Menu

Piano Lesson Question

apennieformythoughts

My daughter is starting her first piano lessons on the 10th. A regular sized piano won't fit in our house, so I'm looking at digital options. 88 key digital pianos are EXPENSIVE. How many keys is necessary for a beginner? The less keys they have, the cheaper they are. But I don't want to buy one that ultimately isn't going to serve its purpose. Any tips? 

If you don't get a full keyboard now, you will have to upgrade in the future.

BTDT!

My dd had a smaller keyboard for awhile that someone gave her and then we bought a nice new one with a full keyboard and weighted keys.

Is this a passing fancy or do you believe that someone in the family will be playing it for years to come?

We bought ours around Christmas on Black Friday with a great sale price. Is there one you can borrow until then?

Personally, I'd invest in the very best electric piano that I could afford. You might even be able to find a decent used one. The touch of a piano is so much nicer than a cheaper keyboard. Fewer keys will eventually be an issue, but you can get away with it. The more important parts are the weighted keys and sustain pedal.

I would check with your piano teacher. I know there are teachers around here who won't even teach if you don't have a full size keyboard. :( Luckily, I was able to find one who did, but after a couple of years, she was really pushing for us to get a full size, and we ended up doing that this last year.

I just want to say I love your avatar. I want to come snuggle with that puppy every time I see it!!!

I'm not sure if it's going to be a passing fancy or not. She's also taking voice lessons on opposite weeks with this instructor. Even on CL I'm not finding one cheaper than $300. I was shocked when I realized how far off I was with guesstimating how much one would cost. It's so easy to find regular pianos for free or very cheap, but there's no way I'd even get one through my door. 

Pianos are expensive. We just bought a used studio piano this summer. Honestly, it's not that big. However, my recommendations are...

** don't go on Craig's list or buy one used from a private party unless you know it's been tuned regularly. You could spend some $ on a piano, then have a tuner come in and find that there's no hope for it. I've heard that story many many times

** go to a reputable dealer and get a used piano. We went to a dealer. He's very picky about the pianos they buy used. We did pay some $ for it, but I believe it is worth it. Well taken care of, a piano will last many many years.

Honestly, unless you buy a really good electronic keyboard, you are better off with a piano. The touch of the keys is different. I'd rather play a regular piano. My parents have a nice electric keyboard and it's really about the same size as my studio piano, too.

I'm not sure if it's going to be a passing fancy or not. She's also taking voice lessons on opposite weeks with this instructor. Even on CL I'm not finding one cheaper than $300. I was shocked when I realized how far off I was with guesstimating how much one would cost. It's so easy to find regular pianos for free or very cheap, but there's no way I'd even get one through my door. 

I think the great sale we got around Black Friday was 200-250 dollars.

I would check with your piano teacher. I know there are teachers around here who won't even teach if you don't have a full size keyboard. :( Luckily, I was able to find one who did, but after a couple of years, she was really pushing for us to get a full size, and we ended up doing that this last year.

I just want to say I love your avatar. I want to come snuggle with that puppy every time I see it!!!

Yes, it's definitely a good idea to speak with your piano teacher. The full-sized piano is great to have. 

Our puppy is currently 64 pounds now, and not the little guy in my avatar anymore. He's still adorable, though! 

We have this Casio and it would be a fine starter digital

http://www.kraftmusic.com/casio-privia-px-150-digital-piano-black-bonus-pak.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=cas-px150bkbp&gclid=Cj0KEQjwpvufBRCwzp_zyqfkhrcBEiQA8b-SHCTPH4k_l3rMXcHky94VTTRtR8DuO2llWWKBuwyH6CEaAqn98P8HAQ

I would say definitely do not buy a keyboard and do not buy less than a full 88 key digital piano.  Make sure the teacher you start with is ok with the digital (our piano teacher will not teach kids who don't have an acoustic at home.  ETA - I just saw you had a teacher so you may want to talk to him/her about recommendations). 

Now all that said, we mostly use the digital for travel and composition.  We have a rebuilt antique and much prefer the real piano. I think the digital would be ok for a beginner though for a while. 

Well, having a good piano/electric keyboard in the house will be great for both piano and voice practice.

Musical instruments are always more expensive than one would hope. Really, $300 is very cheap. I would easily spend $1000 on an piano in the blink of an eye, if it was half decent.  Just to compare across the board with other instruments, good beginner violins are about $400, band instruments range $150 - $1000, percussion adds up fast. About the cheapest instrument I've found is the guitar or ukelele. Recorders are nice and affordable, too. ;)

You can't really go into music lessons with the idea of NOT spending money. The instrument is only the starting point. Adding up the cost of the private lessons and/or group classes or ensembles, you'll quickly find that it's an expensive pursuit if you keep at it for multiple years. It's so worthwhile, though! 

. It's so worthwhile, though!

It really is. I had quit a few years of piano lessons as a child. I am by no means a great pianist, but I can sit down and entertain myself for quite a while. It is one of the things I am most thankful to my parents for, that they got me a good teacher and "made" me take lessons and "made" me practice.

I would go with a real piano, of decent quality. Are you LDS? I have heard you can get on a waitlist for a piano when any of the local wards replace one. Free, I think, or quite cheap. Maybe other Churches do the same?

My daughter's "good student quality" violin (full size) was $2,000, and the bow was $500. I bought the "decent" quality case on sale for $160. Just today I paid an audition fee for a state-level honors orchestra. Private lessons, etc... it does add up. Quickly. 

My daughter's "good student quality" violin (full size) was $2,000, and the bow was $500. I bought the "decent" quality case on sale for $160. Just today I paid an audition fee for a state-level honors orchestra. Private lessons, etc... it does add up. Quickly. 

Yes, violin prices make me scared. How can something so small cost so much money?! They are beautiful instruments, though. I have two dc playing violin. It's a whole new world for me, a piano player. We've moved through 3 sizes, and pretty soon they'll both be in full-sized instruments. 

Also, I've had several people tell me (we are just 4 months into lesson so I'm far from an expert)..and I don't think I've seen it mentioned yet....but if your child is used to practicing on a cheaper keyboard, where the keys are not weighted...when they go to actually use a real piano...they will struggle because they are not use to the difference in weight of the keys.   A digital piano, where the keys are weighted the same as a real piano, eliminates that issue.  A piano teacher told me she can ALWAYS tell at recitals which child had a non-weighted keyboard at home, by the way they struggle.

Yes, violin prices make me scared. How can something so small cost so much money?! They are beautiful instruments, though. I have two dc playing violin. It's a whole new world for me, a piano player. We've moved through 3 sizes, and pretty soon they'll both be in full-sized instruments. 

I hearya! Our private violin teacher said it makes a big difference in what a student gets out of lessons if we could avoid "violin shaped objects" - VSOs - his term for low quality violins, so we sucked it up and spent the $. We have piano players here, too, and I agree that the strings/violin scene is different.  

Kids and their expensive enrichments! ;)

I did email the teacher tonight, and she said that she would need a full keyboard with weighted keys, a damper, and a soft pedal. It looks like this is an expense I'm not going to get away from. I WANT to get a real piano. I can actually find those cheap or free pretty easily in my area. But there's no way I'd get one through our front door. 

. I can actually find those cheap or free pretty easily in my area. But there's no way I'd get one through our front door.

How narrow is your front door? The piano movers have no problem getting my upright piano (23"depth) through my standard size front door (just measured 35" wide). The movers use the condo's elevators without problem too.

For what it is worth, we have a digital piano (Yamaha Clavinova from 2011) that I absolutely adore. Even when I have space for an acoustic piano again I won't be getting rid of the digital. For practice it is hard to beat, the headphones are wonderful and the feel of it is very nice. When I switch to my teacher's Steinway it isn't a big adjustment, honestly. No more than from one acoustic to another, where each had its own character.

Don't dread the digital if it's what you need to do. They can be wonderful instruments, albeit very different than acoustics. Both are quality and valid keyboarding instruments.

The teacher actually recommended a Yamaha Clavinova to me! I just really don't have $500- over $1k to spend on a digital right now. Regular pianos can be found fairly cheap, but then I'm afraid it will be broken or hard to tune or something like that. I think we'd get more use out of a digital one too. But man is that expense kicking me in the gut. I'm dedicated to making this opportunity available to her though!

We have a digital that suits are needs just fine. The piano teacher has no problems with it, and has never suggested we think about upgrading to a real piano. When they were younger they could put the pedal on a box so that they could reach it. (short legs) now it sits on the floor for Eldest and on the box for Youngest. 

To give you an idea of what level my boys are at here they are at the Summer recital they went to this year.

Wow! He's very talented! I like the idea of being able to move the pedal where they need it too. My 11 year old is tall, so it wouldn't be an issue for her, but if my 8 year old shows interest, she's very petite. Thank you for all of the advice! This is stressing me out, but I'm committed. I just wish I could make the money fall from the sky. It doesn't sound like the teacher wants her to start out with a smaller keyboard, so I don't know if holding off until Black Friday will work, but I'd really want to if I could find one for that price.I can stomach $250 in one shot better than $500 or higher.  :nopity:  (haha, that emoji is fitting).

We have a Casio electronic keyboard with 88 weighted keys.  DH, the King of the Internet Shoppers, says he paid around $200 for it new.  (About 18 months to 2 years ago.)  He is a member of things like "Smart Deals" and "Tech Bargains" (about which I know nothing).  The accessories were a separate package, but not terribly expensive.  I think it's best if you can take the time to shop around.  Good luck!

I think a digital is fine if your teacher is agreeable.  I would just add though, if you get to mid/late intermediate to advanced classic, you cannot get the phrasing, balance, and articulation you can out of a digital that you can in an acoustic.  Lots of kids have no interest in getting to that level, and many teachers don't teach to that level either.  Just something to think about if your child shows special interest.  My kid tried to practice this piece on a digital on vacation and it was almost useless (I'll delete this after a bit for privacy and sorry it's blurry!  You can PM me if you miss it.).  This kid has been playing 8 years.  By about 3-4 years in, he would have needed to switch (his teacher actually doesn't teach kids with digitals at all, that is just his policy). 

<link removed - I'm happy to PM it to anyone>

The casio one we have is very simple, it does not have a lot of bells and whistles which you really don't need for piano lessons.  We were at a music event last night where the pianist was transposing music on the fly with his piano - lol!  Very cool, but not needed for basic piano lessons!  But it is fully 88 weighted keys.  We got a good deal on ours too. 

For what it is worth, we have a digital piano (Yamaha Clavinova from 2011) that I absolutely adore. Even when I have space for an acoustic piano again I won't be getting rid of the digital. For practice it is hard to beat, the headphones are wonderful and the feel of it is very nice. When I switch to my teacher's Steinway it isn't a big adjustment, honestly. No more than from one acoustic to another, where each had its own character.

Don't dread the digital if it's what you need to do. They can be wonderful instruments, albeit very different than acoustics. Both are quality and valid keyboarding instruments.

The digitals are also portable, if you want to play in another location. 

I'm really glad we invested in a good upright Yamaha, but there are many, many times I would have appreciated the headphones and portability of a digital piano.  And a transposing function can be a real life-saver for vocal practice.