Menu

looking for your very best rewards for 6th-7th graders

Mine have tablets/iPods and like the Google or IPad gift card so they can purchase music or game aps. If you are looking for a smaller reward though and they liked to download music, aps, or books instead of the $10 and up gift cards they could earn one song, so, or book?

Oooh, these are good; thank you!

Adding more info: It's a co-op class, and the kids received 3 homework passes worth 3 (total) days' worth of homework; if they can keep them until the end of the semester (i.e., never miss a day of writing), we promised prizes. :)

Budget is fairly low, but the kids are truly working quite hard.

My immediate thought was FOOD! Then I read your post. I would say the second best prize would be gift cards of some kind. Dollar store, target, Walmart.... Pencils and stickers would be a major let down, I think. If you reconsider food, IME there's almost nothing a 12 year old won't do for a donut.

We do 80% of our schooling on Onenote.  To provide incentives for DD, I started a program called "Bonus Bonanza". 

On each class overview page detailing the work to be done that week, at the bottom of the page, I incorporate (relevant to the class and what we are learning) extra videos (YT, Amazon, Netflix), Eyewitness to History pages, BrainPop FYI readings, online articles, games, books to read, opportunities to do a biography or narration, etc. Each extra item is awarded BB points depending upon the length, depth, breadth, of the item.  Each BB point is worth 10 cents.

For each careless mistake made in math, grammar, or misspelling of a word (we don't do a formal spelling program), failing to do an assignment, etc., she loses BB points.

Last year, it took DD a little while to take advantage of this program because it meant she had to do extra work, but once she realized the value, she stepped up and got into it.  She earned $46.00 by the end of the year. She was able to spend that money anyway she wanted.  She could also opt for us treating her to extra ice skating, going to the indoor pool, or maybe a movie.  DD chose the cold, hard cash so she could buy books.

This year, prior to school even starting, DD asked if we were going to do Bonus Bonanza again.  Well, we are.  She's already racking up the dough and then losing some.  However, now when she makes a careless mistake in math, she really wants to know why she made such a silly mistake and berates herself endlessly.  Kinda nice -- her getting after herself rather than me or Dad!

We do 80% of our schooling on Onenote. 

I am sorry if this is off topic, but can you tell me how you use OneNote?  That sounds really neat.

Yes, please! Will you please start a spin-off thread and explain what/how you use one note. I would be really interested as well.

In the $2-8 range:

Sharpies

flash drives

laser pointers

hacky sacks

kazoos or harmonicas

little alarm clocks

Farkle, Uno, Phase 10, playing cards

drawstring backpacks

carbiners - flashlight, multi-tool

calculators

white tee/tie-dye

* pkg 6+ Hanes tees, tie dye color kits, $2 bag rubber bands

* give each  kid a tee, 1 color dye, few rubber bands, Ziploc bag, typed instrux

Altoids - not technically a food! (Or the Trader Joe's green tea mints, yum!)

$5 gift cards - Sonic, Starbucks, iTunes, movie theater

$5 cash - presented in origami :D