Menu

lunch recipes for someone with Hashimoto's??

Lori D.

I am hosting lunch for 3 out-of-town distant relatives of DH on Thursday, one of whom has Hashimoto's. I don't know what her specific dietary needs are, but want to provide several things that would work for her, AND be tasty for those of us without Hashimoto's. All recipe ideas welcome! :) Thanks in advance

My mom has Hashimoto's. Hashimoto's is a thyroid disease. It doesn't require you to be gluten free or anything like that. There are things that people with Hashimoto's will want to increase/decrease in their overall diet, but that doesn't really matter from the perspective of one meal. As long as she doesn't have food allergies, anything should be fine.

My dd and my sister have Hashimoto's.  They both try to limit soy-- as it upsets the estrogen/testosterone balances... but they both do use it occasionally...

They both happen to have other food allergies (corn)...

I'd ask about specific food allergies that ANYONE coming may have (in blanket email or such)... I would not single out the person with Hashimotos...

I can't get them to tell me if there is a specific food allergy, which IS something I always ask ANY guest new to eating at our house, so I am a bit flummoxed.

But, thanks ladies for the input. When I googled Hashimoto's the info in this article seemed to indicate that eliminating certain foods due to the leaky gut connection with it. So, no dairy, gluten, and lectins (grains esp. wheat), legumes (esp. soy), and oils made from seeds. I guess a paleo-based meal of meats and vegetables, with olive oil as the "fat" for cooking would work...

I cannot even imagine my Hashimoto's coming up in connection with a meal at someone's house.  And while I try to eat healthily for my immune system, I wouldn't worry about one meal anyway.  In fact, I would be taken aback if someone took it on themselves to put me on a diet of sorts, if I had refused to ask for any special accommodations.  

I can't get them to tell me if there is a specific food allergy, which IS something I always ask ANY guest new to eating at our house, so I am a bit flummoxed.

But, thanks ladies for the input. When I googled Hashimoto's the info in this article seemed to indicate that eliminating certain foods due to the leaky gut connection with it. So, no dairy, gluten, and lectins (grains esp. wheat), legumes (esp. soy), and oils made from seeds. I guess a paleo-based meal of meats and vegetables, with olive oil as the "fat" for cooking would work...

It is individual. I don't have any issues with gluten (I have been tested) and I do not have leaky gut issues.

Everyone is different. If you want to know what allergies they have you would have to ask them. I am allergic to dairy but that is it.

If they are not telling you that there is a specific food allergy, then there probably isn't one.  We have allergies in our house, and trust me - we are not shy in letting people know.  It's a matter of life and death.  If there's no answer about allergies, then it's probably not an issue.  And if it is, and they are just not telling you - well, that wouldn't be very polite, since you're asking, and will be serving food.

As for cooking, if they have no preferences - then just cook what you'd normally cook.  I agree with Jean on this, completely.  I would be taken aback if a host put me on a specific type of diet based on my Hashimoto's, after asking me if there were specific needs without getting a reply.

I agree - it's overbearing to put someone on a diet that they don't request.

If you want to keep Hashimoto's dietary recommendations in mind when making the same meal for everyone and serve it without comment, probably no one will even notice. But if she's not already following the recommendations on a regular basis, a single meal isn't going to make any difference whatsoever.

Interesting. I have Hashimoto's but didn't know there are diet guidelines? I eat healthy foods, and avoid my allergens, and follow my celiac needs, but I'm not sure there's a blanket diet for hashimoto's.

Yes, I was recently dx with Hashimoto's and discovered that there are certain diet restrictions.  Gluten is one - but since you have celiac you're already taking care of it.

Yes, I was recently dx with Hashimoto's and discovered that there are certain diet restrictions.  Gluten is one - but since you have celiac you're already taking care of it.

What are the others, if you don't mind my asking?  Do you have any good articles?  

I am guilty of neglecting Hashimoto's issues.  I have so, so many other issues, that Hashimoto's is just sort of tacked on at the end, and I don't give it much thought.  It's the least of the worries, you know?

My doc has me on a special diet anyway, so I bet most of the restrictions are covered by that, but still, it's interesting.  Thanks.  :)

Okay, well in case anyone was interested  :tongue_smilie: â€¦ The guest in question needed to avoid fats to keep her overall fat intake low. She did have a little vinegar/oil dressing on her salad, but did not have any of the slaw or beans.. Don't know if they didn't appeal to her, or because I did say there was a grand total of 2 tablespoons of olive oil in each (and each made about 8 servings, so only about 1 tsp. of oil per serving). She did eat some wheat (slice of bread, 2 cookies) and a slice of cheese -- so, obviously the wheat and dairy were okay.

Everyone said they enjoyed it, and there were plenty of choices, so everyone seemed to be happy.  :) And in case you want to know what I finally decided to serve, see below. I had ONLY this morning to plan, shop and prepare, so I resorted to a few store-bought items.

Thanks for all the attempts to help me, esp. when we didn't have any details. ;) Warmest regards, Lori D.

1. plate of lunch meats and cheeses

I also put out a loaf of artisan whole wheat bread, and various condiments (mayo and various mustard varieties), plus romaine lettuce leaves and sliced red onion, so people could either eat dairy-free and/or wheat-free, or BYO sandwich...

2. Broccoli Slaw

- bag of (pre-shredded) broccoli/carrot/red cabbage mix from the store

- marinated in:

1/4 cup apple juice

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

2 Tbsp. olive oil

1 tsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

pepper to taste

3. White Bean Salad

- 1 can white beans, rinsed/drained

- 1-2 carrots, grated

- 2-3 radishes, grated

- toasted sesame seeds

- marinated in:

1 Tbsp olive oil

2 Tbsp red wine vinegar

salt & pepper to taste

4. Tossed Salad

- spinach

- lettuce

- various sliced vegetables

- set out several Newman's dressings to choose from

5. fruit plate

(cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, raspberries, red grapes)

6. dessert:

- chocolate-dipped strawberries (I dipped the berries in Ghiradelli melting wafer chocolate)

- 2 kinds of fancier store-bought cookies

What are the others, if you don't mind my asking? Do you have any good articles?

I am guilty of neglecting Hashimoto's issues. I have so, so many other issues, that Hashimoto's is just sort of tacked on at the end, and I don't give it much thought. It's the least of the worries, you know?

My doc has me on a special diet anyway, so I bet most of the restrictions are covered by that, but still, it's interesting. Thanks. :)

There is not evidence that people who have Hashimoto's but not Celiacs benefit from a gluten free diet. It is true that autoimmune conditions such as Celiacs are more common in people with Hashimoto's but not all people with Hashimoto's have Celiacs.

I would get allergy testing if you have Hashimoto's before going on a restrictive diet. There sometimes isn't an easy way to tell what might bother you.

If you have a corn allergy but not Celiacs then you might end up sicker because corn is used in a lot of gluten-free items.

There is not evidence that people who have Hashimoto's but not Celiacs benefit from a gluten free diet. It is true that autoimmune conditions such as Celiacs are more common in people with Hashimoto's but not all people with Hashimoto's have Celiacs.

I would get allergy testing if you have Hashimoto's before going on a restrictive diet. There sometimes isn't an easy way to tell what might bother you.

If you have a corn allergy but not Celiacs then you might end up sicker because corn is used in a lot of gluten-free items.

I have Celiac anyway, so I'm gluten free for that already.  I just hadn't considered any special diet needs for Hashimoto's before this post, so it's interesting to see the responses. This is the first I've heard of a special diet - but again, it's not like I've researched Hashimoto's much, it really is just another condition tacked on the pile and I neglect it. :blush:  

Spryte.  I've been tested for celiac's and gluten intolerance over and over again.  They keep being surprised that I'm not.  I've even gone gluten free just for laughs and haven't seen any difference.  I'm having huge problems right now with inflammation in my body right now so I'm trying to go gluten free again.  Unfortunately I think we all need to figure everything out for ourselves.  

Spryte.  I've been tested for celiac's and gluten intolerance over and over again.  They keep being surprised that I'm not.  I've even gone gluten free just for laughs and haven't seen any difference.  I'm having huge problems right now with inflammation in my body right now so I'm trying to go gluten free again.  Unfortunately I think we all need to figure everything out for ourselves.  

So true.  It's an individual journey, and our bodies are all different.  I hope you get the inflammation under control soon - it's tough.  I have a lot of inflammation, but what I do won't necessarily help you, of course.  I haven't found being GF to be a magic bullet, FWIW.  I do like my plaquenil though - that has been quite helpful.  :) 

I have Celiac anyway, so I'm gluten free for that already.  I just hadn't considered any special diet needs for Hashimoto's before this post, so it's interesting to see the responses. This is the first I've heard of a special diet - but again, it's not like I've researched Hashimoto's much, it really is just another condition tacked on the pile and I neglect it. :blush:  

My mom has Hashimoto's so it is something I have been familiar with for awhile.

Same here, I had a few different tests for Celiacs, all negative.