years ago who are feeling pretty smart right now. I think it's about knowing what's going to go up. The suburbs are mostly already all up. Though there's a lot of room for growth in Hyattsville and some of the close in PG suburbs. I guess I just always fall back on the basic opinion that actual houses - or, in city terms, rowhouses - are usually a good investment, but not always so with a condo.

You know, Hyattsville, MD really does have some potential.... it's not a great area, but it does have a cute little downtown, and I could see it perking up on down the road... and you might be able to find something in College Park as well- those would be on the green line.

An old friend just moved here two years ago, and they live in College Park, they are near the IKEA and the metro station- in a house. They really like it there. I go over to College Park to shop at IKEA :) It's where the University of MD is located.

You know, Hyattsville, MD really does have some potential.... it's not a great area, but it does have a cute little downtown, and I could see it perking up on down the road... and you might be able to find something in College Park as well- those would be on the green line.

An old friend just moved here two years ago, and they live in College Park, they are near the IKEA and the metro station- in a house. They really like it there. I go over to College Park to shop at IKEA :) It's where the University of MD is located.

Yeah, Hyattsville has already started to perk up. The Busboys and Poets moving in and some of the downtown revitalization is helping. College Park is similar. And Mt. Ranier also. But that's off the metro mostly.