Menu

Getting up to speed with math?

My 15yo ds has always eschewed math, convinced that he's "not good" at it. However, he's got an impressive understanding of science in general and now realizes that he wants to go into engineering...which means he's finally committed to doing the math. We've tried many programs, but never stuck to any one thing. I know now that that was a big mistake, so I'm trying to rectify it as best I can.

I realize he's behind the eight ball right now, so I want to make sure any gaps are filled in and that he has a good preparation for something more rigorous later on. There doesn't seem to be an excellent way to do that, but maybe there's a good enough way for someone who is motivated?

I've considered Teaching Textbooks, but I don't really believe that it will be a good fit for his future plans. I'm wondering if aleks.com would work - if it would fill in gaps, and provide a good foundation for the more intense work down the line. Or, is there something I should consider instead?

If you need to shore up, then comprehensive programs like EPGY open enrollment or even the newer material on khan academy can be good choices, because they systematically identify weak spots and drill on those, while allowing the student to speed through solidified concepts. 

Other than that, you will need to do some kind of assessment to identify weaknesses and appropriate starting points.  With that in mind, it's a little easier to identify an appropriate path forward.

It's never too late -- some kids taking remedial college math classes end up with various stem degrees.  For an engineer, a lot of math will be needed, but not all as a freshman in college...

Jann in TX, right now, he needs to review some pre-algebra, but would otherwise be able to start with (and do well with) algebra; he's skipped around a fair bit on Khan so it's hard to get an accurate assessment. I've been tinkering around with Khan this evening and I think I'm going to assign him one of the missions to see how he does. I think it would be hard to assess where he needs to be exactly, but I am thinking a quick review of pre-algebra would be a good starting point. I don't think it would take him long to come up to speed.

Thanks for all of the advice and especially the various programs - I'm going to look into each of them see what might be a good fit. I appreciate the input!

If Teaching Textbooks appeals to him, don't shy away from it….A solid understanding is the best way to progress in math and the best way to that is a math program that works for you….My son is a physics major…his senior year, he did TT PreCalculus, mostly because the program we used for Algebra 2 was a train wreck for him.  I was looking for something that would review what he'd done that I could call PreCalc on his transcript.  It wound up being a great decision.  He has only gotten As in Calc 1 and 2 in college, despite not having Calculus in high school, like many of his classmates.  He did have good grounding in previous math and he was ready.  Start where he is with a program that makes sense to him.  Best to you!

This isn't anywhere at your level, but my rising 4th grader has been doing poorly at math. I finally realized it was the program we used and bought a new one. But in order to switch to the new one, he has to start in the 2nd grade book.

We don't have time to double up on math lessons during the week, but I want him to finish at least the 2nd grade and 3rd grade book this year, and the 4th grade and 5th grade book next year.

How will I get through 4 math books in 2 years?

Oh, yeah! I forgot! There aren't 180 days in a year. There are 365 days in a year.

Instead of doubling lessons M-F, we're just going to do one lesson a day. A day. Not a school day. A day.

There are only 170 lessons per grade in his math, so in 340 days (less than a calendar year) he'll be through 2 books. We're going to do math every day except for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

This doesn't quiet answer your question of what sorts of curric to use, but don't forget that you have more than 180 days a year to work with. You have 363 (if you take off for Thanksgiving and Christmas).

Math year-round.

TT is not the strongest program, but a student who completes and understands TT will be much better off than a student who fails to complete or fails to understand a stronger program. Frankly I think they will be better off than many of the PS students, who have "passed" programs which are technically more rigorous based on magical extra credit at the end of the semester.

Since he has struggled with math before, it might be a good fit for him. If he makes it through precalc before the midpoint of his senior year, at that point you should have him take a placement test at any local college available for dual enrollment and start wherever he places.