Menu

Hakim's Story about of Us

Ohdanigirl

These are great history books.  I have the complete set since we used them as part of our Sonlight core a couple of years ago.  My son doesn't want me to sell them because they became his favorite.  I think ( I maybe wrong) that they were originally written for middle-school aged kids, however, we used the books in 9th grade and it was fine.  We are Christians, so just as with any secular book we read, we had to talk about the different view points that are presented in the books.  With all that to say, the books are well written and more complete than any text-book in ps that 'tells' about history in a boring format.

Here's a link to the website: http://www.joyhakim.com/works.htm

I'm using this right now with my 10yo, and it is easy enough for him to understand and really well done. I had read that it was a liberal slant but I've not seen that at all so far. Now, I just started Zinn, that is decidely more liberal but Hakim is pretty even-handed, unless you refuse to acknowledge any American wrong doing at all in which case I'd stick to the d'Aulaires and similar.

Thank you, everyone. It is for an advanced 8th grade US History, so I think they will oly be using some of the books. It is in addition to the textbook that the school district supplied.

Ds was homeschooled up until last year and is strong in History. I just want to be sure he is challenged.

Thanks again.

We're using them this year for 5th, as a read aloud.  We have the audibooks as well as the print versions.  Loving them so far, and DS requests the audiobooks every night.  They were given to us by a family that used them for early high school, so I was skeptical about using them in 5th, but it's been working out well.  Great springboard for discussions.  

IMO, they're accessible to about 4th grade and up (I've seen a lot of people talk about using them with younger kids, but most kids I know would have zoned out with that level of new to them detail before at least about 3rd grade), but meaty enough to be useful through 9th or 10th grade, especially if used alongside other resources or for students new to most of the information. The teacher may have chosen them as a supplement specifically for social and cultural history, both of which are covered more extensively in the Hakim series than in most textbooks. Or just for the talkative style.