Menu

Comic Con

Momling

My little brother and his wife are getting tickets for comic con next year and invited my girls to go with them. They go every year, but I don't know much about it... Is it kid-friendly? Is it pretty safe for 11 & 13 yr olds if my girls walk around together or do they need to stick closely with adults (they're independent travelers and like being on their own). My inclination is to send them down there to their uncle and have a fun adventure, but just want to double check that it's okay for kids.

I went to our comic con with young DC. Not THE one but in a medium sized city. It was fine walking around, seeing stuff. The only reason I wanted to leave the littles behind was so we could listen to different lectures/conferences. I think Tweens would be okay if they're reliable and regular meet up times and restrictions were in place (don't leave convention center, etc).

My 19 and 14 year old went to the one in the Chicagoland area in August. My dh dropped them off and picked them up. They only attended on Saturday (four day event here). They both had cell phones and stuck together. They had a good time. I think your children would be fine but would want some commen sense rules such as meet up times, no leaving the venue, etc. if you have any questions you want me to ask my daughters, let me know.

We haven't done comic-con, but have been to other cons. Usually things get a bit more adult after 11:00 or so, but earlier in the day is pretty kid-friendly, except for a few stripperiffic costumes (admittedly, usually of characters that were Stripperiffic to start with in whatever comic book, TV show, movie, or video game they're from).

It can be a lot of fun. Honestly, I usually enjoy the going and walking around and seeing what people come up with and the vendor hall much more than the actual sessions.

My older girls have done twice with friends. 

Yes there are creeps.  We had to go get my oldest because she was tired of being hit on by older creepy guys would couldn't take a hint.

If your kids being around women in very revealing clothing bothers you, don't send your kids. 

Cell phones don't work well where the one in PHX is held, so have back up plans for meet ups that don't require phone calls or texts.  Assume the phones will not work at all in the buildings-mine had to deal with that.

Do you mean THE comic.con in CA? It is HUGE. I guess they would probably be fine but I would definitely want everyone to have an effective way to communicate and very specific check in times and locations on a regular basis.

He wants to take them to the one in San Diego in July. I'm sure they'll keep track of the girls, I guess I just want assurance it's not some bacchanalian orgy I'm sending them off to. (Though I do trust my brother, so I'm sure it's fine, really. Right?)

He wants to take them to the one in San Diego in July. I'm sure they'll keep track of the girls, I guess I just want assurance it's not some bacchanalian orgy I'm sending them off to. (Though I do trust my brother, so I'm sure it's fine, really. Right?)

Friends of ours from homeschool park group go every year with their boys. This year the boys are 9 and 11. I think this was their 3rd year going, so went as young as 7 years old.

We've done several ComiCons, and they are so much fun!  I wouldn't have any problems letting Indy go with adults, and even wandering around with a friend, as long as they had their cell phones.  ComiCons are crazy.  I could really sit and people watch for hours.  There are loads of geeks, and just out to meet other people who like the same stuff they do, meet some of their icons, and have a good time.  Yes, there will likely be some creepy people, but overall, the people are so fun and friendly, and accepting, which is my favorite thing about ComiCons (other than getting to meet some of the people I've seen on TV and in movies).

I've never been to ComiCon in SD, but I've been to DragonCon in Atlanta (not as big, but still pretty huge). It was pretty kid friendly during the day. In fact I saw lots of kids there. Not as kid friendly later, especially after 10 or 11, but most kids were gone by then.

I did notice a few creepy guys, but they were mostly focused on the young ladies in costumes, and no one I saw got out of hand.

San Diego Comic Con? //insert ear-piercing fangirl squee here// 

yeeeeessss, let them go!! 

It's no orgy, lol, but I myself would probably not be comfortable letting them wander by themselves. It's hard to convey how loud and crowded and utterly chaotic cons can be, and the San Diego one is hella bigger than any I have ever attended. It's not like a shopping mall or a craft show or even a big festival. It is blissful, creative insanity. 

As far as content in panels or activities, one can usually get a rough idea based on the description or even just what show or character is in the spotlight. If a panel has huge kid appeal but might venture into mature themes, that is usually noted in some way. Explicit or just plain raunchy stuff is 18+ only, ime. 

Celebrity guests get a lot of attention, but cons are also a great opportunity to listen to very talented creators and artists speak about their work. It is an amazing and educational field trip. 

Comic Con is very safe and an incredible experience. They should be comfortable in huge crowds and ok with waiting in very long lines. We used to keep our boat next door to the convention center and have seen several years of Comic Cons. I would let them go provided that they're ok with the crowds and wait times.