Menu

Do you have a favorite part of a children's book that just triggers the silly-giggles in you?

Tap

What is a kid's book that has something that you laugh at every time you see it.  Just something silly that hits your funny bone.  Not a profound book.  Just some little thing. that cracks you up.

For me, it is in the book Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin.

When the worm makes a macaroni necklace at school.  There is just something about that image that I love.  I saw that book on a book shelf at my daughters daycare the other day, and I had the uncontrollable urge to go grab it and read it, just for that one page.  

I always love the scene in Anne of Green Gables when she first meets Matthew and they're driving along the road.  She's gabbing away and he's just as silent and stoic as he ever is.  She says something like "Oh that's a beautiful lake.  I'm going to call it the Lake of Beautiful Sunshine and Glistening Flowers of Happiness.  Is that what you'd call it?"  He just nods or something.  Ugh.  I'll probably come back and fix this tomorrow because I know I don't have it just right.  Regardless that part always makes me laugh.  

For me, its the animal parade in "Owls in the Family" by Farley Mowatt.  I read this aloud to my boys and I just could not stop laughing to finish reading the scene.  So then my oldest son picked it up to read it and he laughed so hard.  My younger son was laughing at us laughing, but couldn't read well enough yet to understand it.  So, poor kid, had to wait until we recovered to read it aloud to him. 

I adore The Monster at the End of This Book. When I was a kid I would read it over and over, and laugh and laugh every time.

Thanks to Elmo, I boycott Sesame Street so my kids haven't seen it and don't appreciate Grover, and don't fully understand what's so funny to me. It's not just one line, though, it's really the whole book.

I adore The Monster at the End of This Book. When I was a kid I would read it over and over, and laugh and laugh every time.

Thanks to Elmo, I boycott Sesame Street so my kids haven't seen it and don't appreciate Grover, and don't fully understand what's so funny to me. It's not just one line, though, it's really the whole book.

I'm sorry to sound so clueless, but why do you boycott Sesame Street because of Elmo?

Ditto that question. Is it because he's annoying?

I was wondering if it was because Kevin Clash (who did Elmo's voice) was accused of having sex with underage teenage boys? (Kevin Clash was acquitted of the charges because one accuser recanted his story, and the others waited too long to file their claims, so we will never know whether or not he was guilty.)

I'm not sure what the actor has to do with the character, though -- and someone else does the voice of Elmo now, anyway.

I was wondering if it was because Kevin Clash (who did Elmo's voice) was accused of having sex with underage teenage boys? (Kevin Clash was acquitted of the charges because one accuser recanted his story, and the others waited too long to file their claims, so we will never know whether or not he was guilty.)

I'm not sure what the actor has to do with the character, though -- and someone else does the voice of Elmo now, anyway.

Whoa!  I have not been keeping up on my Elmo news apparently.  We watched a documentary on him last year and he had a pretty amazing story (overcoming being different as a kid, rising from poverty, good family man).  Don't know what to think now.  

Back on topic - 

DD and I both loved the scene in Carry On, Mr. Bowditch when he was presented an impossible math question and then everyone else at the dinner party moves on and talks about other things.  Then out of nowhere he answers the question that he had been working out in his mind.  For a week after we read it we would quote that line to each other and then burst out laughing.  DH didn't find us amusing and ended up reading the book himself to see why it was so funny.

Whoa! I have not been keeping up on my Elmo news apparently. We watched a documentary on him last year and he had a pretty amazing story (overcoming being different as a kid, rising from poverty, good family man). Don't know what to think now.

I know he has been openly gay for years, and at the time, I couldn't help but wonder if his accusers were out for money -- they were suing him, not trying to press criminal charges against him, if I'm remembering correctly. It just seemed awfully convenient that one guy went after him, and then other guys started accusing him and jumping on the lawsuit $$$ bandwagon... and then the first guy completely reversed his story.

Something always seemed wrong there.

The napping house, peanut butter rhino, gping on a bear hunt,squeaky door...I can list a dozen more but thesr come to mind because dd starts giggling. Before I get to the good parts and that just warms my heart and gets me giggling with her

Absolutely adored that book when I was a kid. My kids do not have grover appreciation though.

I also loved Bert's Hall of Inventions. I think that is its name. For every invention Ernie showed Bert an animal that already did what the invention does.