Menu

Must Do in Cincinnati

anmom

The zoo is very nice and there are some nice museums (EnterTRAINment Junction, Cincinnati Museum Center, etc.). I could probably give you better suggestions with an idea of the ages of your kids and your family's interests.

Kids are 8,7,4

We were possibly considering Kings Island, but I'm hesitant with my kids ages. What do you all think?

Museum center was on the list of possibilities, do the tickets for all 3 museums last only 1 day?

We have been to several aquariums, so I think we will pass on it.

Ooo, Cincinnati is where we go for speech therapy!  My ds is 5 btw, so that's where we're coming from.   :)

On the Museum Center I'd just do the children's section and maybe an imax movie if you think they'd like it.

The Great Parks system in Cincy is AMAZING.  You could spend all your days just doing park after park and never find it dull.  But my boy is ALL BOY, lol.  

The Newport Aquarium has a really unique walk-through tank.

We haven't done the zoo there, but it's supposed to be good.

We LOVE the Montgomery Inn.  It's all bbq.  I get the chicken sandwich, swoon...  

If you live pizza, La Rosa's is the one everyone orders.

I don't know, beyond that we usually just do the parks, lol.  Some have history centers or trails or paddle boats to rent.  They're almost like state parks.  It's $3 for a day pass or $10 for the permit to get you in and out for the rest of the calendar year.  Even for just a few days you might as well do the $10 pass and have the flexibility just to drive in.  We've done a fair number of them and liked all of them.  Some of the parks have these really cool flintstone pedal cars you can buy that fit your whole family, hehe.  You could do that during nap time to get them to quiet down.   :)

There's a place for public fossil hunting on the north side of Cincy.  I haven't been there yet, but it looked fun with the info I read online.  (just google public fossil hunting Ohio or something)

Sure there's more you can do, but we really love the parks.  Here's the website.  Great Parks | Great Parks  You might consider taking your bikes.  :)

Here's a link to the fossil place.  http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g50962-d3383561-r144794203-Trammel_Fossil_Park-Sharonville_Ohio.html

I don't think kings island is open during the week right now (but I didn't look it up). My kids like their Halloween/fall stuff this time of year. We have season passes...don't know that I would pay full price for it. We really like the museum center (all 3 museums). I am pretty sure all the museums are included in the ticket.

When we lived in the area our boys loved Jungle Jim's because we'd give them $5 (this was 10 years ago) and let them buy what they wanted. It was so hard to choose but it was fun! We also enjoyed the zoo and the Hamilton County Parks. And the museum center, but we lived nearby so a family membership was well worth the investment.

Depending on how much time you have you might consider a visit to the Air Force museum in Dayton, about an hour north of Cincy. It's free!

If you enjoy hiking check out Mt. Airy Forrest.  There is a really neat wheelchair accessible treehouse that would be a perfect place for a picnic.  There is also a great playground nearby.  http://www.cincinnatiparks.com/index.php/mt-airy-forest

We visited the Museum Center a couple weeks ago.  My 6 & 4 year old enjoyed the Natural History Museum the best, it isn't huge so I think you would have time to do both the Natural History and the Children's Museum unless your kids are patient enough for you to actually read everything.  I'm not sure about doing all 3 museums on the same day.   I think the 3 museum ticket is only for 1 day, but call and ask because I'm not sure.  It isn't always open, but if you get a chance to go up into Tower 1 you can see how the rail yard operates.  It's pretty interesting. 

It's been 3 or 4 years since I've been, but the zoo is really nice.  I think King's Island is only open on weekends right now.

There was a Cincinnati thread about a month ago, you may find some more suggestions there.

Okay...I travel to Cincinnati several times a month for work and have never even heard of Jungle Jim's. Off to see what the heck it is and where it's located!

My kids love the museums. My dd was about 5 when we were there and she adored the children's museum. My Ds was about 8 and preferred the natural history museum.

When we lived in the area our boys loved Jungle Jim's because we'd give them $5 (this was 10 years ago) and let them buy what they wanted. It was so hard to choose but it was fun! We also enjoyed the zoo and the Hamilton County Parks. And the museum center, but we lived nearby so a family membership was well worth the investment.

Depending on how much time you have you might consider a visit to the Air Force museum in Dayton, about an hour north of Cincy. It's free!

I love the Air Force Museum, but doubt it would be worth the drive, considering the age of her kids. It's not a super engaging museum for younger kids.

I love the Air Force Museum, but doubt it would be worth the drive, considering the age of her kids. It's not a super engaging museum for younger kids.

Depends on your kids. Mine were about the ages of the OP's when we lived there and couldn't seem to get enough of that museum. We went about twice a year. They just loved airplanes.

Ride the Ducks in very close-by Newport. Vehicle goes in the river *and* drives around Cincinnati for an overview of Cincinnati (and a few Newport) highlights, with a tour guide and free duck quackers. You can get this in combo w an aquarium ticket, or separately. I have relatives there. When we visited we thought this was fun. :)