Menu

Help me with wording for a sign advising of blind dog...

Isabella

We are going to get a sign made for our farm driveway, as our little newly blind dog loves to run up to newcomers letting us know of their presence.  Up till now, she's always gotten out of the way, and we knew she would so we don't vary our speed, but of course now that she can't see, we are being careful.  Many people that come here, however, would not know there is a blind dog obviously. Cars are fairly quiet nowadays, and I worry she won't be able to accurately hear when they are right there and get out of the way.  I don't think we can stop her running up the drive, as its been her multiple-times-daily habit for seven years.  

A few days ago a car came, and Georgie was sniffing around the far side of it when it was stationary, and as it started the engine, and started to move, she trotted around the front of it, and was barely missed.  

We also have 3 dogs around much of the time, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, a Dalmatian, and Georgie (Brittany Spaniel).  I wondered if I need to specify which one to be careful of, and perhaps include a picture of a Brittany on the sign for clarity (she doesn't look blind, as she knows her way around really well, and will run up the drive like she can see everything)

I thought of something like...

CAUTION

Blind Dog on Property

Please take care when driving 

or moving your vehicle.

(Stock Brittany Photo)

My husband is thinking something more like...

Georgie is blind.

(Pic)

She will run up driveway  (he thinks this should be stated, as people may think a blind dog will be only around house, and drive is about 200metres)

to meet you.

Please drive slowly to 

avoid hitting her.

It shouldn't be difficult to choose wording for a sign, but for some reason I'm finding it that way.

Can you help?

Thank you!!

I cannot imagine people being able to necessarily see the dog.  I'd put a sign asking people to drive slowly toward the house but once you know they are there, I think it is your responsibility to restrain your dog until the danger is past - like when they are turning around or backing up.  

Well, yes, we would do what we could to keep her safe, but being on a farm, the dogs are always unrestrained, and we have multiple people coming and going each day.  It would be quite draining to run out and put a lead on her, or put her in the house each time someone drove around.  Not to mention, we are sometimes not even home, and the neighbours, or friends may drop in to pick something up, drop something off, etc.

We also feel part of her continued happiness and wellbeing is to live the life she always did.  Of course we are taking more precautions to keep her safe, the sign being one of them.  I think that if people are aware there is a blind dog, and they'd been advised by the sign, they'll be watching out for her a little more anyway.  And, obviously, if someone did hit her, we would not be suing or anything.  

I think I would go with the second option. It's a little more personal, and I think because of that more likely to gain attention. The other just sounds like another sign (no offense to you, OP!)  :)

Thanks for your input….no offence taken! :-)

Awesome…Thank you all! We will go with the second sign.  My Dh will be thrilled.  I always tend to more formality, so I probably should loosen up a little! :-)

ETA: didn't see the last post till I posted already.  That's a good combo.  I'll put it to Dh.

Well, yes, we would do what we could to keep her safe, but being on a farm, the dogs are always unrestrained, and we have multiple people coming and going each day.  It would be quite draining to run out and put a lead on her, or put her in the house each time someone drove around.  Not to mention, we are sometimes not even home, and the neighbours, or friends may drop in to pick something up, drop something off, etc.

We also feel part of her continued happiness and wellbeing is to live the life she always did.  Of course we are taking more precautions to keep her safe, the sign being one of them.  I think that if people are aware there is a blind dog, and they'd been advised by the sign, they'll be watching out for her a little more anyway.  And, obviously, if someone did hit her, we would not be suing or anything.  

Gotcha.  I'm just a bit cautious about spaniels being potentially hit by cars.  Our Springer, Libby, was hit by a car a few years ago.  One paw is paralyzed.  

Wow you guys are really sweet to put so much effort into keeping your little one safe.

For me, as a driver, I don't want too many words. I want to have my brain automatically process the information without having to actually read it. I'm dyslexic and switching my brain into 'reading for information' mode, takes longer than driving past a sign.

Blind Dog

(pix)

Drive slow

ETA: I would not only put a sign or two at the entrance to your road, but also where the cars are parked.  That way when people are leaving your house, they are reminded to watch when backing out. Even people who have been to your house numerous times and know about his blindness can still get distracted and forget.

I would go with a shorter, blunter sign. People won't take the time to read a long and complex sign, and if they did, they would be driving carelessly as they did so.

DRIVE SLOW

Blind dog

or maybe

STOP!

Blind dog

Drive slow

The shorter, the better. No need for a wall of text.

I don't know how practical this is, but it might be better to put a fence up if you can, or even just a chain strung between two poles, one that can be easily lifted out of the way for cars to drive by. That would *force* drivers to stop.

I wouldn't put the sign right next to the road though.  I'd be afraid that someone driving by would think she is an easy target and steal her, so I would want it well onto my property, if at all possible. (i.e., sign not visible from the road)

Why would somebody steal a blind dog? Is the OP's dog some rare and valuable breed?

Why would somebody steal a blind dog? Is the OP's dog some rare and valuable breed?

People steal dogs for all sorts of despicable reasons.  Stealing to resell a valuable breed is the nicest possible reason.    Dogs are sometimes stolen by people who want to abuse them, use them in fights, etc.

Anne

People steal dogs for all sorts of despicable reasons. Stealing to resell a valuable breed is the nicest possible reason. Dogs are sometimes stolen by people who want to abuse them, use them in fights, etc.

Anne

...make Dalmatian-fur coats out of them...

;) jk

Thanks again, shorter and to the point sounds like it would be easier to read.

Yes I've heard of dogs being stolen but more in the city. We live on a quiet road with only one other farm on the road so not to many people come by unless they have to, but the sign would be situated halfway down the drive...About the distance she usually runs to get cars.