Menu

Gift ideas for 4 & 6 y/o boys?

Ripley

I need gift ideas for two boys ages 4 and 6, whom I don't know very well.

Or website suggestions beyond amazon and the brick-and-mortar toy store chains.

They squabble a lot now that the younger can hold his own.

Which is better - identical gifts or very different ones?

Both boys spend a lot of time on their individual iPads and likely have all the extras -

are there any off-the-beaten path iPad accessories you can think of or recommend?

Art/craft stuff, small or many pieces (Lego), and games requiring an adult have been discouraged.

The parents aren't the type to make use of experiences like a zoo or museum pass.

I thought about outdoor play but was reminded to consider the boys' tendency to fight ...

hmm, what's a noisy gift? Are they the right age for harmonicas and a drum pad? :lol:

Price range is variable. I'd prefer to stay under $50/each and would LOVE to be at $50 TOTAL.

But I'm wasting more time picking my brain than it's worth, so suggestions at most prices are welcome.

I'm not buying a trampoline or anything in that price range LOL.

It was easier when the wrapping was as exciting, if not more, than the gift itself.

I appreciate any bone you can toss my way, I'm at a loss here.

My 5yo boy is turning 6 next month. He wants legos (which I know you said was out), skylanders, wizard supplies (wands, cloaks, owl, "potion" supplies), and super heroes.

Skylanders are a video game that you can get for all different platforms (I think including ipad) and then you buy figures that go with it. Do you know if they already have the game? Then you could get some figures. Here is an amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Skylanders-Battlegrounds-Mobile-Starter-Pack-iOS/dp/B0050SZ67Y I think there are other ipad versions, but I really don't know much about it. We have the Wii version.

My ds likes fisher price imaginext super heroes. They are action figures aimed at 4-6 year olds. The pieces aren't too small and don't require adult help. They are at pretty much every store.

ETA: What about dress up clothes? My ds likes to dress up as super heroes. There are tons of costumes at stores this time of year.

How to train your dragon action figures (one toothless dragon each).  They also sell many different dragons from the movies.

iTunes gift card?

Light sabers

"fun" science kit (exploding volcano, slime kit, gross edible bug kit, etc)

cra-z-sand is pretty neat

foam swords/shields/knight stuff maybe

Scooter, baseball and glove, remote control cars. Or get the 4 year old a remote control car and the 6 year old a remote control helicopter. It does take some skill to fly so they are getting something similar but not exactly the same.

I don't think it matters whether you get them the same thing or different. If they are going to fight, they will fight either way.

Rockets. Each boy gets his own, so no fighting. Obviously at that age the kits are primarily done with parents. Include motors, but given to parents.

stomp rockets

The kids don't need adults to handle anything. Each get their own and its an outside toy good for getting aggression out. With room for challenges if they like

Another vote for stomp rockets. Cheap, fun. Good shared gift.

How about an ant farm? One of the ones with the gel? Those are cool to observe.

How about Citiblocks/Kapla/Keva planks? Those are really fun. Yes, lots of pieces, but they're all the same and easy to build with and then sweep away.

How about books? Squish (graphic novel) for the older and an Elephant and Piggie for the younger. Or a joke book for each one - there are several easy reader joke books the younger could grow into. Or a couple of National Geographic Kids books, which are basically all photos and random factoids. Just fun to browse through, even for the pre-reading set.

I mean, I can think of iPad related stuff - cool headphones (there are a bunch that are earbuds with little icon things on them) and an iTunes card each - but if they're on those all the time - at four years old no less - I would just feel funny giving that.

We have the remote control helicopters and I'd discourage them for boys that young as they can be delicate and hard to fly.

But everyone needs....a flying monkey!

Yes the parents will praise your name over and over as the soothing sound of a screaming flying monkey wafts thru the house, followed by the mad scramble of their little darlings' feet as they run after it, only to fling it once again.

Ear plugs not included....

:laugh:

We have the remote control helicopters and I'd discourage them for boys that young as they can be delicate and hard to fly.

But everyone needs....a flying monkey!

Yes the parents will praise your name over and over as the soothing sound of a screaming flying monkey wafts thru the house, followed by the mad scramble of their little darlings' feet as they run after it, only to fling it once again.

Ear plugs not included....

:laugh:

That thing is only $2? I'm totally getting a couple!